Rodja's Watermelon White Flood Log

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, I'd like to thank RenegadeRows and the Controlled Labs team for allowing me to log this. I haven't run a supplement log in awhile, but I've had a training log up for about 7 straight months. In that time, my strength has exploded to levels I've never even approached. This is partially due to being finished with school and working at home and also from lifting off and on with powerlifters.

Current Maxes:
Squat: 375x1
Bench: 275x1
Deads: 475x1
Push-Press: 205x5

These are my main lifts and everything done is to increase my strength on these. It's hard to explain my training, but it's basically a linear periodization with a little twist.

Training Week:
Mon: Squat, Conditioning
Tues: P-P, BJJ
Wed: Light Cardio
Thur: Deads, BJJ
Fri: Off
Sat: Bench, Conditioning
Sun: Off

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I'm here!!! :D
I can't wait to see this one...
Very nice looking numbers so far man.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did yesterday's session about 2 hours before the WF made it to my doorstep (UPS takes forever to deliver here), so I won't have a real session with it until Thursday when I go do Deadlifts and BJJ in the evening.

Starting Stats:
5'10"
208 lbs
~12-13%

My diet got a little too relaxed lately (I have to quit hanging out with so many powerlifters), but I was getting far too bloated and my belt was getting snug. However, I will still have some cheat meals throughout the week (probably the day before squats and deads for the extra bloat/cushion) as I am pretty damn sure that the extra calories, despite not being overly clean, have been a factor in my strength growth.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
What am I going to do until Thur?!?!?!?!? :D

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do what I did: eat an epic meal at Olive Garden to get some extra bloat for tomorrow :D

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do what I did: eat an epic meal at Olive Garden to get some extra bloat for tomorrow :D
Bread sticks, I could eat those all day:yup: In to follow I also follow your training log

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
6/23

Deads
135x8
225x5
315x3
365x1
405x1
455x1 FAIL

Walking DB Lunges: 60x12, 60x12, 70x12, 70x12
Good Mornings: 115x12, 135x10, 135x10, 135x10
Hanging Leg Raises/Kneeling Cable Crunches: BWx12/130x20, BWx12/160x15, BWx12/160x15, BWx12/160x15

DC Stretches

Well, I was severely disappointed in this session, but it all started last night when I, somehow, managed to tweak my lower back during...*ahem*...intimate time with the wife. I had no burst and was in a lot of discomfort. I tried to shake it off and go for it anyway, but it just wasn't in the cards. I regrouped and hammered out my assistance work and it went really well. Good pump in the thighs, which isn't normal, and I was able to really focus in on the arch during the GMs.

Initial Impressions:
Taste is excellent; not chemically or unpleasant at all
Mixes very well
Good energy off of just 1 scoop (I wanted to assess efficacy and start low)
Increased sweat and pump

I'll be using 1.5 scoops tomorrow as it didn't have enough kick for my liking. It still provided some good energy, but I need a bit more these days with the extra conditioning and BJJ.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Took a min to find, subd. How how did you ever get your bench up so fast? GRRRR

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Took a min to find, subd. How how did you ever get your bench up so fast? GRRRR
Working with dudes that bench over 500 lbs will give you bit of extra fire you never had. Also, having someone hand off the bar to you so it can settle in your hands and on your lats if HUGE.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
6/24

Bench Deload

Wide Pullups: BWx6x4
Bench: 135x5x5
Wide, Neutral Pullups: BWx5x3
Flat DB Press: 70x10, 80x10, 90x7
Close, Neutral Pullups: BWx5x3
JM Press: 135x10x4
BB Curls/Pressdowns/TYI: 95x8/160x20/20x6, 95x8/160x20/20x6, 95x8/160x20/20x6

DC Stretches

I moved my bench session to a day earlier because I'm moving this weekend. The actual benching was more about getting the groove and really popping my elbows out after I push the weight off my chest. Now, after that, the WF started to really kick-in. I usually don't get into these sessions too much because I'm not driving out huge weights, but I was all kinds of fired up starting with the second round of pullups (BTW, everyone should do pullups between sets of pressing). I was sweating my ass off, grooving to my training playlist, and got an epic pump again, especially in the traps and delts. So far, I really like what I'm feeling from this. The old version gave me about the same level of energy, but the focus on this one is more intense for me.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
6/24

Bench Deload

Wide Pullups: BWx6x4
Bench: 135x5x5
Wide, Neutral Pullups: BWx5x3
Flat DB Press: 70x10, 80x10, 90x7
Close, Neutral Pullups: BWx5x3
JM Press: 135x10x4
BB Curls/Pressdowns/TYI: 95x8/160x20/20x6, 95x8/160x20/20x6, 95x8/160x20/20x6

DC Stretches

I moved my bench session to a day earlier because I'm moving this weekend. The actual benching was more about getting the groove and really popping my elbows out after I push the weight off my chest. Now, after that, the WF started to really kick-in. I usually don't get into these sessions too much because I'm not driving out huge weights, but I was all kinds of fired up starting with the second round of pullups (BTW, everyone should do pullups between sets of pressing). I was sweating my ass off, grooving to my training playlist, and got an epic pump again, especially in the traps and delts. So far, I really like what I'm feeling from this. The old version gave me about the same level of energy, but the focus on this one is more intense for me.

this new version gave better pumps for me than the original, but i definately agree about the focus. glad you are liking taste of the watermelon, i am thinking of getting some-didn't really like the taste of lemonade, at all.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had to push my squat day back a day. The move really took a lot out of me over the weekend.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Hell ya, moving is no joke. I've done it enough to know that your toasted for about 2 days after!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
6/28

Squat: 225x5x5
Box Squat: 225x3, 225x3x3 (w/ average bands)
Good Mornings: 135x10x3
Standing Cable Crunches: 85x15, 100x15, 115x10x2

DC Stretches

Prowler

40Mx10 (60s rest between sprints)

Wow...this day took everything out of me. The squats were a nice technique session, but the box squats were awesome. The band tension at the top was somewhere 180lbs for about 405 total lbs. As a result, I really had to keep EVERYTHING tight and explode off of the box. Well, I was really able to do so and my technique was smooth with the initial burst coming from my glutes and hips.

I did the Prowler session about an hour later after having to run a quick errand and getting caught in some traffic. My hams started to tighten up, but I was actually accompanied this session and he kept me going. Towards the end, I felt as though I was starting to overheat (I was outside in TX heat at about 4PM), but I finished the last 2 sprints. I got a nasty case of Prowler flu afterward and it took me about 30 minutes to come back to Earth.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Care to share some tips to how you plan your sessions and pick what and when you decide to add box squats, me work, de work, and progressive work?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Care to share some tips to how you plan your sessions and pick what and when you decide to add box squats, me work, de work, and progressive work?
The box squats have been added lately to focus more on my power. I've never been great at explosive movements and I've been adding these in lately to work on this. The dynamic effort is one of the things that has been lost over the years, but I enjoy doing them. ME work is a little more difficult to say as I really do it by feel on that day and how my lifts felt the previous week. Also, I take into account the quality of my nutrition and sleep over the previous few days. If both of these are lacking, then I generally will go for a technique day along with some moderate assistance work. One of the major things that I have changed over the past 18 months or so is my rep range on the assistance exercises. I used to keep everything in the 6-10 range, but I've expanded that to 8-15. This has helped to add some extra LBM and it also takes less of a toll on the joints and connective tissues.

My progression is really hard to explain as part of my major jump in strength has been due to improved technique in all the major lifts. As far as overall powerlifting goes, I am still a novice and am constantly improving and learning with each session.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
6/29

Push-Press
185x3
205x3
225x1 (PR)

Wide Pullups: BWx8x3
One-Arm T-Bar Rows (amount added to bar): 90x15, 115x15, 125x12, 125x12
Dips/Neutral Pullups (wide): BWx20/BWx10, BW+25x20/BWx10, BW+45x15 (PR)/BWx10
Close-Grip Pullups/Rear Flys: BWx8/50x12, BWx8/50x12, BWx8/50x12
TYI: 25x6

DC Stretches

Energy was through the roof during this session. In fact, I had to deliberately slow myself down to allow my body to adequately recover between sets because I was flying through everything. The PR on the Push-Press was the heaviest weight that I have ever lifted, but I had a higher equivalency last week with a 205x5 effort. However, the dips was the most reps that I have done at both this weight and attached weight. I usually bang out somewhere between 7-10 reps with 12 on a good day, but I hit a nice groove on this and kept pumping them out. Speaking of pumps, the dips gave me a huge one throughout my chest, delts, and tris.

So far, I'm enjoying this run and I'll be fully rested for next week's training after this weekend.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/1

Deads
135x8
225x5
315x5
365x3
405x1
425x1
455x1
480 FAIL
480 FAIL

I was dead set on going a full ME on this day and that's what I did. Warming-up was smooth until I went up to 405 and then the reps slowed down a bit, but still didn't have a hitch in the movement. 425 was a little tougher, but it came out without any real strain. 455, however, is when things went a little awry. In hindsight, this was my true ME for this day since I had to really fight it the first 6", which is my sticking point on the lift. If I can get it just past that, then I can complete the rep. I put more weight on the bar to try to set a 5lb PR (PR is 475, which was set a few weeks ago). However, I couldn't even budge the damn bar on either of my attempts and I really had to stretch out the kinks that I got in my hip flexors and lumbar from the day. All-in-all, it was a decent session as it was just the 2nd time that I have pulled 455.

Energy was really good and I usually never get a sweat during these kinds of sessions, but I was quite drenched. I kept having to re-chalk my hands because I was sweating s much from my palms and forearms.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/2

2-board Bench Press
225x5
275x5
315x3
335x3
365x1 (reverse black bands)

Kneeling Pressdowns (w/ Fat Gripz): 105x15x3
Dizenzo Rows: Heavy Band x 15, 2-Heavy Bands x12x3
Light Band Pullaparts: 4x15

DC Stretches

A bit of a maiden voyage on this session as I haven't done much training with boards. I was amped up despite training at 9AM for the probably the 3rd time in a decade and was definitely in a much better mood than I should have been considering the time and how little food I had in me. I didn't want to stop training, but my coach told me I was done and I am in no position to argue with a pro about when I should stop for the day. Plus, I'm still working out a few kinks in my technique (mainly the drift and speed of my descent), so it was probably for the best. The Dizenzo rows left a gnarly tightness along my lower lats, specifically the medial area, that I had to roll out immediately after I was done training.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/4

Squats
135x10
225x8
275x5
315x8 (PR)

Box Squats: 225x5, 275x5, 315x3, 315x3
Good Mornings: 135x12, 185x10, 205x10 (PR)
Decline Situps/Hanging Leg Raises: BW+35x10/BWx10, BW+35x10/BWx10, BW+35x10/BWx10

DC Stretches

Great, great session. I was completely focused and ready to go for this session, but there was a small hitch: I had so much bloat from the weekend that I couldn't get my belt to the appropriate notch. I struggled to get it there and it really restricted my breathing. On my final set of squats, I really ran out of air more than anything as I know I had at least 1, if not 2-3, left in me, but I shattered my old PR and surpassed my goal for the day. Regardless, it was a win. I loosened the belt for the rest of the work and went on with the plan. I've really focused on my Goof Morning technique and decided to go heavy to see where I was and I did far greater than I expected. I've been so focused on setting bigger numbers that I've lost sight of my assistance work for a bit, which is the thing that really leads to strength increases.

Tomorrow, I will be switching gears a bit and adding in more dynamic work for Bench Press to my Push-Press sessions to work on my power.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What were those rows you did? video?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From Matt Rhodes

7/8/2009 12:49:57 PM - Zach Rounsaville
---------------------------------------------
Your Hugeness, what are Dizenzo Rows?
---------------------------------------------

I like that, although Huge is not a good representation of me, now.

Dizenzo Rows are standing lat pulldowns to the belly.

1. Stand in front of a lat pulldown
2. Use the wide grip handle
3. Arch your upper back and squeeze your shoulder blades together exactly the same way you would on the bench
4. Pull the bar down and touch where you do when you bench

I think this really helps you to learn how to use your lats when you bench. At the very least, it pumps up your rear delts and lats.

Plus, everyone names their exercises, so why not the Big Guy?

I hope the description helps you out.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh sounds sweet, and usefull to help with the bench. Ill give them a try.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/6

Overhead Press: 95x8, 115x5, 135x10 (PR)
BB Rows: 275x15, 295x15, 315x12
Incline DB Press: 80x12, 90x9, 90x8
Pullups (wide and neutral grips): 6 sets
Pressdowns (w/Fat Gripz)/Rear Flys: 190x12/50x12, 190x12/50x12, 190x12/50x12
TYI: 20x6, 20x6

DC Stretches

I wasn't able to throw in the banded BP into this, but I still had a great session. I'm working off the bloat from the weekend still, but it's much less than it was on Tuesday when I could barely get my belt to the right notch. After doing Push-Press for about 3 months now, I'm switching back to just Overhead Presses to really focus on my shoulder strength and to lighten some of the wear and tear on my wrists, which are getting pretty bad now. I was hoping to get 7 on them and I easily got 10 and could have pushed out more, but it's still early and I'd rather pull it in a bit than overextend right now.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im still amazed by your rowing strength. So where were gonna add the de bench work? bc ive been thinking about doing that myself.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In to follow your crazy workouts. 315 X12 for bent over rows?!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im still amazed by your rowing strength. So where were gonna add the de bench work? bc ive been thinking about doing that myself.
It's going to be during the OHP days. I'm going to talk to my coaches about where I should place it within the day, though.

In to follow your crazy workouts. 315 X12 for bent over rows?!
I've always been able to row big amounts of weight for some reason. Most people think that you need to have immaculate form during most lifts, but it's not true. Often times, you actually sabotage your strength efforts by being too anal about form.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/7

Deads
135x10
135x5 (double light bands)
225x5
275x3
275x3
315x1
315x1
315x1

Reverse Hypers
70x15
70x15
70x15
70x15

I went out to my friends gym about 45 minutes away to do some new things. First experience with both banded pulls and Reverse Hypers, which absolutely ****ing hurt. My thighs have been getting a bit tight, so I went with traditional stance instead of my normal sumo stance. At the top, the bands added around 140 lbs of tension with about 60 lbs or so at the bottom. My deads have hit a bit of a snag the last month or so after hitting my PR, so I'm making some adjustments and making some changes to my routine and the assistance lifts. The bands really focus me to work on my explosion off the floor, which is my weak area, and I'm going to only pull heavy every other week with either deficit pulls or band pulls used between the heavy sessions. I know my CNS is getting beat to hell and I need to be smart about pulling back over the next few weeks.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Banded deadlifts? Man that sounds crazy hah.
Yea CNS fatigue.. Something many of us, myself included neglect.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/9

Bench
135x5
185x3
225x3
245x1
275x1 (tied PR)
295x1 (maxi; PR)

V-Pressdowns (w/ Fat Gripz): 4x10 (forgot the weight)
Band Facepulls (Avg)/Pullaparts (Monster Mini): 4x15

DC Stretches

Another bitchin' session. I was able to really warm-up and loosen my shoulders since the group on this day was really small and one guy was running late. Typical for me, I managed to set/tie 2 major PRs and then do something incredibly stupid: on the pressdowns, I lost my grip and the V-Handle came flying up and I chipped a tooth in the process. Not a major chip, but I still felt like a dumbass regardless.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/11

Squat
BarX10 (Mast bar)
140x5
230x5
320x1
370x1
410x1 (PR!)

Reverse Hypers
70x12x3

Standing Cable Crunches
70x15
105x15x4

DC Stretches

I got the chance to go squat with my team, which I usually don't get to do. 6 months ago, I was struggling to break 315 and I made 405 my goal for a year from then. At the time, I thought it was a lofty goal, but I set high expectations to keep me driven. Apparently, I severely underestimated myself and what I am capable of accomplishing. The session started out kinda meh; my right groin was tight and I was struggling a bit to adapt to the monolift. However, I go my thighs and hips loosened up and knew it was time to try the long awaited 4 plates. I chalked up, wrapped up my wrists, threw on my belt, and took a huge hit of Nose Tork (it smells like cat piss). Getting under the bar, I was slightly nervous, but I had spotters and the catching straps. I lifted the bar out of the hooks, the mono was moved, I took big air, and started my descent. I heard my coach yelling out, "Back! Back! Back! UP!! UP!!" and, before I knew it, I had just squatted 410. In less than 6 months, I've added 105 lbs to my squat. Next up: 455 by the end of the year.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AMAZING PR!!!!!!!!!!

one day i hope to squat 405. hehe, i'm struggling to get 285X5 full squats. I blame it on longer legs but i should really just tighten my core lol.

Great motivation !

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AMAZING PR!!!!!!!!!!

one day i hope to squat 405. hehe, i'm struggling to get 285X5 full squats. I blame it on longer legs but i should really just tighten my core lol.

Great motivation !
If I had to name 3 reasons for the strength gains, it would be:
1. Proper shoes
2. Heavy, standing core work
3. Box squats

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I had to name 3 reasons for the strength gains, it would be:
1. Proper shoes
2. Heavy, standing core work
3. Box squats

Good advice! I know Mike Mahler (kettle bell guy) really advocates standing core work. What types of movements would you suggest?

having a home gym, the shoes is an issue. I squat barefoot. Box squats are doable, kinda, I would squat onto my bench lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good advice! I know Mike Mahler (kettle bell guy) really advocates standing core work. What types of movements would you suggest?

having a home gym, the shoes is an issue. I squat barefoot. Box squats are doable, kinda, I would squat onto my bench lol.
Standing cable crunches and decline sit ups.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/12

Overhead Press: 115x5, 135x3, 145x8 (PR)
Pullups: 3 sets wide, 3 sets neutral
Incline DB Press: 80x12, 90x8, 90x8
Pressdowns (w/ Fat Gripz)/BB Shrugs: 190x12/295x15, 190x12/295x15, 190x15/295x15

DC Stretches

Great, great, great session. I took a few months off of straight OHP and it's paying huge dividends. My conditioning is a bit off right now because I find myself having to slow down a bit because my HR gets a bit too high, but that can easily be corrected and adjusted. I do NOT attribute it to the WF as this only happens during the accessory work and when I'm supersetting.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
What do you wear for shoes when lifting?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/15

Deficit Deads: 135x5, 225x5, 315x3, 365x1, 405x1
Deads: 405x3
Walking DB Lunges: 70x12x3
Kneeling Cable Crunches/Hanging Leg Raises: 160x15/BWx12, 190x12/BWx12, 190x12/BWx12

DC Stretches

7/16

Bench
135x8
185x5
225x3
275x5 (reverse green bands)
315x3 (reverse green bands)
365x1 (reverse green bands)
405x1 (reverse green bands, 2-boards)

Pressdowns (Fat Gripz)/Band Facepulls: 80x12x3/Green Band x12x3

DC Stretches

Getting to the end of the tub; I probably have another 4-6 sessions left. Deads was more or less a deload session as I've hit a bit of a plateau lately. Plus, I really hit a major PR on squats and I know the CNS could use a break. I decided to do a lot of reverse band work for bench to get the feeling of having extra weight in my hands and maintaining technique as the weight gets heavier. My results so far have been mixed in that area.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Awsome PR man! Yea im with you on the deadlift platues. Keep killing it and youll smash your meet

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
FINAL REVIEW:

I'll break this down into several categories:

Flavor: 9/10
Very smooth and didn't taste overly artificial. It also was not overly sweet, which is usually the case with Watermelon flavors.

Mixability: 10/10
2 ice cubes, Blender Ball, shake, and it's done. No clumps at all and took about 20s to disperse.

Energy/Focus: 8/10
I took a little longer to kick in than I expected, but, once it did, it was a clean, smooth energy. I didn't have a 1,3 high, but I also didn't get the crash or appetite suppression that I get with 1,3.

Thermogenesis: 10/10
This kicked in before the energy and I would often find myself sweating while I was foam rolling and doing my pre-hab. By the end of the session, I would be drenched and my towel was saturated.

I would definitely recommend this to people in the future. The price is great and you get a whole lot of servings. I didn't notice any attenuation to the product and that's pretty rare on the pre-WO market right now. I also liked the changes to this one compared to the OG version.