Dropping Fat and Adding Muscle w/ X-Factor Advanced (50 Day Log)

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established

MOLECULAR NUTRITION - X-FACTOR ADVANCED

Goals : Gain muscle and lose fat. I don’t really subscribe to the idea that I need to bulk up first, then cut later. I believe with X-Factor, proper nutrition, and a good training program, I can accomplish this goal. I have lost a good bit of fat over the last 4-5 months while gaining muscle, but have since plateaued (especially in terms of fat loss) for the most part.

Starting weight : 205.7 lbs
BF% : not sure...the Tanita scales I use are pretty worthless as far as accurately gauging bf% goes. Maybe some of those who follow this log can give me an estimate based on the before photos that I will post up.

Measurements : I ordered a myotape this morning, so it should be here by Wednesday. Once it gets in, I will take my measurements.

Diet : As a vegetarian, my protein comes primarily from milk, whey, casein, lentils, split peas, peanut butter, and cheese. I drink three protein shakes per day which combine : 1 serving of ON Whey and 1 serving of ON Casein mixed in 2% milk. My other three meals usually consist of lentils or split peas, asparagus or green beans, and a few slices of cheese. I also try to fit in one salad and a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter.

Training : I am strictly a garage trainer and a have a relatively decent set up that allows me to get everything done at home. My split will look like this for a few weeks:

Chest/Back
Legs
Biceps/Triceps
Shoulders/Abs

*My arms are a trouble spot and don’t grow very easily, so I plan to put special emphasis on these muscle groups
*Glutes are also a trouble spot even though quads are naturally large and respond well, so I will use a lot of exercises to focus on this : SLDL's, lunges, and hip extensions primarily.
* I get sore pretty easily, so I may have to eventually adjust my routine and off days if there is a significant increase in DOMS.

Other supplements : SNS Beta Alanine (3g per day), SNS Magnesium Creatine (2.5g's per day) Betancourt FullDose Multi, Now EGCG (3x’s per day)

Today (Day 1) is an off day, but I went ahead and started loading the X-Factor in. I took 2 caps this morning and will take two this evening.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
Day 2 + More Starting Stats

Dosing Strategy : 2 caps AM, 1 cap midday, 2 caps pre-workout

Measurements:

Chest : 45.5
Arms : 15.25
Forearms : 12.5
Legs : 25.75
Waist : 36.5

Off day today. Will hit chest and back tomorrow.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
As you can see here (picture in next post), I need to lose the last stubborn pounds of fat as well as add some lean muscle. Hopefully the next 50 days will take care of this.

Chest and back tonight; I'm looking forward to getting this log going and making this X-Factor cycle as productive as possible.

I went to the grocery and got all the supplies I need. Since I have plateaued in terms of fat loss, I plan to eat right at maintenance even though I am planning to continue cutting slowly. No more low carb days, though, and no more eating below maintenance. I feel like this will be more beneficial for fat loss since my leptin levels have probably plummeted significantly over the last several months of dieting.

I'm aiming for 2300-2500 calories on off days and about 2800-3000 calories on workout days.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
Before - March 7, 2011

Attachments

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
I postponed yesterday's workout and did it today since I was busy with a million different things last night.

Chest / Back

weighted push ups - 5 sets of 12 w/ 50lb backpack
dumbell flyes - 4 sets of 10 w/ 45lbs
dumbell pullovers - 4 sets of 15 w/ 45lbs

DB Rows - 5 sets of 12 w/ 50lbs
Pullup negatives - 4 sets of 12-15
Barbell shrugs - 4 sets of 15 w/ 110lbs

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice! I'm in man!
At some point, try taking all 4 XFA preWO...I think you'll like the result :)

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
Thanks schizm! I started off with two caps twice per day mainly just to assess tolerance. I may give that 4 cap dosing a try with arms workout. I've heard the pumps/vascularity is great!

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
I'm already feeling some major soreness today, but I wouldn't automatically attribute this to the XFA. My chest *always* gets sore regardless of weight, volume, etc. Back, however, hasn't been this sore in a while. It might be that I really pushed myself hard with the pullup negatives. I can only do two full wide-grip pullups, so I have started finishing each set with about 12-15 slow negatives. So this might likely be the main reason for the soreness today.

So far, so good. No sides at full dose of XFA. Legs tonight. I'll try the 4 caps pre-WO tomorrow with arms and see how the pump is.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks schizm! I started off with two caps twice per day mainly just to assess tolerance. I may give that 4 cap dosing a try with arms workout. I've heard the pumps/vascularity is great!
the pump IS great at 4-5 preWO....I'm finishing my 50 day run tomorrow...never did have any sides from XFA...or increased soreness, which I was trying to intentionally...of course it prolly helps that I use 25-30g of bcaa/eaa intraWO...looking forward to the results of your arm workout though...whhhheeee!

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You taking 4 or 5 caps a day? I've been taking 4 thinking of bumping it to 5.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
I'm just taking 4 caps right now, but I have thought about bumping it up to 5 at some point. I've heard some say that results come faster and that the pumps are amazing like schizm said!

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
Leg/Glute Day

I have naturally large thighs even when I'm not working out. They also tend to grow easily with even the most basic leg routine. Genetics I guess. Glutes have always lagged, though, so I am incorporating a leg day that focuses primarily on bringing this muscle up to par with the quads.

My leg workout tonight will consist of :

-DB Lunges (4 sets)
- Stiff Leg Deadlifts (4 sets)
- 1 Leg DB Squats (3 sets)
- Hip Extensions (3 sets)

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm just taking 4 caps right now, but I have thought about bumping it up to 5 at some point. I've heard some say that results come faster and that the pumps are amazing like schizm said!
fwiw, After a couple weeks of my run doing 4/ED, I bumped it up to 5/preWO and 3 on off days....a couple of times did 6 & 2...but found the 5 & 3 better for me, which had a great pump effect for the workout & still maintained the muscle hardness on non WO days...which dropping down to 2 on off days didn't seem to do quite as well...and the extra 1 pill preWO didn't do much more than what the 5 was doing...

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
fwiw, After a couple weeks of my run doing 4/ED, I bumped it up to 5/preWO and 3 on off days....a couple of times did 6 & 2...but found the 5 & 3 better for me, which had a great pump effect for the workout & still maintained the muscle hardness on non WO days...which dropping down to 2 on off days didn't seem to do quite as well...and the extra 1 pill preWO didn't do much more than what the 5 was doing...
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably try to experiment with some different dosing schemes throughout the course of the log. I definitely want to try the 4-5 pre-WO.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
Day 6

Last night was leg day, so I expect to start feeling some soreness, primarily in the glutes, by tonight at least.

DB Lunges - 4 sets of 8 w/ 50lbs db's
Stiff Leg Deadlifts - 4 sets of 8-10 w/ 110lb on barbell
1 Leg DB Squats - 3 sets of 10 w/ 40lb db's

I'm also slowly but surely changing my diet and completely getting rid of carb cycling for awhile, especially considering that I never do it properly and never refeed/reload carbs to the extent that I should. I will be adding more rice, baked potatoes, and oatmeal each day in order to get more carbs.

Today...arm day with the 4 cap pre-WO dose. I have already taken 1 cap upon awakening, so I may go ahead and bump my dosing up to 5 caps per day.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
in for one hell of a log!

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
I managed to get my workout in relatively early today. Took 4 caps about one hour prior to workout. (for a total of 5 with the cap I took in the AM).

Arms

Barbell curls - 4 sets of 5 w/75 lbs.
Hammer curls - 4 sets of 8 w/40 lbs
Concentration curls - 4 sets of 12 w/ 30lbs (*last set went to failure)

Lying Tri extension - 4 sets of 8-10 w/ 65 lbs)
Pressdowns - 4 sets of 12 w/ 70 lbs (10 on last set to failure)
Tricep kickbacks - 3 sets of 12 w/15 lbs. (I can't go very heavy on these for some reason...always feels like I'm going to tear something)

* I also incorporate CoC grippers on arm days...using the #1 which is 140 lbs. of pressure. I do about 5 sets of 10. I need to go ahead and order some new ones--# 2 perhaps.

Notes: Pump was good today. I measured my arms with the myotape immediately after finishing the workout. Arms seemed to measure about .10-.15' more than they did when I measured them prior to starting the log. NO products (ie arginine, PLCAR, etc) never give me any increase in measurements/size, and I have tried almost all of them. They definitely feel harder too.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I managed to get my workout in relatively early today. Took 4 caps about one hour prior to workout. (for a total of 5 with the cap I took in the AM).

Arms

Barbell curls - 4 sets of 5 w/75 lbs.
Hammer curls - 4 sets of 8 w/40 lbs
Concentration curls - 4 sets of 12 w/ 30lbs (*last set went to failure)

Lying Tri extension - 4 sets of 8-10 w/ 65 lbs)
Pressdowns - 4 sets of 12 w/ 70 lbs (10 on last set to failure)
Tricep kickbacks - 3 sets of 12 w/15 lbs. (I can't go very heavy on these for some reason...always feels like I'm going to tear something)

* I also incorporate CoC grippers on arm days...using the #1 which is 140 lbs. of pressure. I do about 5 sets of 10. I need to go ahead and order some new ones--# 2 perhaps.

Notes: Pump was good today. I measured my arms with the myotape immediately after finishing the workout. Arms seemed to measure about .10-.15' more than they did when I measured them prior to starting the log. NO products (ie arginine, PLCAR, etc) never give me any increase in measurements/size, and I have tried almost all of them. They definitely feel harder too.
Very niiiice man! I also thought the pump it gave me was much firmer/solid than what an N.O. pump gives...

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
My arms were sore when I woke up this morning which is somewhat odd, because even when they do get sore, it usually takes a bit longer. It's hard to say whether this is the XFA at this point, as I've really been pushing myself harder since I started taking it. I'm guessing, however, that it's possible for the soreness to be kicking in at this point. It's been about one week and I have taken 4 caps per day, except for the one day I took 5.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My arms were sore when I woke up this morning which is somewhat odd, because even when they do get sore, it usually takes a bit longer. It's hard to say whether this is the XFA at this point, as I've really been pushing myself harder since I started taking it. I'm guessing, however, that it's possible for the soreness to be kicking in at this point. It's been about one week and I have taken 4 caps per day, except for the one day I took 5.
a week in is definitely a point where the DOMS will start becoming more prevalent.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
Although the soreness in my biceps has almost completely gone, my triceps are still extremely sore--tender to the touch really. I'm pretty sure the soreness would have been completely gone by now w/o XFA, so I'm guessing that effect of it has kicked in.

Shoulders/Abs

DB shoulder press - 5 sets of 10 w/40lbs
side lateral raises - 5 sets of 8-10 w/ 20lbs

Abs
lying leg raises (weighted w/ 15lb db's) - 4 sets
hanging leg raises - 4sets
seated ab twists - 4 sets

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
gotta love getting sore to the touch, looks like one hell of an ab circuit too!

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
gotta love getting sore to the touch, looks like one hell of an ab circuit too!
Yeah, I've always loved the pain of soreness. And this is the first time I've really been significantly sore in ages. The only time I get sore like this is the first few weeks after working out again after a long break.

As for the abs, hanging leg raises are the only exercise that really make me sore, and that's just the upper abs I just started doing them a couple of months ago when I put a pull-up bar in the doorway. I can't make my lower abs or obliques get sore for anything, regardless of weight or volume.

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice! I'm in man!
At some point, try taking all 4 XFA preWO...I think you'll like the result :)
What about the rest of the day? Or do you just use the whole days dose at that one time?

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about the rest of the day? Or do you just use the whole days dose at that one time?
yes, on workout days, I use all 4 caps preWO, then none the rest of the day...there's a pretty informative thread (will link it here later) over at bb re: 'maximizing the uptake of Ara in skeletal muscle'...good stuff...

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I've always loved the pain of soreness. And this is the first time I've really been significantly sore in ages. The only time I get sore like this is the first few weeks after working out again after a long break.

As for the abs, hanging leg raises are the only exercise that really make me sore, and that's just the upper abs I just started doing them a couple of months ago when I put a pull-up bar in the doorway. I can't make my lower abs or obliques get sore for anything, regardless of weight or volume.
good to read that the 4 cap PreWO working well for ya :) ...regarding the hanging leg raises, just tossed those in my ab routine last week, had my entire upper/lower abs feeling that for about 4 days...normally can't get sore in the abs upper or lower....loved it!

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
yes, on workout days, I use all 4 caps preWO, then none the rest of the day...there's a pretty informative thread (will link it here later) over at bb re: 'maximizing the uptake of Ara in skeletal muscle'...good stuff...
Interesting. I haven't read this thread. Is the general consensus that 4 caps preWO is better than spacing them out during the day?

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting. I haven't read this thread. Is the general consensus that 4 caps preWO is better than spacing them out during the day?
indeed it is.

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay cool. Hey whats the prefered Xfactor to use? the origianl one or the Advanced version?

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay cool. Hey whats the prefered Xfactor to use? the origianl one or the Advanced version?
I've only tried the XFA, I think generally more people (from what I've read) prefer the advanced due to the lack of sides (joint aches/increased DOMS) from the added omega 3/bosweila (sp?) and still achieve great results...then a handful of people that want to keep anything anti-inflammatory seperate from the supposed Inflammatory response that Ara gives that's believed to be the major moa of it...
...and fyi...here's the link I spoke about...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119490141

Edit: plus depending on where you bought it from, the XFA hits the wallet slightly less for a 50 day run, in that you only need 2 bottles...as opposed to XF you'd need 3 bottles...

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've only tried the XFA, I think generally more people (from what I've read) prefer the advanced due to the lack of sides (joint aches/increased DOMS) from the added omega 3/bosweila (sp?) and still achieve great results...then a handful of people that want to keep anything anti-inflammatory seperate from the supposed Inflammatory response that Ara gives that's believed to be the major moa of it...

Edit: plus depending on where you bought it from, the XFA hits the wallet slightly less for a 50 day run, in that you only need 2 bottles...as opposed to XF you'd need 3 bottles...
This is pretty much exactly how I always answer the question, XFA eliminates the sides making it very user friendly. Some find they respond better to Advanced as far as gains go, others prefer the original.

fitcopforlife

fitcopforlife

Awards
  • Established

Couldn't have said it any better. Big Tim likes the original and I am getting ready to try my 1st log with XF. Really love the XFA so i'm looking forward to the comparison.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info! I'll be strictly dosing 4 caps pre-WO from here on out.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the info! I'll be strictly dosing 4 caps pre-WO from here on out.
excellent, cant wait to see how it treats you!

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
I have been having some killer sinus/allergy problems lately which has sapped my energy...just from the drastic weather changes I guess. I went ahead and hit chest and back today despite the low energy. Fortunately, strength was good despite feeling like hell. 4 cap PWO. Now to see what kind of soreness I get this time...

Chest and Back

Weighted push ups - 5 sets of 10 w/ 50lb backpack
DB flyes - 4 sets of 8-10 w/ 45lbs
Push ups (no weights) - 1 set to failure

DB Rows - 4 sets of 12 w/ 50lbs
Pullup negatives - 4 sets of 12-15
Barbell shrugs - 4 sets of 12-15 w/ 110lbs

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
great volume and weights for going into the lift with low energy!

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
The soreness this time has not been as bad. I'm thinking the XFA hasn't made me significantly much more sore than usual. I think maybe I just pushed really hard with the last chest (as well as arms) workout and automatically attributed it to XFA.

I *definitely* see the muscle hardness people talk about, though, and I am certain it's not something I could attribute to other factors. And I'm now taking 4 caps at a time on both training and off days.

Although I haven't been increasing the lbs. of weight I use recently, I feel like strength is up. And I'm never eating above maintenance-level calories, so under other conditions I would expect to lose some strength.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The soreness this time has not been as bad. I'm thinking the XFA hasn't made me significantly much more sore than usual. I think maybe I just pushed really hard with the last chest (as well as arms) workout and automatically attributed it to XFA.

I *definitely* see the muscle hardness people talk about, though, and I am certain it's not something I could attribute to other factors. And I'm now taking 4 caps at a time on both training and off days.

Although I haven't been increasing the lbs. of weight I use recently, I feel like strength is up. And I'm never eating above maintenance-level calories, so under other conditions I would expect to lose some strength.
for me the hardness, density and fullness to my muscles is o incredibly apparent that no other product works for recomping quite like ArA/X-Factor.

fitcopforlife

fitcopforlife

Awards
  • Established
Cals at maintenance and strength is going up. That's a good sign of ArA working it's course.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cals at maintenance and strength is going up. That's a good sign of ArA working it's course.
absolutely, there are only a handful of ingredients Ive used that have noticeable results without making any changes to my diet, arachidonic acid is certainly one of them.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
Threw a high rep arm workout day in, something I don't do very often these days.

Barbell curls - 4 sets of 10 reps w/60 lbs
Concentration curls - 3 sets of 12 w/ 25lbs
Hammer curls - 3 sets of 15 w/ 25 lbs

Tricep Pressdowns - 4 sets of 12-15 (close to failure at end) w/ 75 lbs
Lying Tri extension - 4 sets of 15 w/ 60lbs

Hit abs at the end and discovered a new muscle that I have apparently never worked. I decided to do 'bicycles' instead of leg raises for lower abs. The burn in that "adonis belt" region was intense, and I'm pretty sure I will be sore there for the first time ever. I've never used this exercise and have never really worked that muscle before. I may eliminate leg raises now.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Threw a high rep arm workout day in, something I don't do very often these days.

Barbell curls - 4 sets of 10 reps w/60 lbs
Concentration curls - 3 sets of 12 w/ 25lbs
Hammer curls - 3 sets of 15 w/ 25 lbs

Tricep Pressdowns - 4 sets of 12-15 (close to failure at end) w/ 75 lbs
Lying Tri extension - 4 sets of 15 w/ 60lbs

Hit abs at the end and discovered a new muscle that I have apparently never worked. I decided to do 'bicycles' instead of leg raises for lower abs. The burn in that "adonis belt" region was intense, and I'm pretty sure I will be sore there for the first time ever. I've never used this exercise and have never really worked that muscle before. I may eliminate leg raises now.
high rep arm days are always a great idea, the abdominal region is so intricate and often times when I do new movements I can get burnt out quick and quite sore!

fitcopforlife

fitcopforlife

Awards
  • Established
Bicycles ouch, I haven't done those in a while. Good idea. Great core movement.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bicycles ouch, I haven't done those in a while. Good idea. Great core movement.
been a good year since Ive done those myself, I tend to keep ab work relatively simple but I know it would only be of benefit to branch out and push myself in ab training the way i do in heavy pressing movements and such.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
I'm taking an extra day off due to soreness. Between weight training and cardio (with a small rebounding trampoline), I am sore in the thighs, calves and arms right now.

I'm switching my whole program up to high reps, slightly lower volume for one week just to fully recover and give my body a change up. The more I read up on incorporating higher reps, the more it seems like a good idea : blood vessels, capillary density, etc.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
been a good year since Ive done those myself, I tend to keep ab work relatively simple but I know it would only be of benefit to branch out and push myself in ab training the way i do in heavy pressing movements and such.
I sometimes think I put too much emphasis on abs at my current level, since I'm still a good ways off from really having visible abs. It will take a good 2-3 month cut before mine really start to show. On the bright side, I can *feel* that I have well-developed abs at this point, but can't see them.

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
Shoulders and Abs

*high rep day*

DB shoulder press - 4 sets of 12-15 w/30lbs
side lateral raises - 4 sets of 15 w/ 15lbs

Abs
Bicycle crunches - 4 sets
hanging leg raises - 4 sets
seated ab twists - 4 sets

Notes : Ab punishment again with bicycles. These still burn like no other ab exercise I've done.

I am noticing a definite increase in vascularity despite being at a relatively high bf%. This is especially noticeable now in the wrists and forearms, biceps, and front delts!

Strength and endurance still way up despite the fact that I have been suffering through the sinus/allergies that go with the March/April weather changes. I am sniffling and with watery eyes right now-- and even have some sinus congestion but strength is not suffering at all.

I think all of the XFA effects have kicked in now and with no side effects. Joints feel perfectly fine at 4 per day.