TrueProtein Premium Flavor Samples Review - 30 flavors reviewed

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I ordered the 30 Premium Flavor Sampler from True Protein to try out the different flavors for my 50lbs of egg protein. I'll post up reviews on the sample flavors (all 50g samples in WPI), mixed in 250ml of water.

I'm hoping I'll find some good flavors to mix with my powdered egg whites. Once I find some winners, I'll order the straight flavoring and add to some egg powder.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chocolate Coconut: 5/10

Mixability: 6/10 - powder dissolved after some shaking, but left clumps and floaties swirling around. Not what I expected from a WPI!

Taste: 5/10 - There was almost no flavor to it, just a hint of chocolate and slight sweetness. Very odd, I had heard this was really good.

Overall: 5/10 - Not my favorite, or even close to it. I'm a bit disappointed in TrueProtein right now. It was a very bland, non-descript protein with not even a hint of coconut. I hope the rest are better...

sarguy

Awards
  • Established
very cool log. There was a similar one on trueprotein's forum a while back, but I think it died off.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome work Milas, this is always hit or miss and having a review like this will make it a lot easier to choose a flavor. The offer to buy half that Egg protein stands man, hit me up!!!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We're all subjective in what we like when it comes to taste. Regardless, I'll be watching this because it's an awesome idea.

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
Subbin here, never heard of trueprotien but the sampler pack looks pretty sweet

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
TP was nothing new IMO. kinda some good flavors but nothing crazy. ive tried almost all of em. mixes really good tho

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
very cool log. There was a similar one on trueprotein's forum a while back, but I think it died off.
Yeah, I checked it out there, but they were a bit old and incomplete. I figured we should have one on AM!

Awesome work Milas, this is always hit or miss and having a review like this will make it a lot easier to choose a flavor. The offer to buy half that Egg protein stands man, hit me up!!!
Offer? I never got an offer? PM me.

We're all subjective in what we like when it comes to taste. Regardless, I'll be watching this because it's an awesome idea.
Agree, there's some subjectivity, but hopefully it'll help guide someone.

Subbin here, never heard of trueprotien but the sampler pack looks pretty sweet
It's owned by Dante of the DoggCrapp training fame. They sell lots of different types of protein you can buy by the pound. Think of it as a bulk protein shop, but the prices are a little high.

TP was nothing new IMO. kinda some good flavors but nothing crazy. ive tried almost all of em. mixes really good tho
Yeah, I'm not a big TP fan, but when you're trying to flavor 50lbs of egg protein, it's a good place to get flavoring and try out the flavors.

Thanks all for joining, I'll be trying out 1 a day (maybe more some days)!

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chocolate Banana: 7/10

Mixability: 8/10 - Mixed much better than the chocolate coconut. In about 10 seconds of shaking it had mostly dissolved, some floaties. About a minute later it was fully dissolved.

Taste: 7/10 - The banana flavor was very pronounced, and only a slight artificial aftertaste. The chocolate flavor wasn't very strong at all, it wasn't balanced, much more of a banana flavor with maybe a hint of chocolate/sweetness.

Overall: 7/10 - Pretty good for a banana flavor, better than the myofusion samples I had on flavor (but myofusion was better tecture IMO). However, I was expecting more chocolate flavor to come through.

The WPI samples make for a pretty thin shake, even at 50g in 250ml water (I usually use more water/milk).

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
I have never had any mixing issues with their isolate protein

I have had some froth issues with their mocha flavor but it is kinda nice as it fills you up fast

Looking fwd to you other flavors

As far as floaties I can say some of their flavor will float on top but never had any issues with it mixing

believer

believer

Awards
  • Established
I alwaysfind their proteins underflavored and under-sweetened...just my opinion. BTW, how much was shipping on that big-boy order of protein?

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I alwaysfind their proteins underflavored and under-sweetened...just my opinion. BTW, how much was shipping on that big-boy order of protein?
Shipping was about $12, but I got some flavoring and their intra-workout jug (3lbs). The 30 flavor sampler was just 30 little baggies of 50g WPI.

Their shipping starts at $10 and goes up from there, which sucks.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Strawberry and Cream: 6/10

Mixability: 9/10 - Mixed very well, dissolved fully very quickly.

Taste: 6/10 - Very artificial flavor IMO, I've had much better strawberry protein. The flavor was sweet, but taste was off. My son tasted it and spat it out.

Overall: 6/10 - While it mixed really well, the strawberry flavor was too artificial and just off.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Doube Chocolate Fudge: 8/10

Mixability: 9/10 - Mixed very well, dissolved fully very quickly.

Taste: 8/10 - So far this one has held up the best, and has a decent chocolate flavor. It has richer chocolate flavor than sweet, I'd say, though the sample I had wasn't really strong or imposing with its flavor.

Overall: 8/10 - It's nothing exceptional, but compared to the others I've tried it is the one I would recommend for someone looking for flavoring. It's more mainstream in its chocolate flavor. It was not as weak or artificial as the others, I could actually consider drinking it over a period of time.

believer

believer

Awards
  • Established
Shipping was about $12, but I got some flavoring and their intra-workout jug (3lbs). The 30 flavor sampler was just 30 little baggies of 50g WPI.

Their shipping starts at $10 and goes up from there, which sucks.
Didn't you order 50 pounds? I meant the shipping cost on that.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, odd thing. I mixed in the Dutch Chocolate Fudge and Chocolate Banana pure flavoring (50g each) with about 10lbs of unflavored egg protein. The flavoring turned out okay, but it has a really harsh almost alcohol aftertaste. I tried mixing in a couple pounds of chocolate Myofusion, and that cut it a little, but it's still there.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Java Mocha: 9/10

Mixability: 7/10 - This one foamed up quite a bit more than the others in a shaker. Not bad enough to affect my overall rating though.

Taste: 9/10 - If you like Mocha/Coffee flavor, this was good. It was not too sweet, and not too artificial. Easy to drink, no strong aftertaste. Really light on the palate, with more coffee than chocolate flavor.

Overall: 9/10 - I prefer something not too overpowering, and this flavor was a good match for my preferences (plus I like coffee). It wasn't too sweet or artificial, a good balance of coffee with hint of chocolate.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Banana Madness: 7/10

Mixability: 9/10 - No problems, mixed quickly and completely.

Taste: 7/10 - This had a really strong, overpowering banana taste to it. It had an artificial aftertaste as well that I couldn't quite place. This one is a strong, in your face banana.

Overall: 7/10 - I would like it better if the banana was not so strong, and if it didn't have the artificial aftertaste. If you love bananas though, this one is strong banana. I prefer the chocolate banana, still had a strong banana flavor, but tempered a little bit.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Banana Cream: 8/10

Mixability: 9/10 - Mixed very easily, no problems.

Taste: 8.5/10 - This was a much more subtle banana flavor, and very palatable. The banana was very light, with some vanilla sweetness. It's the closest to natural banana I've tasted. It's probably the best banana protein I've tried to date TBH.

Overall: 8/10 - If you like straight banana flavor, this is a good one that is not too overpowering, but still gives a good flavor. Kinda surpised given the other banana flavors I've tried were so over the top.

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
Oh, the 50lbs was ~$30 shipping.
thats not a bad price really

Also I have the same isue with my java flavor in any tyoe of protein that I have tried .

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thats not a bad price really

Also I have the same isue with my java flavor in any tyoe of protein that I have tried .
Considering I got 50lbs egg protein for $80 shipped, not bad. Wife hates it, but will deal with me.

The Java tasted good, I can overlook the foaming for the taste. It's really interesting that some of these mix different just based on the flavoring...

believer

believer

Awards
  • Established
Considering I got 50lbs egg protein for $80 shipped, not bad. Wife hates it, but will deal with me.

The Java tasted good, I can overlook the foaming for the taste. It's really interesting that some of these mix different just based on the flavoring...
50 pounds for $80, delivered, is a good buy. Might have to order some...did you use one of their discount codes?

BTW, nice reviews. My feeling is that TP and PF are too inconsistant with their mixes. I've ordered the exact same formula, same flavoring and sweetener, only to have it taste very different. Just my 2 cents.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
50 pounds for $80, delivered, is a good buy. Might have to order some...did you use one of their discount codes?

BTW, nice reviews. My feeling is that TP and PF are too inconsistant with their mixes. I've ordered the exact same formula, same flavoring and sweetener, only to have it taste very different. Just my 2 cents.
It was a very limited supply of surplus, deals over (sold out in a few hours).

It seems like vanilla extract or cocoa powder mixed with Stevia/Splenda all from the grocery store can yield a good mix too...

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Creamy Peanut Butter: 7/10

Mixability: 9/10 - no problems

Taste: 7/10 - had a good peanutty taste to it, but quite sweet. It was a pretty strong peanut flavor, not really subtle.

Overall: 7/10 - It was a good "sometimes" flavor, but I can see how I'd get tired of it pretty quickly. If you like sweet protein, it'd be good, but again the peanut flavor is quite strong. Very little aftertaste though.

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
so are these packets protein in and of themselves or are these just flavor packets you are adding to egg protein?

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so are these packets protein in and of themselves or are these just flavor packets you are adding to egg protein?
They're flavored 50g packets of Whey Protein Isolate.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very Strawberry: 6.5/10

Mixability: 8/10 - had some powder cling to the sides of the shaker cup.

Taste: 6.5/10 - Less artificial flavor than the strawberry and cream. It tasted pretty decent, not overly sweet or strong strawberry flavor to it.

Overall: 6.5/10 - I liked this better as a strawberry flavor compared to the strawberry and cream. It's not my favorite strawberry, but it's not bad IMO.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chocolate Peanut Butter: 7/10

Mixability: 8/10 - had some floaties and cling to the sides of the shaker cup

Taste: 7/10 - Pretty good flavor, not too much chocolate, more peanutty. Pretty sweet, but overall okay. I would've liked a little more chocolate flavor to it.

Overall: 7/10 - A decent flavor, a little on the sweet side, and it could use a bit more chocolate. Not an overly powerful flavor, more on the peanut side, and definitely sweet.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Peanut Butter and Jelly: 5/10

Mixability: 8/10 - had some floaties and cling to the sides of the shaker cup

Taste: 5/10 - Tasted like the peanut butter with some odd, dirty type of flavor mixed in. The aftertase was a bit sweeter like a grape/berry jelly, but not really distinguishable. I did not like the taste, but it was bearable if I needed protein.

Overall: 5/10 - There are much better options, this one was not a good combination of flavors.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Watermelon Wave: 6/10

Mixability: 8/10 - took a couple minutes to dissolve.

Taste: 6/10 - It was a sweet, watermelon bubble-gum type of flavor. It started off with a strong chemical aftertaste, but after drinking for a while it tasted more and more like watermelon bubbaliscious. It still has a bit of a chemical aftertaste, but it was okay for a change of pace.

Overall: 6/10 - While I think I would get sick of this if I had it more frequently, and I didn't like the chemical aftertaste, it was sweet and different. I don't think that qualifies it as a good purchase, unless you like watermelon bubblegum with chemical aftertaste!

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cookie Dough: 3/10

Mixability: 9/10 - no problems.

Taste: 3/10 - This was a pretty bad flavor, very artificial and chemically. I don't want to try cookies made from this kind of dough!

Overall: 3/10 - I couldn't identify this taste, but it wasn't good. I can drink it, but didn't like it.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chocolate Orange: 7.5/10

Mixability: 7/10 - took a couple minutes to dissolve, and left some orange specks on the shaker even after rinsing.

Taste: 7.5/10 - Pretty good balance of orange and chocolate. It was sweet, but not overly sweet like the peanut butter was.

Overall: 7.5/10 - If you like this flavor combo, it's good. I might get sick of it after 5lbs. Good balanced flavor, slightly more orange than chocolate.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chocolate Mint: 6.5/10

Mixability: 8/10 - took a couple minutes to dissolve.

Taste: 6.5/10 - Really light flavor, not enough chocolate IMO. It was okay, but not something I'd rush out to get. Too weak for me, though the mint flavor was alright.

Overall: 6.5/10 - It's not much in the way of a true chocolate mint (chocolate orange was better balance), but the mint flavor wasn't terrible. If you like light/weak flavors, this goes down easy.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Coconut: 5.5/10

Mixability: 8/10 - took a few minutes to fully dissolve.

Taste: 5.5/10 - tasted like plastic, strong artificial flavor too. It was sweet, and seemed to make an attempt at an artificial coconut, but there was a strong plastic overtone to the whole flavor. I hope the Coconut Cream is better, like the Banana Cream was far superior to Banana.

Overall: 5.5/10 - If it didn't have such a strong plastic and artificial flavor it might have been alright. The sweetness was appropriate for a coconut flavor, not overly sweet or anything. However, I couldn't get past the first taste and overtones.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great updates, bro.

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
Yes thanks. Im thinking about doing the recession whey 25 pounder and then getting you're 5 highest rated flavor ratings.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great updates, bro.
Hope it's helpful!

Yes thanks. Im thinking about doing the recession whey 25 pounder and then getting you're 5 highest rated flavor ratings.
Java Mocha and Dutch Double Chocolate are both solid. Banana Cream was good if you like bananas. From there, it'll be based on preference. I hope the descriptions give you an idea what the taste is like, since taste ratings are subjective.