The usual Noob question

armyguy155

Awards
Well guys i'm new here and this happens to be the most informative forum I have found in a while. I am looking for any good advice on supplements. I am looking for a great supplement to help gain muscle, but I do not have the time or money to invest on experimenting. I am looking for some inputs that might be able to help me a little. I just moved to a new duty station and I know noone around the city, and the usual vitamin stores have employees that know nothing about what they are selling. Please someone let me know what is out there that will help me build muscle and not waste my time or money. Thanks for any input. Also, I do run and I am currently 178lbs, but I am trying to add about 10 to 15 lbs of muscle.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Most important is making sure you eat enough. Chicken, Tuna, Beef, Milk, and Eggs can become your best friends. Protein is key. Shoot for 250g of protein per day and eat enough calories with the right training and you will get there.

As for supps. start off with some Whey protein to get you to that protein total and maybe add some creatine also. This will help boost your strength and gain some weight.

These are good staples to start with. Also make sure to take a good Multivitamin and fish oil.

armyguy155

Awards
Thanks for the advice RickRock. I have been using the protein but I have only been taking in about half of what you suggested. I have also been using creatine as well, but I have not tried the fish oil. I am trying to get on a steady eating schedule, but it is hard with the hours I work right now. I was just wondering if there was anything out there right now to help boost the results along a little faster. I am working out 4 days a week right now, and I am still trying to run to be able to pass the PT test obviously. I am just wondering if running is hurting any time I spend eating and lifting.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Most important is making sure you eat enough. Chicken, Tuna, Beef, Milk, and Eggs can become your best friends. Protein is key. Shoot for 250g of protein per day and eat enough calories with the right training and you will get there.

As for supps. start off with some Whey protein to get you to that protein total and maybe add some creatine also. This will help boost your strength and gain some weight.

These are good staples to start with. Also make sure to take a good Multivitamin and fish oil.
^^ This

Buy your protein, creatine etc... in bulk to save money. Its equal if not superior to the likes of branded stuff like MuscleTech and BSN, which are heavily overpriced.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice RickRock. I have been using the protein but I have only been taking in about half of what you suggested. I have also been using creatine as well, but I have not tried the fish oil. I am trying to get on a steady eating schedule, but it is hard with the hours I work right now. I was just wondering if there was anything out there right now to help boost the results along a little faster. I am working out 4 days a week right now, and I am still trying to run to be able to pass the PT test obviously. I am just wondering if running is hurting any time I spend eating and lifting.
Some cardio is good, but don't overdo it e.g. if your having a hard time putting on weight, then cut back to maybe 2 - 3 30min light cardio sessions a week. Either this or eat more, but from your circumstances I guess this would prove more difficult.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
I'd focus on getting that run time better...sounds like u have trouble in that area. gain later

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since it sounds like you are on base forget about protein powder, and just make multiple trips for eggs in the morning, and whatever meat they are serving for lunch and dinner. you don't need that much in protein, what you need overall is calories for weight gain. Shakes are totally unncessary, only valuable for convenience.

As far as impacting your run time, it will if you gain it fast, less so if you gain it slowly.

armyguy155

Awards
I'd focus on getting that run time better...sounds like u have trouble in that area. gain later
Well im not having an issue with my run time. I just dont want to neglect it and have trouble in the future. I see a lot of people saying running a lot will cut into your gains. I am not looking to get into any comps or anything, I just want to put on a little more size.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keep the calories high, especially protein. That's where your muscle comes from. Just any calories don't build muscle. Running won't hurt you as long as you take in extra calories to make up for it. Try an extra 300 to 400 on those days

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
creatine and basics..
i know they are not sexy like natadrol, PM, prime, methyl 1d, etc but trully the creatine and the basics will help and are more than likely to work

good2Badawg

Awards
  • Established
i think rickrock is pointing you down the right road. running will help keep the fat off while bulking, but not without sufficient calories. and shakes are a quick way of getting extra protein in to take you up to at least 180 grams a day but id shoot for like he said about 250. ways to add calories, healthy calories are good fats like nuts, nut butters, oats, fruit, 1%/2% milk, etc. it isnot just about total calories they need to be made of nutritionally sound calories so you dont just add fat or 50/50 fat and muscle. plus, shoot for building strength and take about 2 minutes b/t sets in the gym allowing you to lift max amounts of weight and esure you're not adding cardio/aerobic work into your weight training. and keep the running to like 3 days a week for now, maybe 25-30 minute sessions. strength will help with size and muscle and therefore LBM gains.

but, some supps to help out id highly suggest Anadraulic State GT by LG for a preworkout and maybe even consider a postworkout and then a good protein supplement. i think this is what you were really getting at in your post anyways. if your over 25/30 maybe a t-booster but try to begin building with as little supps as possible then experiment as you get more experience. work hard, eat good, rest well, supplement SMART and results will come!