Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey Review (Chocolate & Vanilla)

Z

zb126

Awards
  • Established
Optimum Nutrition's Platinum Hydro Whey Review

Flavor: Vanilla 8.5/10, Chocolate 8/10 -- The velocity vanilla flavor was the better of the two but both did a great job masking the bitterness of the hydro whey and are both very drinkable. The chocolate has a little bit of a bitter taste but not too much and is lighter on the flavor. The bitterness played well into the vanilla which is less like a vanilla milkshake IMO and more like a plain vanilla flavor. Both were significantly better than some of the various regular whey protein's I've tried, so all is good in this department.

Mixability: 10/10 -- I was very impressed here-- the package says to use 12oz of water to two sample packs which seemed like it was going to be very thick or clumpy but it was thin, smooth and mixed well in just 5-10 seconds of shaking in the blender bottle. As you can see in the picture below, the mixture is very homogeneous and has a consistent texture and color without any settling.

Ingredients: 9/10 -- Optimum Nutrition makes some of the most relied upon proteins in the industry and the ONLY reason I am not giving this a 10/10 is that there is no information currently available explaining the percents of hydrolysis and di- and tri- peptides. This has been a topic of discussion on here and I think the main point is that with 30g of protein, 1g of fat, 2g of cabs and no sugar, ON is producing a high quality product like they always do and its up to the consume to make their mind up on if they are going to purchase it or not. I personally think that this follows ON's tradition of keeping their proteins simple, pure and exactly what is needed.

Price: 8/10 -- Google is telling me that as of today there is a 1.75lb container for $26 which is a little high for my protein purchasing habits but seeing that this is hydrolized whey rather expensive in comparison across the board its a good price. I found the Dymatize ISO Hydrolized whey in a 2lb container for $23 which is the cheapest of the hydro's I could find, but, you get 5 less grams of protein per serving so I'm guessing this will work out to be about the same cost and is therefore competitively priced for the hydro-whey market. GNC is a rip off at thirty dollars for a 1lb tub so the real moral of the story here is that if you are in the market for hydro-whey, ON's is one of the most cost effective products and be sure to order it online instead of purchasing it in the store.

Overall: 9/10 -- ON has a great product here which is not just competitively priced but also has a great flavoring system which will allow more users to enjoy hydrolyzed whey protein and not be turned off by its traditional bitterness. It mixes well, it tastes good and its from Optimum Nutrition, what more could you want? :D

Since I need more posts here to be able to post the actual pictures in the text, here are the links so you guys can see them. The first is the sample packet, second is the mixed protein in a clear glass to show texture and homogeneity. If someone could reply with it in their post that would be cool too :D

h ttp://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2856/onhw1.jpg
h ttp://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4692/onhw2.jpg

I would like to thank Optimum Nutrition and Jay in particular for providing me with the samples, an ON shaker and sample of their casein protein which also is great!

Z

zb126

Awards
  • Established
thanks man! I appreciate it :)

starting on AM with no posts is like when I first joined over at bb.com and man did I feel like a noob (okay, I was but still, hehe)

U

Unreal17

Awards
Seeing that Hydro is pretty new and not much research or reviews have been posted, the price will stay high for a while. Once the product goes mainstreamed and they are all over the place, I can see them lowering their prices no different than any other supplement. ON is not the only company thats going to produce hydro whey. In other words, I am going to stick with standard Protein shakes until this bad boys price goes down.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
I bought the strawberry because it was the last one the store had, it mixes very well, no thibkness at all, tastes good too

Z

zb126

Awards
  • Established
good stuff bro! i'll have to give the strawberry a shot, I usually don't like the fruit flavors but this could be good!