I'm 22, in my last semester of college, and plan on returning to mixed martial arts competition after graduation. I started training in 1998 (yes, when I was 11 years old) but I've been completely away from the sport during the last few years as it's been booming. With all my experience and training from such a young age I know that I can go pro, and I fully believe that I would be fighting professionally right now had I never taken time away from it.
I've taken the better part of this year to get myself back in shape and it's been going great - since returning to the gym seriously back in March I've made consistent strength gains with no plateaus and cut 20 pounds of body fat. Unfortunately, I haven't put on all that much in the way of (yes, I know all about eating right, I've been in sports for over half of my life), but I attribute this partially to not eating too much of a caloric surplus as I was trying to cut body fat. I was recommended to help me put on some muscle mass, did tons of research and read some good and bad reviews, and finally decided to go with it. Here goes the log:
I do chest & triceps on Monday, legs & shoulders on Wednesday, and back & biceps on Friday. Typically, I do four exercises with four sets for larger muscles and three exercises with four sets for smaller ones. Iím currently using principles with most exercises, where I do two heavy sets, then using a weight I could get about 15 reps with I do four sets of 10 reps, with 10-15 seconds of rest between each set. I donít take any supplements for pre workout when I lift - I just eat a big, quality meal about an hour and a half or so before. I used to have a protein shake before I would lift, but I noticed no difference when I stopped doing that. When I get done lifting I immediately have a fat free whey isolate shake (~52g) and sometimes a banana with it, then walk over to the nearest dorm and eat a real meal. Tuesdays and Thursdays I do five miles of intervals early in the morning before breakfast and then do abdominal work and usually another 2.5 miles of intervals in the evening, about 12 hours later. On weekends I do a deck of cards and usually go for a jog outside.
I go to college and live on campus, so I do the vast majority of my eating in dorm cafeterias. Obviously, this doesnít make it as easy to have a great diet as when I was at home over the summer (wheat bread is about the only complex carb readily available in every cafeteria and Iím learning to love it right now), but they put nutrition facts out for all the stuff being served and I do eat pretty damn good given that Iím not shopping for myself. Basically I always keep my protein high and carbs moderate, and drop my carbs even more on cardio days (although Iím slowly adding more in on cardio days). Since starting , I am upping my carbs a bit to help with building muscle mass.
Starting weight - 193 pounds
Day 1 Ė 09-27-09
- First two at 10am after breakfast. Went for two mile jog about 11am. sense of wellbeing for rest of day. Feels like mild amphetamine.
- Two more around 3pm.
- Two more around 9:30pm.
Day 2 Ė 09-28-09
- Two with breakfast ~8am.
- One ~35 minutes before workout
- Two with post workout meal, ~ 2:25pm
- Two with evening meal, 9:30pm
- No noticeable effect but slight energy boost. No noticeable increase in gym. New PR on pec deck and DB flat bench press, but I have moved up in strength virtually every week for months so this should not be attributed to Prime.
Day 3 Ė 09-29-09
- Five miles of HIIT in the morning. Took ~300mg of caffeine immediately
upon rising, then a protein shake (~24g) about 25 minutes before doing
cardio, and a Stacker 2 Xtra while walking across to the rec center. Seemed
a bit easier to maintain at least 270 strides per minute during my sprints.
- Three with breakfast ~9am.
- Enhanced sense of energy and a bit edgy almost, but not a bad feeling. A bit
aggressive but controlled. Want to get through class and tell my professors
and other students to shut the **** up!
- Three with protein shake (~40g) and almonds ~3:30pm
- Two with evening meal ~9:30pm
Day 4 Ė 09-30-09
- Three with breakfast ~8:00am
- Three with post workout meal ~2:30pm
- Two with evening meal ~9:15pm
- Pretty good workout (legs and shoulders) although there were no empty squat racks or squat machines, which pissed me off. Set new PRs on leg press (500 pounds) and behind neck press (105 pounds).
- Definite increased vascularity with both inner forearms. I can see veins not present before throughout the day and when lifting.
Day 5 Ė 10-01-09
- 3.8 miles of HIIT in the morning (normally this would be five, but I cut it
short to get in some extra studying for a test I had this morning). 200mg
caffeine immediately upon rising, then a protein shake (~24g) about 25
minutes before doing cardio, and a Stacker 2 Xtra while walking across to
the rec center.
- Three with breakfast ~9am
- Three with afternoon meal ~2:45pm
- Two with evening meal ~9:30pm
- I donít know if it has to do with running a lot of intervals early in the
morning or what, but it seems like I feel the Prime more on cardio days than
lifting days. When I ate lunch a little after 12pm, it seemed like the effects
of the morning dose returned again. The 9:30pm dose really hit hard tonight
for some reason - itís now 10:30pm and Iím feeling totally amped up, like I
could go for good long run right now.
Day 6 Ė 10-02-09
- Three with breakfast ~8:00am
- Two about 30 minutes before workout ~12:35pm
- Two with post workout meal ~2:20pm
- Two with evening meal ~10:00pm
- I think today is the first day I have really noticed some real effects from Prime. As mentioned before, I seem to get a second wave of it hitting me when I have my second meal of the day. This hit hard as **** today. I had my second meal around 11:15am or so and while I was eating I started to notice it coming on. It was almost like an angry sort of feeling. Angry probably isnít the right way to put it, it was more like I was in a very mood. By the time I was sitting in class at 12:00pm I was amped up as ****, it was that same type of amphetamine feeling Iíve described before. I could not wait to go lift. Although I never miss a day in the gym and never go in feeling like not doing much (itís the highlight of the day for me), today I just had an intensity and focus beyond what Iíve had in the past. I took two more during class, got out and headed to the gym, and had a really great workout (back & biceps). Just last week I set PRs of 160 on the cable row and lat pulldowns, and today I got to 180 on both. I also set a PR of 105 on each side on a Hammer Strength high row machine. Last week I did three sets of 30 and one set of 25 on concentration curls and anticipated staying at 30 for all four sets today. Instead, I started out with 35 for two sets and then dropped to 30 for two sets. I had a nice pump while doing them as well. There seems to be a small increase in the vascularity noticed a few days ago.
Day 6 weight - 194 pounds. I've been eating a lot more this week, as I've read some reviews saying you need to eat big to put on mass with Prime.
Today is October 2nd, the end of my first week of Prime. I made this log pretty detailed for the first week just to give people an idea of my schedule and whatnot. For the rest of the cycle (probably another five to six weeks) I plan on just doing weekly updates and posting when there are noticeable things occuring.