Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rosie's [Mini] Review of MHP's Dark Matter

I used a sample of Dark Matter post-resistance training today...

What is it?

http://store.anabolicminds.com/photos/9333/Dark_Matter_large.jpg

* Absorbs faster that whey isolate
* 600% increase in protein synthesis
* Dramatically spikes insulin
* Creatine transport
* Replenishes glycogen stores and increases cell volume

For write-up see MHP Dark Matter.

Smell: 5/10. The Dark Matter smelled like bubblegum in the packet. Once it was mixed with water it smelt more like fruit and berries, but only faintly.

Taste: 5/10. Not big on the taste. It tasted like a stronger version of LG Sciences BC+EAA in the blue raspberry flavour.

Solubility: 5/10. I had to shake the Dark Matter. It mixed pretty quickly on shaking. It was not really very soluble, kind of ‘mixing’ with the water and 'expanding'. However, this is not the sort of product that 'dissolves', as I realized on seeing its texture after 'mixing'.

Texture: 5/10. Completely unexpected, Dark Matter was thick with the consistency of jelly (only it was thicker than jelly). There seemed to be 'bubbles' throughout it. I had to get out a spoon to eat it. I do not like jelly (never have).

Effects: N/A. I cannot really comment on effects "Absorbs faster that whey isolate",
"600% increase in protein synthesis", and "Dramatically spikes insulin", as I only used ONE serving of Dark Matter. To add to that, I would have to have used whey isolate in the same manner (i.e. post-resistance training) under the same conditions (i.e. re hydration and last meal, etc.); and measured absorption rates of whey isolate and Dark Matter under ‘study’ conditions to know if this was better. A study over an extended period of time, using and NOT using Dark Matter for equal periods of time and with the same diet and training, to see whether there was any difference in protein synthesis whilst using Dark Matter. Also under study conditions (that included a placebo, as well as whey isolate), I would have to have blood tests to see what happened to my insulin levels post-serving (and the few hours afterwards).

Overall: 5/10. I have never used a post-workout product until now. It's also the first time I have used a product that includes Waxy Maize in its ingredient profile. Honestly, I did not like it, and actually prefer having either my Anadraulic State or NeoVar Recomped immediately post-training, before a proper meal within 30 minutes of finishing training.

Would I use again? No.

Would I recommend? I only used one serving. Re effects, a single serving is not enough to notice anything, and I would only be able to say whether or not I would recommend Dark Matter based on its effects if I had used it for a longer period. However, because I personally did not like the product, I would not recommend it at all.

This review is also available in my training/supplementation journal (post #786) in the Supplement Reviews/Logs subsection of the Supplements Forum: The Female Terminator Chronicles.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
nice review Rosie. Reflected what I suspected this product would be. Overhyped, under-delivered.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
nice review Rosie. Reflected what I suspected this product would be. Overhyped, under-delivered.
No worries, Nick. Personally I think such a product is a waste of money, and, like I said, I have never used anything like or similar to before.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I used a tub of this, I was very dissapointed, though I should have known better. The only cool thing this did, was make your poo turn a glowing :surprised:green.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used a tub of this, I was very dissapointed, though I should have known better. The only cool thing this did, was make your poo turn a glowing :surprised:green.
photos or it didnt happen! :18:

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Sean's Review of MHP Dark Matter!

Rosie and I both tried sample packets of this stuff. We were at the Vitamin Shoppe and I figured what the hell so I bought a packet for me and one for her. Well she was a bit more generous with her review of the sample.

Me personally...I give Dark Matter 3's across the board except for smell. The smell at first had me psyched because the smell reminded me of blue raspberry snow cone flavoring if you know what I am getting at there, so I would rate smell at 9/10. Beyond smell what a let down...the stuff tasted like absolute SH*T!!!! In addition it did not mix well at all and texture wise Waxy Maize was very evident. I was definitely not happy with the sample and will not use the product.

To sum up my feelings...insert MHP Dark Matter in place of Colgate toothpaste (the one with tartar control) and you'll catch my drift! :biglaugh:

YouTube - tourettes guy colgate

Sorry MHP, but you failed miserably with this product offering! Controlled Labs Golden Finish and Universal's Torrent are definitely much better post-workout products, or just create your own.

Cheers!:cheers:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just had a question about this:

Smells like fruit and or bubblegum and only a 5 out of 10? Seems like there are much worse smells out there. many of which make me gag on just thinking about it when it comes to supplements. What would get a higher rating from you?

Also, I would think you would have to be kind of careful in perception(if you cared that is) of talking about wasting money on a product then using one of your products as a reference point in what you would rather use.

Just my opinion and observation.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Rosie, try golden gains, if you want a post-workout all-in-one. it's got oats, whey, good fats, a fuit/vegetable nutrient complex, etc, and tastes really good.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just had a question about this:

Smells like fruit and or bubblegum and only a 5 out of 10? Seems like there are much worse smells out there. many of which make me gag on just thinking about it when it comes to supplements. What would get a higher rating from you?

Also, I would think you would have to be kind of careful in perception(if you cared that is) of talking about wasting money on a product then using one of your products as a reference point in what you would rather use.

Just my opinion and observation.
First, I do not like the smell of bubblegum at all. As far as getting a higher rating re smell, look at some of my other reviews re ratings. Every product is different, and the smell of every product will differ as well. Besides, it's not so much about smell as about taste as to what flavour I am going to select re products, as they can smell nothing like they taste and vice versa.

As for using NeoVar Recomped as a 'reference point' (and it was not the only product that I mentioned), I would do that regardless of what company I represented. I am honest and objective in my reviews; that is clear enough in the ones that I have given.

Rosie, try golden gains, if you want a post-workout all-in-one. it's got oats, whey, good fats, a fuit/vegetable nutrient complex, etc, and tastes really good.
Thanks. However, as mentioned I have never used a post-workout product until Dark Matter and probably never will again.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dunno, jayhawk, rosie pimps appnut products less than any other company rep that I see, and reviews competitor products more than other reps. I have personally never tried neovar, and never will; I didn't see her mention of neovar as pimping in any way at all.

Rosie, if you send controlled labs a pm, they'll send you a sample of golden gains. I thought like you about post-workout products: why bother, when I can just eat food? After trying golden gains, my mind is somewhat changed. First, it IS food, the ingredients are very high quality. Second, it contains everything you need post workout to immediately speed recovery. Third, depending on my training, it can be hard to take in enough calories, and a liquid shake with high quality ingredients is a good way to increase good caloric intake without filling you up too much. Fourth, if you train late at night, close to bed time, pounding food is not great for GH release, and I am certain this affects recovery negatively short term, and overall anti-aging negatively long term. Golden gains will provide the post workout nutrition, and digest faster than whole foods, leaving more time for GH release.

The only problem? For me, cost. Unfortunately, I am poor right now. I am not sure I can sustain constant use of golden gains. It's really not expensive, I'm just really that poor right now, lol.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rosie, if you send controlled labs a pm, they'll send you a sample of golden gains. I thought like you about post-workout products: why bother, when I can just eat food? After trying golden gains, my mind is somewhat changed. First, it IS food, the ingredients are very high quality. Second, it contains everything you need post workout to immediately speed recovery. Third, depending on my training, it can be hard to take in enough calories, and a liquid shake with high quality ingredients is a good way to increase good caloric intake without filling you up too much. Fourth, if you train late at night, close to bed time, pounding food is not great for GH release, and I am certain this affects recovery negatively short term, and overall anti-aging negatively long term. Golden gains will provide the post workout nutrition, and digest faster than whole foods, leaving more time for GH release.
Ok. I will try that, then. Thanks...You mean Golden FINISH though (and I have actually wanted to try this for quite a while, since it came out), aye, since Controlled Labs does NOT make a product called Golden Gains...As for training, I rarely train close to my 'bedtime'. Usually my training starts an hour after waking first thing. I like to get it all over and done with and out of the way as soon as possible, as it starts my day and I don't feel right if I haven't done it. I may do 'pm' cardio sessions, but eat dinner 30 min after finishing (and is at least 2 hours pre-bed)...Everyone has methods that work for them...

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Golden finish is now called golden gains, and contains the addition of the fruit/veggie and fat complexes. Same thing, just improved. Golden finish is kind of an odd name, anyway, if your mind frequents the gutter. Lol

Sounds like you got your routine very squared away, no surprise there. Kudos! Anyway, i'd like to hear your feedback on GG.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Golden finish is now called golden gains, and contains the addition of the fruit/veggie and fat complexes. Same thing, just improved. Golden finish is kind of an odd name, anyway, if your mind frequents the gutter. Lol

Sounds like you got your routine very squared away, no surprise there. Kudos! Anyway, i'd like to hear your feedback on GG.
All rightey then :)

Yeah, I do. Just trying out a few other products to see whether or not they would fit into my supplement regime. So far I am pretty set though.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Ok. I will try that, then. Thanks...You mean Golden FINISH though (and I have actually wanted to try this for quite a while, since it came out), aye, since Controlled Labs does NOT make a product called Golden Gains...As for training, I rarely train close to my 'bedtime'. Usually my training starts an hour after waking first thing. I like to get it all over and done with and out of the way as soon as possible, as it starts my day and I don't feel right if I haven't done it. I may do 'pm' cardio sessions, but eat dinner 30 min after finishing (and is at least 2 hours pre-bed)...Everyone has methods that work for them...

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
Golden Gains is a product they make. I would suggest checking it out Rosie. I reviews my use of a Tub and enjoyed it. I didn't see much results, but it tasted great and provided post workout nutrition like it is supposed to. You can still feel the waxy maise texture also.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Golden Gains is a product they make. I would suggest checking it out Rosie. I reviews my use of a Tub and enjoyed it. I didn't see much results, but it tasted great and provided post workout nutrition like it is supposed to. You can still feel the waxy maise texture also.
Thanks for the feedback, Austin.

Possible effects of Golden Gains include:
* Optimize hormone ratios
* Combat toxins
* Combat post-workout crash
* Combat adrenal fatigue
* Optimize blood sugar levels
* Enhance cardiovascular health
* Reduce muscle cramping and soreness
* Support muscle glycogen and recovery
* Prevent catabolism

What do you mean by you "didn't see much results"? Out of the list mentioned you would not know whether or not it was having an effect unless you had bloods and other physiological tests done, pre, during and post-Golden Gains. The only effects you might possibly have noticed (and only if applicable; you may not have had then before using Golden Gains and therefore would not matter if used it) are no post-workout crash, reduced muscle cramping and soreness, and better recovery.

Going by its ingredient profile Golden Gains definitely looks like a solid product.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
of the "effects" that could be noted exterior is what I was referring to, but I never really have an issue with them in the first place. My glucose levels are always pretty constant though so i'm not sure what it means by "optimizing" them (blood test verified).

Thanks for the feedback, Austin.

Possible effects of Golden Gains include:
* Optimize hormone ratios
* Combat toxins
* Combat post-workout crash
* Combat adrenal fatigue
* Optimize blood sugar levels
* Enhance cardiovascular health
* Reduce muscle cramping and soreness
* Support muscle glycogen and recovery
* Prevent catabolism

What do you mean by you "didn't see much results"? Out of the list mentioned you would not know whether or not it was having an effect unless you had bloods and other physiological tests done, pre, during and post-Golden Gains. The only effects you might possibly have noticed (and only if applicable; you may not have had then before using Golden Gains and therefore would not matter if used it) are no post-workout crash, reduced muscle cramping and soreness, and better recovery.

Going by its ingredient profile Golden Gains definitely looks like a solid product.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
of the "effects" that could be noted exterior is what I was referring to, but I never really have an issue with them in the first place. My glucose levels are always pretty constant though so i'm not sure what it means by "optimizing" them (blood test verified).
I would imagine that it means keeping them fairly stable (i.e. no hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia).

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Tropical island smoothie? i guess it's pretty fruity then lol

Status
Not open for further replies.