Controlled Labs Golden Gains... Let the gains start coming!

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I want to say thank you to Controlled labs and RR for contacting me about trying out their new product Golden Gains (Apple Pie flavor). I will be using it post workout and on off days most likely around breakfast.

Golden Gains Nutrition Facts:

Each serving of golden gains is 2 scoops, the scoops are fairly large. 1 scoop is approximately the size of 2 normal protein scoops stacked.

The bottle is the same as Golden finish as well as the label visually.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Day 1: Golden Gains 2 scoops

Today is my first day using Golden Gains. I am still in the process of drinking it.

Mixibility: Throughout this log I will try a variety of different ways to mix Golden Gains. Today I used my nutraplanet shaker cup. Along with 2 scoops (approx. 6 oz of Golden Gains) I put around 25 oz of room temperature water. I shook it for a few seconds vigorously and a decent amount was still on the bottom untouched by the water, so I had to shake it a bit longer. Overall it mixes just like a protein powder with alittle bit of carbohydrate thickness.

Flavor Accuracy: Apple Pie, eh... That is not the flavor I would have named it at this point in time.

Texture: The drink its self is fairly smooth, however you do get the carbohydrate/ glycomaize texture, but not as powder tasting IMO. Although you can taste the individual grains.

What it really tastes like: I can't quite put my finger on it quite yet... It is definitely a fruity and super sweet taste, but IMO it does not really taste like Apple Pie.

Scoops size: The scoops are fairly decent size as compared to the proteins I am used to.

Any other items you would like me to review on the day to day basis let me know...

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
hey guys I will be updating after workout tonight.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Looks good. Think the Apple Pies from McDonalds you used to get as a kid :)

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I have decided what it reminds me of.... cinnamon apples.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Alright sorry about the past few days, My internet has been taking along time and I think the site is having problems as well. I have had a difficult time accessing threads.

Anyways the past two days have been going good. I have not checked my weight though.

But, The taste everytime I begin to drink it tastes super sweet, but it seems to get better as the drink goes on.

I looked up the CL price for this because I like it and was going to continue using it, but there is no way I can afford it price wise for the 15 servings it contains.

for todays experiment I tried putting less water and ice cubes in it to see the variance between thickness and taste. I definitely like it with more water. The less amount of water makes it too sweet and bitter for my liking. The ice is a good addition though.

My workout went smoothly although it was my first one in quite some time. I have been busy lately.

Nothing else has changed though opinion wise. I will add however that I like the fruit and veggie additions. I usually take a fruit & veggie pill called juice plus so I favor the whole fruits & veggies.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
There are coupon codes to use to buy off our website, I'm sure once it gets to NP the pricetag will be more affordable ;)

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
subbed as well, best of luck tex!!

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
SUBBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
what does golden gains do? is it like a weight gainer or a creatine?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it really is a solid profile

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Yup golden gains does have a very strong profile. I like it because when you drink it the carbs/ fruit veggie complex gives it some texture to make it feel alittle more like an apple pie/ whatever flavor you think it is.

As far as increased recovery, etc I don't know that it is helping me there too much. I do feel very light DOMS today though.

any other items in particular I should note about the product from day to day? I would like to continue use after this bottle if I can find it reasonably priced

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
now i think i want some of this golden gains. well see how you like it first. where'd you buy it?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Got it from Controlled Labs. The taste is interesting and it has decent nutritional profile, but I haven't seen any changes on it.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Got it from Controlled Labs. The taste is interesting and it has decent nutritional profile, but I haven't seen any changes on it.
Interesting. I think the gains would be cumulative though, hard to ascertain in such a short time.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
correct. This is something that takes awhile to have an effect just like a protein/ MRP shake. It is something that has its benefits behind the scenes

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys Todays dose has been taken. All the updates are still the same, however one thing I will add that i noticed from other users is the stomach issues. mine is just a discomforting feeling and only occasionally happens.

other than that everything is still the same. I will not be using Golden Gains this weekend though because I am out of town.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Tex, have you used dark matter? If so which do you think is better?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
no sir I have not used dark matter. I have heard it is pretty commonly used though.

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
Texas, I just started my Golden Gains earlier this week. I've had 4-5 servings thus far. Let me point out what I've noticed so far, in a simple Pro's and Con's manner:

Pros:
* FUllness post-workout is great !
* Volume and pump is maintained for a significant period of time compared to ALL post-workout products I've used ! Longer pumps than 80 grams of WMS used to do to me. Knocks the SOCKS OFF Universal's TORRENT.

Cons:
* artificially enfused flavoring; it feels like I'm choking down chemicals with a sweet hint of flavoring to them. It's as chemical as the Green MAGnitude was to me; and it screws with my stomach almost just as bad as the GM did. My stomach will NOT settle following consuming this. Normally, for about 2-3 hours, I've got an upset stomach following consumption of GG. At times, I can't even have my dinner, because I'm running to and from the bowl.
* Price/cost efficiency - at only 15 servings a jug, I'm hoping there will be coupon to knock a couple bucks off of it. I will only use on workout days; so about 5 days each week; resulting in one jug lasting me three weeks.

Texas: I compared the scooper size, and find that it's the same size as all my other protein containers. The regular sized scoop that normally yields 20-23 grams of protein per scoop of whey. You got a bigger one !?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Texas, I just started my Golden Gains earlier this week. I've had 4-5 servings thus far. Let me point out what I've noticed so far, in a simple Pro's and Con's manner:

Pros:
* FUllness post-workout is great !
* Volume and pump is maintained for a significant period of time compared to ALL post-workout products I've used ! Longer pumps than 80 grams of WMS used to do to me. Knocks the SOCKS OFF Universal's TORRENT.

Cons:
* artificially enfused flavoring; it feels like I'm choking down chemicals with a sweet hint of flavoring to them. It's as chemical as the Green MAGnitude was to me; and it screws with my stomach almost just as bad as the GM did. My stomach will NOT settle following consuming this. Normally, for about 2-3 hours, I've got an upset stomach following consumption of GG. At times, I can't even have my dinner, because I'm running to and from the bowl.
* Price/cost efficiency - at only 15 servings a jug, I'm hoping there will be coupon to knock a couple bucks off of it. I will only use on workout days; so about 5 days each week; resulting in one jug lasting me three weeks.

Texas: I compared the scooper size, and find that it's the same size as all my other protein containers. The regular sized scoop that normally yields 20-23 grams of protein per scoop of whey. You got a bigger one !?
yup I have to agree with you on the pro's. I think the reason I dont really respond to repartioners is because my body does it by itself. When i take in carbs I swell and i always feel that way after i take my Golden gains. as for the price i will agree with you. My stomach problems are not too bad and don't occur as often as the other seems to. I'm not sure if this is due to chemical flavoring as you say or what it is...

as for the scoops size mine is about 2 times height wise of a normal scoop. At least to me... I'm not sure of the exact amount of grams per scoop though.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Interesting about the flavoring. I'm almost through a full bottle and have not noticed any stomach issues, but I tend to have an iron stomach when it comes to that sort of thing. I do however love the flavor, I think it's a matter of getting the amount of water correct.

Viking, glad to hear your using the GGS! It does remind me of GM a little as well, taste wise. :)

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
wow it knocks the socks off of torrent?!?!?!?!?! that must mean it smashes on dark matter

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
alright so I am noticing a bit more stomach issues and have found myself running to the rest room after recently... I have no clue why either

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
well I haven't weighted myself recently so weight I am not too sure about... as for recovery etc I haven't really noticed any changes.

I have found my favorite way to take this is to mix it with water and shake it all up, then put it in the freezer for like 2-5 minutes and let it get nice and cold and then drink it.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
alright so took another serving today and had the stomach issues again... im not sure what the deal is but it is getting progressively worse the more I use this. I find it odd.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
a little late but subbing now
good to have you... any questions let me know! I'm not really sure what to keep noting, but GI issues will definitely be one to follow for sure.

I just started a new routine today so recovery, etc will be a bit hard to judge. It is the starting strength routine by riptoe....

RR or anyone who is following this let me know if there are any questions you have.

UKStrength

Interesting about the GI issues mate, I would definitely take Renegade Row's advice and play about with the amount of water.

I found I needed about a litre of water to not get any stomach issues with WMS, plus extra after I'd drunk my protein + WMS blend.

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
good to have you... any questions let me know! I'm not really sure what to keep noting, but GI issues will definitely be one to follow for sure.

I just started a new routine today so recovery, etc will be a bit hard to judge. It is the starting strength routine by riptoe....

RR or anyone who is following this let me know if there are any questions you have.

well give it a couple days and listen to your body lol or hope you Dont listen to it ;) if ya know what I mean lol

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
alright so took another serving today and had the stomach issues again... im not sure what the deal is but it is getting progressively worse the more I use this. I find it odd.
Stomach issues as in vomit inducing, or gas and things like that?

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
may need to pick some up just for the cleansing ;)

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
may need to pick some up just for the cleansing ;)
lmao... I think I jinxed myself in the beginning. I saw someone was having these issues and I made a comment how I wasn't and then it began!

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
hey guys downing another 2 scoops right now! Feeling good!

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Used my golden gains day before yesterday and for some reason I just did not want to drink it... I did, but i did not enjoy it like usually. No issues to report though

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
ok just mixed my scoops, through it in the freezer for 5 minutes, took it out and drank it. Its so much better after being in the freezer. man this stuff is lasting quite awhile with only 3 workouts a week, I think I may start using it as a meal replacement as well....

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
sorry for my absence guys I have been busy trying to find a job and summer school starts back up tomorrow. I will be getting my final review up tonight along with my favorite way of drinking Golden Gains!