Creatine supplementation is very beneficial to Herpes I/II suffers

Savantee

Savantee

Awards
Thought that you guys might like to look at Creatine which is can be beneficial to those who suffer from Herpes I/II.

I cannot link directly as I haven't enough postings

Does supplemental creatine prevent herpes recurrences?
Ness SR, McCarty MF.

Pantox Laboratories, San Diego, California 92109, USA.

While functioning as a general practitioner at the Camp Pendleton Marine Base, the first author treated numerous patients with recurrent genital herpes. Beginning in 1998, a number of these patients failed to return for periodic acyclovir therapy. Inquiries revealed that these patients had all commenced supplemental creatine after their last outbreak, and had experienced no further outbreaks. A literature search uncovered a report that cyclocreatine, a synthetic compound structurally and functionally homologous to creatine, inhibits the replication of cytomegalovirus, varicella-zoster, and herpes simplex types 1 and 2, in low millimolar concentrations; furthermore, dietary cyclocreatine reduces morbidity and mortality in mice infected with HSV-2. The fact that both creatine and cyclocreatine exert neuroprotective and cancer-retardant effects in rodents, encourages the speculation that creatine shares the anti-viral activity of cyclocreatine. Pilot studies to assess the impact of creatine loading on recurrence of oral and genital herpes appear warranted; the impact of creatine on shingles occurrence in high-risk patients could also be explored. Although initially conceived as an aid to athletic performance, creatine loading may prove to have broad preventive and therapeutic applications.

I have many friends whom have successfully sorted themselves out with a long cycle of creatine to saturate system and then large doses to firefight outbreaks...

Creatine is also a lot cheaper that Acyclovir and other OTC drugs...

I hope this helps someone out....

Mike

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting...wonder if this would work as a daily preventative lip treatment as well.

Savantee

Savantee

Awards
Interesting...wonder if this would work as a daily preventative lip treatment as well.
Hiya, never thought about that....

Possibly use creatine >> penetrate. Lips are tougher membranes though.

Personally I use creatine as a preventive - Get a tingle and then I do a heaped teaspoon immediately and follow up with another 6 hours later. After 24 hours of this I have never had an outbreak that made the surface. Nor had that miserable feeling you get with this virus.

I have previously tried everything to lessen these outbreaks - The last outbreak I had was two years ago just before I started using creatine....I then found pubmed article and I put two and two together.

Posted this up recently when I discussed it with regard to lysine use...which I found useless by the way and realised this could help others out..:cheers:

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
This is pretty interesting. I may have to recommend this to a couple of my friends that I'm aware of having cold sore issues....

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I have always felt there was a medicinal value to Creatine. particularly when combined with whey, and glutamine. Its benefits go beyond HSV inhibition. It should be cycled though. JMO

Savantee

Savantee

Awards
I have always felt there was a medicinal value to Creatine. particularly when combined with whey, and glutamine. Its benefits go beyond HSV inhibition. It should be cycled though. JMO
I agree with you about glutamine incredible immuno-boosting powers. If I feel a cold/flu coming on I use similar dosing to creatine teaspoon every 6 hours until better.

(If still ill after 24 hours get to the Dr's)

I ran a very long cycle of creatine (2months) to test my its effect on HSV and have found that it has had a profound effect on the frequency of outbreaks. From regular two months to almost annually. I no longer cycle creatine I just use attack doses if I feel needed.

I feel that the extra water is the key to creatine's health benefits as this allows the body to store all the nasties away from the vital organs...there may be further benefits?

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Yes there are a multitude of potential benefits, go to LEF.org and search it. I never use more than 2 to 3 grams dly and always use it with the whey and glutamine (its a combined product from LEF), I think its better all the way around to use it consistently, 6 to 8 wks on, 10 to 14 dys off, its great for weight-lifting, stamina, immune system, pump, brain function, etc. of course, it may not agree with everyone but thats how it goes with supplementation.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting. Lysine has been a blessing for me. I pretty much take creatine on a daily basis, but I still get the occasional cold sore on the lip. 5-6 grams of Lysine immediately after the tingle occurs, and then 2-3 grams twice daily for a few days... and no actual outbreak.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Carnosine would be a good addition here as well.

Savantee

Savantee

Awards
Interesting. Lysine has been a blessing for me. I pretty much take creatine on a daily basis, but I still get the occasional cold sore on the lip. 5-6 grams of Lysine immediately after the tingle occurs, and then 2-3 grams twice daily for a few days... and no actual outbreak.
:type:Glad you had success with it - I had little or no joy but found that creatine did the trick.

Perhaps its type of Creatine I used mono..or even perhaps type of virus..could also be body type genetics.

Just noticed In the above study the Dr's were treating recurrent genital herpes, perhaps I'm a anomaly but thought it might be worth posting to see if anyone else responds well.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
:type:Glad you had success with it - I had little or no joy...
Really? What kind of dosing did you try? Also, do you usually take an arginine-based product (N.O., ect.)? Because that can offset any benefit from the lysine.
Herpes and Cold Sores Resource -

Glad the creatine's working for you though. Oral herpes is a bitch.

Savantee

Savantee

Awards
Really? What kind of dosing did you try? Also, do you usually take an arginine-based product (N.O., ect.)? Because that can offset any benefit from the lysine.

Glad the creatine's working for you though. Oral herpes is a bitch.
I used to take three SOLGAR L-Lysine 1000mg at tingle and every 6-8 hours repeat. Outbreaks were still regular - I found walnuts were key to outbreaks. I love walnuts very good for your yang!! I believe they're high in arginine.

I have found that with creatine I can take high doses of arginine with no occurrences.

My outbreaks of HSV are on my FINGER Which I thought was very unusual. I've put my finger about a bit.:laugh:

WTF do you have to wear condoms on your hands:scared:

I will attempt to find out whether this is likely to be type i/ii...Me thinks it's probably the latter.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
My outbreaks of HSV are on my FINGER Which I thought was very unusual. I've put my finger about a bit.:laugh:

WTF do you have to wear condoms on your hands:scared:

I will attempt to find out whether this is likely to be type i/ii...Me thinks it's probably the latter.
Herpes whitlow is caused by type I a little over 50% of the time but it doesn't really matter as treatment is the same.