Combat Powder (CHOC PB)

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
I would like to thank MP for hooking me up with a tub of their Chocolate Peanut Butter Combat protein powder. Also thank you is deserved for the MP lifting straps, Status magazine, and Status Calendar. To run a "log" of a protein powder is kinda silly in my mind, but I will note things I notice improving while using this extended release protein over my typical whey blend. Lets get to what everyone wants to know first...

Taste: The taste slightly reminds me of Chocolate "Real Gains" by universal since its a bit malty tasting to me. I don't have any other Choc PB to compare to, but the PB is very faint at best. Best PB flavor protein I've had was AI's. On a whole the taste is great, but being a PB-a-holic, I feel it lacks in a true PB flavor. It does taste great though.

I would like to note that it does keep my hunger at bay for a longer than a standard whey. I will be using it in the AM and also prior to bed.

If MP would like to see specifics as this review goes on, please let me know.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Just comment on things like taste, any stomach issues, satisfaction, ease of mixing, etc. Try to come up with one unorthodox way to use it each week, stuff like the protein brownie, sludge, mixing with cottage cheese, etc so we can all get a general idea of how it will work in those situations.
Also I don't know if you already did this but take the scoop out and shake it up a bit, that may bring out some more PB flavor that may have just settled during shipping.

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
Just comment on things like taste, any stomach issues, satisfaction, ease of mixing, etc. Try to come up with one unorthodox way to use it each week, stuff like the protein brownie, sludge, mixing with cottage cheese, etc so we can all get a general idea of how it will work in those situations.
Also I don't know if you already did this but take the scoop out and shake it up a bit, that may bring out some more PB flavor that may have just settled during shipping.
Good point about shaking. i will try that tonight. Either way, it is still a pretty tasty shake.

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
So I took your advice and shook the container up really good, however, the flavor didn't really change. Again, the taste is great, but I really do not taste peanut butter in it.

Mixability: Performs great in this department. In the mornings I like to just throw the powder in a glass, add milk, and mix with a fork. No problems here. No real clumping. Pretty impressive in mixability.

Combat + 2tbsp of PB: I am a PB lover, so this was the sweet spot for me. Put about 10-12oz of milk, scoop of combat, and two tablespoons of Skippy Natural PB. Loved it! Not only did it add a great PB flavor, but also good fat and calories.

Value: Since you can't buy MP products anywhere, but there website as far as I know, the value to me is debatable depending on what special they are running. The normal 30% off would put this around $51 which to me is too much to spend since I could get a product like Pro Complex cheaper. At 50% which MP often runs, I would buy in a heartbeat. Maybe a happy medium in pricing could be reached of around $40 a tub.

So far, I really like the product. Gonna mess with some other concoction ideas today to see what I can make that is even tastier.

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
Not too much to update on, but I had my wife try it and had her guess the flavor. She said "Chocolate Chip". I think the PB aspect needs to be reworked in this one guys. Solid product, but flavoring is a bit off in my mind. So far i'm liking the product a lot though.

Brownie: This turned out pretty good.
1 scoop Combat
1 heaping tablespoon PB
Enough water to make it a thick shake like consistancy
Microwave long enough to turn into brownie. (45-60 seconds)
Let cool for a few minutes.

Simple snack that fills you up more so than just drinking the shake.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I have never tried one of the microwave brownies that seem like they are getting pretty popular now. Hopefully we can tweak our flavor to get a stronger peanut butter taste to it.

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
I have never tried one of the microwave brownies that seem like they are getting pretty popular now. Hopefully we can tweak our flavor to get a stronger peanut butter taste to it.
Its still good, so don't get me wrong..... Just not peanut butter tasting at all.

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
Not too much to add on this log really as its protein... Really enjoying the product and taste even though it lacks a PB taste. Still really good chocolate shake. My standard morning and evening shake has been a scoop of combat and a heaping tablespoon of natty pb. I'm interested now to try the berry flavor. I wish nutraplanet would carry MP though..

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
We are having a 50% sale right now if you want to try the berry, let me know.

Also try adding a couple packets of Splenda to your shake and see if the PB flavor comes out more. I am using the Combat now and I can taste the PB pretty good, but I am use to eating stuff that doesn't have very much sweetness so my pallet (sp) is more sensitive to sweet flavors.