Linear Progression to Success

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Welcome everyone! this is going to be my way to track my journey until I begin contest preparation. In This log I will be noting about my supplements, routines, and anything else I decide to note.

Phase 1: Emphasis on Strength (post 2)
Phase 2: Emphasis on Mass (post 127)

Last edited:
TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Phase 1: Strength

Workout I will be using
  • Madcow's version of Bill Starr 5x5
A bit of info about 5x5
  • Linear Progression
  • Goal is to increase ~2.5% each week
  • Designed for strength & mass increases
  • 3 days a week format
  • Utilizes Compound lifts as well as varying assistance lifts
  • For more information visit here

My Diet
  • minimum of 3000 Calories per day
    • Protein- 300G per day
    • Carbohydrates- 500-600G per day
    • Fat: ~75G per day
Mass/Strength Enhancing Supplementation
(supplementation is what I am considering using, not necessarily what I will be using. I will state what I am using when the time arises.)
  • USP Labs Prime
  • USP Labs Anabolic Pump
  • Pure Supplements Pslin
  • Lg sciences BCAA+EAA
  • Applied Nutriceuticals IGF-2
  • Applied Nutriceuticals Drive
  • Applied Nutriceuticals Neovar
  • Applied Nutriceuticals "The One"
  • Primordial Performance Dermacrine
  • Primordial Performance Sustain Alpha
Stapled Supplementation
  • Applied Nutriceuticals Omega Essentials
  • Applied Nutriceuticals Bio-Mend
  • All They Whey Protein Blend
My Current Rep Max's:
  • Barbell Bench Press: 255x1
  • Barbell Squat: 335x2 new max 410x1
  • Barbell Incline: 205x5
  • Dead Lift: 345x1 new max 405x1
  • Row: 155x5
My Goal 1 Rep Max's:
  • Barbell Flat Bench: 275+Lbs
  • Barbell Squat: 375+ Lbs ACCOMPLISHED New goal 435 Lbs
  • Barbell Incline: 245+ Lbs
  • Dead Lift: 375+ Lbs ACCOMPLISHED New goal 415 Lbs
  • Row: 185+ Lbs Accomplished new goal 205x1

Last edited:
TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Day 1

I will post Day 1 here once I begin

Last edited:
p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
okay, how many logs you got going? How do you keep track of what's going on?

I am interested in this protocol so I'll follow along.

Good luck in getting the #s up.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
okay, how many logs you got going? How do you keep track of what's going on?

I am interested in this protocol so I'll follow along.

Good luck in getting the #s up.
I only have 1 other going on. It ends tomorrow though pretty much. I used this exact protocol when I first dedicated myself and saw some nice results so it is back to round 2 mad cow style!

AK32408

AK32408

IBE/PHF Rep
Awards
  • Established
Subbed ! :thumbsup:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you use your guys' new steroidal compound, I would save the rest for P.C.T.,!

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys this new routine begins tomorrow 6am. I am not sure how often I will be updating since school starts tomorrow.

Supplements I will be using are:
-Drive
-Igf 2
-Xtend
-Trione
-Bio mend
- Omega essentials

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I havent been hitting the weights the past week or so because I have been sick. I have some sort of virus that ended me up in the hospital hooked up to IV's the other day. I was so dehydrated kidneys were starting to malfunction and shut down. I have been of all supplements the past week as well as eating a liquid diet. I have probably dropped some significant weight considering at one point I didnt eat for 3 days.

I will let everyone know when I am good to go back to start lifting

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
okay so I have been on an all liquid diet and am on some meds, but I have felt decent the past two days enough to start introducing real food. My diet is slowly taking shape again. I will be using Sustain alpha and drive and workout posting will begin tomorrow.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Day 1: 172 Lbs

After quite an interesting ordeal I have been easing back into a whole food diet and seem to be holding everything down. I am beginning to transition into a bulking diet again.

Today is day 1 of the 5x5 training and I noticed I will be having to make some alterations to my typical weights I use. My school gym is pretty small and doesn't even have a free weight squat rack, this being said they do however have a crappy smith machine for squats. So as you can tell I will now be doing smith squats.. it sucks, but I will at least still be getting some work in.

I appear to have lost zero strength while being sick because sitting back in tonight my weights were easy, I didn't need a spotter on anything which is awesome! I am looking forward to my progress using this routine so we shall see where it takes me.

Supplements I am currently using are: Sustain Alpha (5 days on, 2 days off @ 5 pumps per day), Omega Essentials (AN's Fishoil), and Biomend (AN's Antioxidant). I am trying to keep my supplement train fairly light because I feel I have been relying way too much on supplementation lately to make progress.

Day 1 5x5 Routine:
  • Squat: 5 reps @ 145, 180, 215, 250, 285
  • BB Flat Bench: 5 reps @ 105, 135, 160, 185, 215
  • BB Bent-Over Row: 5 reps @ 75, 90, 110, 130, 145
  • Assistance lifts:
    • 2 sets weighted hypers
    • 4 sets Weighted situps
    • 4 sets V-grip Lat Pulldown
    • 4 sets Wide grip Pull down
Notes
  • Good workout, Strength was steady. Weights were easy
  • I had quite a bit of sweating going on as well

Day 1 Video posing
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Day 1 5x5 Routine:
  • Squat: 5 reps @ 145, 180, 215, 250, 285
  • BB Flat Bench: 5 reps @ 105, 135, 160, 185, 215
  • BB Bent-Over Row: 5 reps @ 75, 90, 110, 130, 145
  • Assistance lifts:

• I thought a 5x5 routine you did the same wt for all sets. Once you are able to get 5 sets of 5 reps you increase the wt so that you cannot complete 5 sets of 5. Then once you are able to get the new wt up for 5x5 then again increase.

For example, you did 285x5 on your last set. You should be doing 285x5 for ALL sets. If you are unable then you train at that level until you can achieve 5 sets of 5. Then next leg day you go for 295x5 and train at that wt until you achieve 5 sets of 5.

Is this a variation?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I thought a 5x5 routine you did the same wt for all sets. Once you are able to get 5 sets of 5 reps you increase the wt so that you cannot complete 5 sets of 5. Then once you are able to get the new wt up for 5x5 then again increase.

For example, you did 285x5 on your last set. You should be doing 285x5 for ALL sets. If you are unable then you train at that level until you can achieve 5 sets of 5. Then next leg day you go for 295x5 and train at that wt until you achieve 5 sets of 5.

Is this a variation?
This is the Madcow variation that I am using. This is what his intermediate template says to do. I am not sure how the original 5x5 program works though?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Alright so I know Madcow preaches about not messing with this formula and routine, but I feel the need to add in some side days. This program does not do much in terms of Bicep & tricep growth. Although they are used as secondary muscle, I would like to focus a bit more on them than I have lately. Today I did Bicep & tricep supersets.

• Straight Barbell Preacher Curl Superset with Skull Crushers
  • Cable Preacher Curl supersetted with Cable Tricep Pushdowns
Notes for today
  • Mid & lower pecs are pretty sore today
  • Legs were somewhat sore this morning, but have eased off through out the say
  • I had a nice pump today, I got a few compliments that I was looking bigger. Vascualrity was pretty awesome tonight really starting to show in my forearms while working out.
  • I also would like to note that I am not usually one to have acne or pimples, however, I have begun to break out on my shoulder and back areas. I am assuming that this is the Sustain Alpha kicking in?
  • I also bought three 1 dollar lottery tickets and won 4 dollars back. 1 dollar up! always a plus!

testiesac

testiesac

Awards
  • Established
i just started this routine as well. im subbed. i also add in side days but try to stay away from a muscle group that ill use on the heavy lift day. so maybe arms saturday or something. and congrads on the dollar, youre a winner!

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
i just started this routine as well. im subbed. i also add in side days but try to stay away from a muscle group that ill use on the heavy lift day. so maybe arms saturday or something. and congrads on the dollar, youre a winner!
Thanks for joining me!

Yes sir! Ya I agree with you on the extra days. I try to avoid adding in anything that I hit with the compounds, but more than likely I plan to continue a Bicep/Tricep day as well as a Day dedicated to calves. I also hit my back with a little more exercises as well as chest to continue my growth. Please feel free to critique or offer any advice you may have!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
your 19 at this level. you've got it made if you stick with it. a big head start over others(I know I didn't start in till 21)

testiesac

testiesac

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for joining me!

Yes sir! Ya I agree with you on the extra days. I try to avoid adding in anything that I hit with the compounds, but more than likely I plan to continue a Bicep/Tricep day as well as a Day dedicated to calves. I also hit my back with a little more exercises as well as chest to continue my growth. Please feel free to critique or offer any advice you may have!

yeah bud no prob. and go ahead and check out mine as well. its my first log so it should be interesting... yeah ive been hitting an extra few lifts at the end of my routine to add in a few needed lifts. i also have been running every other day to keep metabolism up and get me to eat more. i just run a few quick miles. it seems to help. i was also thinking about adding "the one" when it comes out to help me out a bit. but i also have a bunch of things sitting on the shelf ready to use... a lil unsure i guess.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Alright time for day 3's write-up! Todays workout was awesome I cannot explain how pumped I was to hit the gym. Motivation was all there and everything felt like a breeze. Deadlifts were so easy that I through in an extra set and bumped up the weight on one of the sets. Xtend intra workout- this seriously has me feeling great 2-4 scoops in a little water bottle. I love it!

• squats 5 reps@ 145, 180, 215, 215
  • incline bench 5 reps @ 120, 145, 170, 190
  • Deadlift 5 reps @ 180, 215, 250, 315, 335
  • Assistance lifts: 3 sets of sit-ups

notes
  • Aggression and intensity was amazing tonight
  • Didn't struggle all night, even with the 335 DL's. I do have a blood blister though on my right wrist from my strap digging in.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Sides from my current supplement stack

Man I am pleased so far with this stack in terms of libido & overall mood. Obviously not much mass is going to come in week 1 ( up about .5 Lbs), but the libido boost is awesome! I have never been able to really notice my libido changes due to my age, but for some reason I can tell a huge difference while using these two supplements (sustain Alpha & Igf-2). Current notes are: increase pimples primarily on shoulder & back, increased hair growth, just an overall well being feeling. My girlfriend of a LONG time has noticed too and has given me compliments on the mood changes lately. I would really recommend checking this bunch out for a nice libido booster.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Alright today is going to be a bit challenging. It is supposed to be my heavy day to see if I am able to increase my lifts 2.5% for next weeks lifts, however I came back to my parents to ship out some packages and forgot my belt at home. I am trying to find one I can borrow because lifting this weight without a belt throws my back out.

Also, for anyone who uses melatonin. I have been dosing 3mg a night the past two nights, but I keep waking up in the morning with headaches. Anyone else experience this?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[*] Deadlift 5 reps @ 180, 215, 250, 315, 335

[*] Aggression and intensity was amazing tonight
[*] Didn't struggle all night, even with the 335 DL's. I do have a blood blister though on my right wrist from my strap digging in.[/list]
335 5 x's at 170 that is amazing! Expect a big back. Its my favorite lift

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
335 5 x's at 170 that is amazing! Expect a big back. Its my favorite lift
yeah it is my new favorite lift as well along with squats. I love them! Maybe I will throw up a video in the next few weeks

sigmachiagg11

Awards
subd. good luck man. thanks for the advice earlier btw. ill be sure to check em out

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys Sorry update was off. I have been busy with some stuff.

Squat 5 reps @ 155, 195, 235, 270
3 reps @ 315
8 reps @ 230

Bench 5 reps @ 105, 130, 150, 185
3 reps @ 215
8 reps @ 160

Row 5 reps @ 75, 90, 110, 130
3 reps @ 150
8 reps @ 110

Assistance
3 Sets of Weighted Dips x 5-8 reps
3 Sets of Barbell Curls x 8 reps
3 Sets of Triceps Extensions x 8 reps

Notes
  • Tough, sweaty, and hard work

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
whats up everyone! I am feeling great right now and have a huge gym pump. Seriously vascularity is nuts right now and I am seriously pumped. I have started the bulking diet.

5000-7000 calories.
600G carbohydrates
350G protein
75-100G fats

Also, I have been using sustain alpha 5 pumps a day along with IGF-2 @ 8 caps a day. I am up 2 pounds since I started this already so I am feeling great! Strength is also great seriously. I am loving this workout routine and am tearing it up in the school gym.

squat 5 reps @ 160, 200, 240, 280, 320
Flat barbell bench press5 reps @ 110, 135, 165, 190, 215
Barbell Bent over row 5 reps @ 95, 95, 115, 135, 150

Assitance lifts:
4 sets of wide grip lat pulldowns
4 sets of V-grip lat pulldowns
5 sets of cable flyes

notes
Sick Sick SICK workout. Strength is nuts on these two and I was feeling huge. I seriously feel like I am king of the world in the gym. The blood flow and pump hits me after the first few sets. Squats starting out gets me in the zone every workout and is now my favorite or second favorite lift. Seriously I cannot say enough about these products along with my diet and workout routine. 2 lbs in a week and NOTICEABLE strength gains!! wow.... I just popped 2 pslin and am about to eat 6 eggs and 2 instant oatmeal packets.

On a side note, I am not injured... but I keep getting a weird feeling in my glute/ hamstring area.... i guess its just the fact I am finally going ass to grass/ parallel

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
so today I just did a bicep & tricep superset routine to encourage some muscle growth in the arms. I havent really hit direct isolation exercises consistently for awhile on arms and would like to see some growth some more. 16.5 inches at 5'7 180 would be nice for sure.

• Flat BB curl 4 sets
  • Straight bar Cable curls supersetted with tricep pulldown 4 sets
  • Hammer curls supersetted with french press 4 sets
Notes
some nice veinage tonight! Arms were looking beastly tonight. weight was not all that impressive, but I don't much care about isolation strength. I had some serious pump and thickness going on in my forearm, bicep, tricep, and deltoids. I am sure this is due to the little rest and quick hits of a superset. My stretchmarks are starting to extend onto my pec and become visible now from the front rather than just my arm pit area. I need to find a good way to control this. RPN flawless helped with diminishing color, but these are big purple/pink fresh looking ones on my left side.

Also my knee is messed up today. I think its from the consistent pounding of squats and deadlifts with some decent weight. I put pressure on it and its a pain that makes my leg collapse so I was taking it easy limping around today. Any suggestions for this besides icing? its right under my knee cap and on the left under side.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
are all those carbs clean or is it that many from coming off a cutting diet?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
are all those carbs clean or is it that many from coming off a cutting diet?
thats my typical bulking diet. some clean and some are not. I for the most part try to keep it relatively clean but its not 100%

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
so today I was not in the mood. Nothign was up today libido, mood, energy, etc. All pretty low and nothing impressive. No motivation today. I got to they gym and forced myself to work through it pretty much. I pulled some nice numbers though even though its light day.

squats 5 reps @ 160, 200, 240, 240 (240 is to the point where it feels like 135. its a joke almost)
incline bench 5 reps @ 125, 150, 175, 195
Deadlift 5 reps @ 215, 255, 300, 340 (340 was easy tonight 5 straight reps no problem)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive never seen a program like this before. could all the compounds in one day be wearing you down..

most powerlifters do a squat day and assistance

when they start getting heavy on deads they do them every two weeks

and bench as well. i haven't done bench in three years and if I do its high reps. so many injuries have happened from maxing out on bench and low reps on bench.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
well I am no where near maxing out on any of them or so it feels. Its a progression training 5x5 style. it is working wonders for me in terms of strength and decent in mass. my strength is almost already to the point of hitting my maxes for reps. my max when I started was 345x1 or 2 reps 2 weeks ago. tonight I pulled 5 pounds less at the end of a workout for multiple reps. I am loving it. I have never been one to train for strength but I can't help but do it with this. Its addicting. honestly I feel like I will be killing my goals by week 9 considering I am already seeing huge improvements on mid of week 2.

I think the down feeling today was stress related. I have had 2 quizzes daily, have 2 exams coming up next week and a never ending supply of reading and studying. I also had intramural basketball today for 30 minutes (15 minute halfs) and swam 100 meters plus 10 minutes of treading water.

today was intense and I think it just wore my dry. I am currently working on a speech i have to present tomorrow

Last edited:
TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
alright sitting in biology right now... I am hitting the gym today for my friday session. This is always my heaviest session of the week. Next week I will be dead lifting my max from 3.5 weeks ago for 5 reps... how cool is that? haha! I think I will be training powerlifting style from now on during bulks because this has been a great experience watching my strength grow so quickly.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
alright sitting in biology right now... I am hitting the gym today for my friday session. This is always my heaviest session of the week. Next week I will be dead lifting my max from 3.5 weeks ago for 5 reps... how cool is that? haha! I think I will be training powerlifting style from now on during bulks because this has been a great experience watching my strength grow so quickly.
In addition the hard thick dense muscle no amount of light weight training can ever produce the look you get with this training. Ive held on to my mass after not lifting for nine months...and if I never trained heavy i would have not held on to this mass.

Dg you look like youve moved soem heavy weights looking at your back.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
ahh awesome workout today. I hit 405x1 today on squats, I have a video of a 435 attempt, but I failed on it. Legs were way too damn tired... but it shows I am going parallel! so strength is definitely up!

squat 5 reps @ 160, 205, 245, 280
3 reps @ 335
8 reps @ 245
1 rep @ 385 HIT
1 rep @ 405 HIT
1 rep @ 435 MISS
Flat BB bench 5 reps @ 110, 135, 175, 190
3 reps @ 225 (pretty tough for some reason)
8 reps @ 165
BB Bent Row 5 reps @ 75, 95, 115, 130
3 reps @ 155
8 reps @ 135

Assistance lifts:
  • 4 sets Wide grip lat pull downs
  • 4 sets V-grip lat pull downs

Notes
    Let me start out by saying my leg strength has blown up at the end of week 2. I am pretty confident I can deadlift my goal already as well as squats! Today I figured I would attempt 1 rep squat max at the end of workout: 385 (this was my goal, hit with Ease!, 405 hit!, 435 miss)

I think 415 is around where I am sitting because 435 was a bit too hard to get out of parallel position. I have a video of it if anyone is interested. Overall the workout was great. I completed it pretty easy and was in the mood for some deadlifts (my favorite lift), but I made myself stick to the plan. its amazing how light might and upper 200's feel to me now! Also, I don't think my row max is accurate because these weights seem way to easy so I may recalculate it this next week. Overall I had a great workout, I hit a PR and then broke it 2 more times so I was stoked. I was busy all day so i missed my application of sustain alpha, but I did get in my igf-2.

this weekend is off for recovery to monday. I also have two exams this next week on tuesday and friday so time management is key this week. I am also getting in upper body work weekly with sailing and cardio. I have also started hitting some laps in the pool every 2 weeks just to keep my lungs good.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
here is my video of 435x1 on squats. I didn't really "fail" as in not get the rep up, but I just didn't feel like it was me 100%. I will let you all be the judge.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0dZh1ifunY"]YouTube - VID00002[/ame]

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for this log Tex, Sorry for the delay bro, catching up right now:)

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
my room mate also has an iron man gym and perfect push up things so i also usually do 2x10 with three alternating grips of pull ups (wide grip, close grip, and side grip) on off days, and 2x20 sets of push-ups

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
dude its time to man up and get out of the smith machine
if u want to grow like u plan dont ever squat in that
u get way!!! more muscle simulation from free squats
trust me i know. I have always used free weights. when your gym only has a smith machine you have to make due. i would much rather they free weight raw BB squats that I have always done, unfortunately I don't have access to one at campus.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Smith squats are fine for for quads I like doing them and Ive got 29 ers.

If that's all you've got for squats Ive vary the stances with each exercise liek close to hit outer quads, wide inner, etc (the main exercise I got my legs big on were barbell squats for about 4 years of doing them) and I now do hacks, fronts leg presses...and sometimes add in barbell, barbell are not year round like they used to be though, much less and I havent come across a problem with leg-size.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I am planning to begin a foot variation after i finish this program. so in about 6 or 7 weeks

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice work texas! When you lost control there for a second I almost crapped my pants tho! whew!

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Nice work texas! When you lost control there for a second I almost crapped my pants tho! whew!
thanks man! Yeah me too I never had something that heavy before on my shoulders haha. I picked it up and was like crap... this is going to be hard.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bro, you gotta try some BB hack squats man. I know you dont have a squat rack so this could be a good alternative and something to switch up to every now and then. Just use one of the bench bb's. Anyone gives ya sh1t just give em a :twak:

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Bro, you gotta try some BB hack squats man. I know you dont have a squat rack so this could be a good alternative and something to switch up to every now and then. Just use one of the bench bb's. Anyone gives ya sh1t just give em a :twak:
I have never done a free weight hack squat. those look like something I will definitely be trying! Do you use them? I take it you like them eigh?

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ive always used the Plate loaded hack squat because I have vagina cancer sometimes. But Ive been venturing more into free weight lately. Just started the bb hack squats. They will leave your legs feeling like puddy! And you are forced to focus on form more than anything.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Ive always used the Plate loaded hack squat because I have vagina cancer sometimes. But Ive been venturing more into free weight lately. Just started the bb hack squats. They will leave your legs feeling like puddy! And you are forced to focus on form more than anything.
awesome man! Yeah the primary goal for me in the format is bulking on the mass so anything that makes me feel toast is great! I'm pretty confident I will be hitting 180 by the next 7 weeks of this program so from there my goal will be 190 and then 200 and then of course begin a true cut maybe around 16-12 weeks out from my october show.