Ed's PH & ACV 2 month trial

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Answers

Ed's PH & ACV 2 month trial

Hello Everyone-

I'm sure the title is a little misleading, but the PH stands for "potential hydrogen" and the acv is Apple Cider Vinegar. Let me explain!

In an effort to lower my uric acid, which has led to some battles with gout and uric acid kidney stones, I've decided I'm going to take "ACV" daily along with some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to keep my body in a neutral PH balance. Sodium bicarbonate can actually be used to dissolve uric acid stones and it has an alkaline effect on the body. In my weeks of internet research, I've come across numerous posts from people who have stopped their battles with gout with baking soda and/or ACV. There are plenty more who have also stated they've lost weight in this process. If you do some research on Apple Cider Vinegar, there all kinds of claims out there, so I've decided to do both and see what happens.

Before starting this, I spent a week taking note of my urine ph level using ph strips. A reading of 7.0 is neutral. Below that is acidic, above, alkaline. Typically, most people are in the 6.2-7.0 range. Well, I'm typically in the 5.5-5.8 range. This isn't just first thing in the morning, but also during the day too, so you can see I'm very acidic.

I've been battling gout for 20 years now. I sorta control it with allopurinol, but barely. My left big toe really doesn't move anymore on it's own and when I bend it with my fingers, it sounds like sand is in the joint (my wife yells at me if I do it around her). I've also had issues with weight. I can diet, workout and take supplements yet I can't get my bf below 16%. I think this may have something to do with my body being too acidic.

Concerns: Taking ACV is acidic, but the Baking Soda can balance it out or bring it to neutral. BUT, there is sodium in it, so blood pressure will be monitored. I also will note changes, if any, in sleep, libido, mood, hunger, weight loss and workouts.

In summary, I'm going to see if I can cure my gout and lose some weight while taking baking soda and ACV for two months. There will be no other changes in diet, workouts or supplements taken (EFA, Protein and a Mult-Vitamin).

There a lot of claims on the internet as to the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar, I'll give it 60 days and report here a few times each week!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Answers

Starting Stats

Weight: 239lbs

Bf: 17% (approx)

Blood Pressure: 128/74 (ave reading)

Meals: 5 spread out over the day. Calories: 3200 on average

Workouts per week: 2 total body weightlifting workouts, 1 night of yoga and 1-2 days of bike riding

Water: 160-200 oz per day
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Answers

3 days

Hello everyone-

day 3 and all is well. Weight is 238, -1 lbs. Could be water, too early to tell. Twice a day, I'm taking a tablespoon of acv, 1/8th a tblsp of baking soda with 12 oz. of soda water. It certainly doesn't smell that good and the taste is nothing to write home about, but it's tolerable.

Things I've noticed are less bloating and more belching. My sleep has been great the past two nights too. Coincidense?

My workouts have been fine and my big toe with the uric acid crystals seem to have a little more range of motion. Another update in a few days.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Answers

5 day update

5 days in and this is what I've noticed:

-Sleep has been great!
    -I'm very regular, if you know what I mean!
    -Blood pressure has been good. Last reading was 127/71.
    -down 1lbs from start, though my appetite has been strong.
    -I noticed my arms were more vascular during yesterdays workout.
    -Mood has been great lately.

I can't say drinking apple Cider Vinegar is something I look forward too, but with enough ice, a large glass of soda water, it's tolerable.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Answers

Hello Everyone-

Almost two weeks into this. I'm getting used to the taste, which really isn't that bad diluted, but the smell is worse.

No real weight loss yet. I'm up/down 1-2lbs per day, depending on how much water I'm holding, which is pretty typical for me. It seems like I'm eating more though. My hunger has seemed to increase.

My joints though, have been doing well. My "frozen" big toe has regained approx. 50% of it range and the rest of my joints feel good too. Sleep also has been very good and my mood has been great too. Blood Pressure has not gone up, so no issues there.

I'll continue to post 1-2 a week up to November 1st.
  6. Gold Member
    Answers

Thumbs up

Very interesting. I don't suffer from any of the challenges you do, but I find it interesting that you are seeing some improvement with these everyday household items. Congrats.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Answers

Closing in on 3 weeks and things continue to go well. I'm not nearly as bloated and my joints have been feeling great. I really have nothing negative to state. I'm down about 1.5lbs. From what I've read regarding weightloss and apple cider vinegar, this seems to be normal, slow & steady, about a 1/2 a pound per week.

Nutritionally speaking, ACV contains the following:
    Minerals and trace elements
    Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Chlorine, Sodium, Sulfur, Copper, Iron, Silicon, Fluorine.

Vitamins
    Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Provitamin beta-carotene, Vitamin P (bioflavonoids).

I'm mainly interested in it for the joints (gout), Kidney stones and the positive effect on Cholesterol and weightloss. I hope to have a blood test at the end of October to see where my numbers are. Thanks for the post lawman!

Ed
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 09:26 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 07:17 PM
  3. HMB trial
    By Shorinryu in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 06:25 AM