Animal's Pump vs. Shock Therapy, Time to finally pick a winner

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
So we've all heard about both animal pump and shock therapy, but now it's time to compare the two side by side, and pick the one that is more effective for me.

This little log will take place during my first and second week back at school, and will essentially be the workouts from the Journey book, except slightly modified to lower the volume and increase the cardio.

I'll post my workout each time and also, note how it went, and how I felt.

The goal here is to pick one of the two pre-workout supps as essentially a staple for my pre-workout plans. On a limited budget, it's essentialy to only buy the best, so I'm very thankful to Universal for sending out the free samples. It should be fun!

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Journey Book, eh? Nice.
Subbed.

K

King Con

Awards
  • Established
What up O?

I am definitely subbed for this. Got my $$ on the pump.

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
So yesterday I began this little comparo thing.

I picked the shock therapy sample to begin with, taking it about 20 minutes before getting to the gym.

My workout:

Wide grip pullups: 5x 10/failure
Seated Rows: 5x 12
Close Grip pullups 4x 10
Barbell curls 4x10
Concentration Curls 3x10

30 minutes on the Recumbent bike after that.

I had very nice pumps in my back, but none in my biceps. I had decent energy throughout my cardio though.

Today I'm going to try out some pump and see how that goes with Chest/ Tri's.

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
Essentially I didn't follow the journey book due to the very packed gym, so it seems I'm going to be doing whatever I Can do without having to wait in line at the gym. I hate that crap

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Essentially I didn't follow the journey book due to the very packed gym, so it seems I'm going to be doing whatever I Can do without having to wait in line at the gym. I hate that crap
Me, I just hate crap.

K

King Con

Awards
  • Established
I can't stand that either. That's why I prefer my 5:30 AM workouts.

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established

Whats up buddy? Subbed to see how you do man.

Hg

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
Alrighty then, I've had three workouts since the last time I posted and todays the day to give updates. I made little notes on a notepad, so forgive me if they're not 100% clear.

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
Chest/ tris day

Incline Bench 5 sets
Flat dumbbell bench 4 sets
Flat DB flyes 5 sets
Assisted dips 4 sets
Cable tri pushdown 5 sets

This was an animal pump workout, and I had pretty good pumps, especially in my tris which isn't a normal thing. I usually struggle when training tris so this was very good. I just dislike taking all those pills in addition to my pak, it's kind of a mental struggle

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
I did an abs/ forearms/ cardio day next, after using some UN Shock therapy.

Very good abs pumps, torturous wrist curls with no pump whatsoever... so that was a struggle

Then I hit the pool for 30 minutes. I felt some really strong pumps in my shoulders, but not the typical lactic acid buildup that I normally get. Some people say that pumps would be crippling while swimming, but I think that's just because they don't know what it is. To me, it's actually a good thing, and it helps my mind connect with my muscles, allowing me to be more efficient and more in control.

Although it does make you feel heavier in the water, the lowering of the lactic acid levels that ST helped me get seemed to outweigh this. I wouldn't go with 2 scoops of ST for a swim, but one I think is productive.

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
I just moved into school this past week, so it's great to have a pool, but man am I busy. I have less time for workouts, so it's good to have some supps to help me kick it into high gear to get the workout in in a 45 minute period

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
Animal Pump day

Yesterday- Legs day- I really struggle usually with leg days, but as long as I keep the volume low while working on strong contractions I can get a pretty good workout

Quad leg extensions 5 sets
Leg press- 5 sets
Calf extensions on the leg press- 5 setsx high reps
Leg curl- 5 sets

Alrighty then... I essentially felt like quitting and going home at the start of my hammy curls, but I sucked it up, cranked my ipod and hit them hard. I don't think the pump did me too many favors today unfortunately. I definitely want to work on my legs though, so I Think next time I'm going to try two packets of ST for legs, as it suggests on the back of the package...

We'll see so.. stay tuned....

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
Today I had to kind of waddle to class because my upper quads were very sore. I have gotten so much better at making the connection to the muscle when doing leg extensions, but unfortunately I can't seem to stretch out my quads enough to stop the pain the day after. I always stretch my hammys out completely, so they feel pretty loose today, despite being sore

:duel:

K

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Today I had to kind of waddle to class because my upper quads were very sore. I have gotten so much better at making the connection to the muscle when doing leg extensions, but unfortunately I can't seem to stretch out my quads enough to stop the pain the day after. I always stretch my hammys out completely, so they feel pretty loose today, despite being sore

:duel:
When you are waddling you are definitely doing something right.

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
Hey guys,

So yesterday I did a 2 packet of shock therapy day. I ended up heading off to the smaller gym on campus and hitting shoulders.

Now although I am not a huge fan of the flavor, ST definitely gets the job done.

Lateral DB raises 5 sets
Front DB rasises 5 sets
Overhead DB press 5 sets
Shrugs 4 sets
Machine real delt pulls 4 sets

Followed by 30 minutes of med intensity cardio because I was feeling great. Good stuff. I think we might have a winner actually.... already

Opiewags99

Opiewags99

Awards
Alrighty time to update again... But I have to admit I just watched the House's MD video of his training/ life. He's hardcore and I have a newfound respect for him, definitely one of my favorites

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Alrighty time to update again... But I have to admit I just watched the House's MD video of his training/ life. He's hardcore and I have a newfound respect for him, definitely one of my favorites
Great guy in person too. Universal/Animal has a way of choosing athletes who really capture their core values. Erik "The House" Fankhouser will be in the Animal booth at the Olympia and in The Cage at the Arnold Classic...