2 Supps Enter, 1 Supp Leaves (Pump VS Shock Therapy)

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
It seems as if Universal has sponsored a heavyweight matchup against two of their very own, to see which is the best pre-workout supp in the mind of 20 selected individuals. Your Referee and Announcer for this match-up is myself, Atrain.

Lets get this matchup under way by introducing the Competitors to the ring:

In the Purple Corner: SHOCK THERAPY

If you are looking for a pre-workout shake that will help power you up for the gym and make you feel like hitting the plates, wait no longer. The nitric oxide (NO) activators, creatine and stimulants in this formula will energize you while helping to make you look more vascular and gain size. Shock Therapy™ can actually motivate you to get into the gym and hit the weights! Unlike many of the other pre-workout NO products on the market, we include an antioxidant complex that is essential when taking nitric oxide stimulating ingredients, due to their oxidative nature on human cells. Now you can have the “perpetual pump,” the intense workout you crave, and keep your body safe from the free radicals that are produced as a side effect of the nitric oxide activation process.

Shock Therapy™ uses R-ALA to help shuttle the creatine and nitric oxide stimulating components into circulation, whereas the competition either does not use any form of alpha lipoic acid or uses the standard ALA, which has been shown to be less effective than R-ALA. Many individuals do not like to ingest aspartame and prefer sweeteners such as sucralose. Shock Therapy™ does not use any aspartame, while some of the other popular products do.

In the Red Corner: ANIMAL PUMP

A Fusion Of A CEE, Nitric Oxide, Energy And Antioxidants For Growth! A Pre-Workout Creatine Matrix - Built on the proven foundation of creatine, Animal Pump is no passing fancy. It's a no bull, high octane performance supplement designed to help you blast through plateaus and preconceived limitations. In addition to a full daily dose of creatine in the form of an advanced matrix (including patented MCC, CEE and TCM), you also get (1) a fusion of a swelling NO Blast Complex; (2) a shocking Energy Rush Complex; (3) an immune-support antioxidant blend; and (4) potent cell volumizers, all wrapped up in a special nutrient transport complex. From top to bottom, Animal Pump is complete and comprehensive.

The Rules​

This will be a 10 round match. Each supp will be used for 5 days at the same time, using the same workouts. I lift Mon-Fri with Sat and Sun as off days. This will not change for the course of the 10 days (12 counting off days) these supps will be used. I will post daily workouts, and daily thoughts to each supp as the day passes. At the end of the match I will post the final review and winner of the bout here and in the here: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/101618-poll-results-animal.html

The scouting report of the two competitors shows Shock Therapy to be the Underdog heading into this match-up.

Up first with gloves ready will be Shock Therapy.

Lets get this match under way: DING, DING

:duel:​

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Love the set up with this log A. Great work. Subbed.:thumbsup:

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
*Note on this Journal. All views in here are how these supplements worked for ME, or how MY body reacted to the supp. I hold Universal in the highest regards as a supp company, but will be 100% honest. If I do not like something I will let it be known. However remember these are all MY opinons and feelings, and you may not see or feel the same results.

Thanks U-Rep, and YoHead for the Subs. First 2 days of Shock to be posted here shortly.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Monday (Shoulders):

Shock Therapy

Time Taken: 1400 (30 Minutes Pre-Workout)

Other Supps Taken during the day: Pak, Flex, Omega, and Cuts (Separated from Shock by quite a few hours)

The Workout:

Front Lat Raise: 25/12 x 3
Standing BB Mil Press: 105/5 115/5 125/5 135/5 145/3
Side Lat Raise: 15/12 20/10 25/10 25/7
Rear Lat Raise: 20/12 20/10 25/10 25/7
Upright Row: 65/10 75/10 85/10

Assorted Abs

Thoughts/Feelings: Day 1 of Shock did not give me a very different feel in the gym. Pump was not forceful, yet I never seem to get a huge pump on this workout anyways. Only thing I noticed different then usual was dizziness, and a slight headache coming out of the workout. Can not confirm if it is the supplement or not. Later in the day I have very “soft” poop. Will continue to monitor.

TASTE: Absolutely horrible. I actually dread drinking this tomorrow. Maybe it’s the fact that its grape, but will experiment with water levels. As of now, horrible.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday (Legs)

Shock Therapy

Other Supps Taken during the day: Pak, Flex, Omega, and Cuts (Separated from Shock by quite a few hours)

The Workout:

Leg Extension (Light): 70/20 80/15 90/15
Squat: 135/10 205/5 225/5 250/5 275/3
Leg Press: 270/10 320/10 370/10 4th Set Incomplete
Hack Squat: 90/8 2nd – 4th Set Incomplete
Lying Leg Curl: 85/12 95/10 3rd - 4th Set Incomplete
*Did not finish Planned workout, see reason below

Thoughts/Feelings: Day 2 of Shock. Woke up ready for Leg day. Did the norm and took my Shock same time as yesterday, but this time within 30 min of taking it, nausea, dizziness, and just a plain ole’ sh!tty feeling was setting in. Went on to get this workout complete. Felt like @ss from the very beginning. Was weak on my squats, and felt like leaving as soon as I got there, but I wanted to and needed to get this workout in, so I dropped off the last set of Leg Press, then felt to sh!tty to get all sets of Hacks in and said at least finish up the Hammy portion of this workout. When I got to the Lying Leg Curl, I thought I was going to puke all over the place. Not a normal Leg Day puke feeling either. This was more of a Food Poisoning feeling.

I actually fear it’s the Shock giving me this feeling, because 1-3 hours after ingesting it, all symptoms are gone. I am scared to take this tomorrow, but I will see this through. Although if it gets worst, I will pull the plug on this supp.

TASTE: No change from yesterday, added a lot more water but its still horrific. Like I said, it might just be the Grape flavor. I don’t like grape, but I can tolerate it. Not this grape flavor though.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Shock Therapy is not down for the count just yet. Seems as if after round 2, Shock began to regain some strength and has came back out of its corner swinging. Will get the results of round 3 and 4 with Shock up here soon.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday (Chest)

Shock Therapy

Time Taken: 1830 (30 Minutes Pre-Workout)

The Workout:

Light Lat Flyes: 25/12 x 3
Flat BB Bench: 155/5 175/5 195/5 215/5 225/2(PR)
Incline DB: 35/12 45/10 50/10 55/8
Incline Flyes: 25/12 30/10 35/10

Assorted Abs

Thoughts/Feelings: Day 3 of Shock has been the best experience sent I started this supp. I did still have some light headness, but nowhere to the extent of the other days. I decided today to take it on a heavier stomach. The other days I was taking it on an empty stomach. Today I ate an apple 5 minutes before taking it. I think that did the trick. No nausea, no headaches. Actually I felt good in the gym with it today.

Vascualarity: Something I didn’t notice until now, but my vascularity is awesome with this. Veins popping everywhere. I do stay somewhat vascular through out the day as well.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Thursday (Back)

Shock Therapy

Time Taken: 1830 (45 Minutes Pre-Workout)

The Workout:

WG Pullups: Bodyweight 8 6 5
Deadlifts: 135/10 175/5 225/5 275/5 315/5 325/2(PR)(Lost Grip)
BB Rows: 135/6 155/5 165/5 170/5 175/5
DB Rows: 50/10 55/10 60/10
WG Front Pulldown: 100/10 110/10 120/8
Shrugs: 135/10x 4
Seated Calf Raise: 145/10 x 4

Thoughts/Feelings: Day 4 of Shock changed my outlook on this supp. I don’t absolutely hate it like I did a few days ago, but I am still not sold on it just yet, but I do have one more day left. Who knows. Once again taken with an apple, no nausea, no headaches, not even a light head feeling. Felt good, and strong. Extra energized today. Seems as if I am adjusting to it ok now, maybe the first few days was just my body rejecting it. Not sure. Tomorrow I will take on an empty stomach to see if it is indeed the apple helping me not suffer the horrible side effects I did on day 1 and 2.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Thursday (Back)

Shock Therapy

Time Taken: 1830 (45 Minutes Pre-Workout)

The Workout:

WG Pullups: Bodyweight 8 6 5
Deadlifts: 135/10 175/5 225/5 275/5 315/5 325/2(PR)(Lost Grip)
BB Rows: 135/6 155/5 165/5 170/5 175/5
DB Rows: 50/10 55/10 60/10
WG Front Pulldown: 100/10 110/10 120/8

Thoughts/Feelings: Day 4 of Shock changed my outlook on this supp. I don’t absolutely hate it like I did a few days ago, but I am still not sold on it just yet, but I do have one more day left. Who knows. Once again taken with an apple, no nausea, no headaches, not even a light head feeling. Felt good, and strong. Extra energized today. Seems as if I am adjusting to it ok now, maybe the first few days was just my body rejecting it. Not sure. Tomorrow I will take on an empty stomach to see if it is indeed the apple helping me not suffer the horrible side effects I did on day 1 and 2.
So, still Pump for ya?

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
So, still Pump for ya?
As of now, I'll have to say yeah. But, I think I want to invest into an actual tub of Shock after this trial run, just to see. My body is taking to it, but slowly. I know it took me a while to adjust and feel/enjoy the benifits of Pump when I started that a while back. Could be the same for Shock. I want to like Shock, the price is nice. I am just happy that sick shitty feeling has re-occured.

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Shock may take some time... the price is definitely a plus.

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
As of now, I'll have to say yeah. But, I think I want to invest into an actual tub of Shock after this trial run, just to see. My body is taking to it, but slowly. I know it took me a while to adjust and feel/enjoy the benifits of Pump when I started that a while back. Could be the same for Shock. I want to like Shock, the price is nice. I am just happy that sick shitty feeling has re-occured.
I'm subbed for the remnant bro. Looking good so far.

Hg

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Waiting for the 2nd half :) Sounds like you're going to like PUMP better. The phosphates & bicarbonates in the Shock Therapy might be what was giving you the stomach discomfort; I noticed this issue with JP8 which has alot more of these.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
I just want to appologize for not posting daily as planned, sometimes the Army can take your free time from you. However I have continued to workout, and tracked the supps for this log.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Friday (Arms):

Shock Therapy

The Workout:

Each Tri move is supersetted with the Bi move below it.

V-Bar Pressdown: 60/15 70/12 80/10 90/9 90/5
BB Curl: 55/15 60/12 65/10 70/8 75/7

CG Bench: 135/12 145/10 150/8 150/6
Ez Bar Preacher Curl: 50/12 50/12 50/10 50/10

Weighted Dips: 25/10 25/10 35/8
Cross Body Hammer Curl: 25/8 25/8 25/7

Assorted Abs

Thoughts/Feelings: Felt weak during the workout (No fault to Shock on this), but felt energized. No noticeable strength/pump increases from Shock after 5 days, but did notice more energy then previous days with the product.

Final Thoughts This arm workout is the last workout with Shock Therapy, the next workout entered here will be using Animal Pump. I am not going to post the full review on Shock just yet, but I will point out that after 5 days with Shock, I feel it may not be for me. I will post a full review on the product at the end of my time with Pump. I plan to review both seperatley, then review with a comparison review of the two.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Monday (Shoulders):

Animal Pump

The Workout:
Front Lat Raise: 25/12 x 3
Standing BB Mil Press: 105/5 115/5 125/5 135/4 135/3
Side Lat Raise: 15/12 20/10 25/10 25/7
Rear Lat Raise: 20/12 20/10 30/10 30/8
Upright Row: 75/10 80/10 85/8

Assorted Abs

Thoughts/Feelings: Day 1 of Pump was “ok”. No muscle buldging pump, and only a slight increase of energy. To early to really begin to comment. Will have more to say on the product as the week goes by.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Waiting for the 2nd half :) Sounds like you're going to like PUMP better. The phosphates & bicarbonates in the Shock Therapy might be what was giving you the stomach discomfort; I noticed this issue with JP8 which has alot more of these.
Yeah, I have always had problems with powdered pre-workout supps. Like I said before, I honestly feel my body may have been just rejecting it the first few days because the tail end of the trial was not that bad. It was actually an ok experience.

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for hoping on HG, hope the tail end is a little more exciting then the beginning.
Hey I'm not here for the excitment bro. I'm here to see how you do on the products and see which one works better for you.

The first few times I used ST I had a rough start too. It is a little high in something for me and it isn't the stims because I can handle them. It gave me a slight headache during lifting the first 2 times I used it but then after that I never had an issue again. Those headaches could have also been due to other life stresses so that is why I stuck with it for several tries to be sure. I like to give things a good run before I make up my mind.

I love the product now and have destroyed 2 tubs of it over the last several months. I prefer the Grape flavor myself. It mixes well with my EAA Nitro ;)

Hg

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Diving in here real quick, I know this review is way over due. U-Rep all the reps...sorry about this, some things came up over here that kept me away from the PC. Got a quick sec here just to say I will post up those last couple workouts and the final review tonight or tomorrow (time allowing).

I really do appologize, please don't think I won't hold my end of the bargin. The workouts were completed just never posted, and the review was hand written in my spare time. Promise to have it up real soon.

Once again sorry about this, did not forsee the lack of internet connection at the time!!

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
Diving in here real quick, I know this review is way over due. U-Rep all the reps...sorry about this, some things came up over here that kept me away from the PC. Got a quick sec here just to say I will post up those last couple workouts and the final review tonight or tomorrow (time allowing).

I really do appologize, please don't think I won't hold my end of the bargin. The workouts were completed just never posted, and the review was hand written in my spare time. Promise to have it up real soon.

Once again sorry about this, did not forsee the lack of internet connection at the time!!
No worries bro, I'll be looking for it.

Hg

King Con

Awards
  • Established

It's all good trust me I understand A. Just tend to the matters at hand. :thumbsup:

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established

How ya got everything resolved, A. No problems.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Continuing where I left off

Tuesday (Legs) 9 SEP:

Animal Pump

The Workout:
Leg Extensions (Light): 70/20 80/15 90/10
Squats: 135/10 195/5 205/5 225/5 250/5 275/4(PR)
Leg Press: 270/10 320/10 380/10 430/6(PR)
Hack Squat: 90/10 110/10 110/5

Lying Leg Curl: 85/10 95/10 105/10 105/7
Seated Leg Curl: 85/10 95/10 105/10 105/8

Seated Calf Raise: 145/10 145/10 145/8 145/10
Standing Calf: 80/25 95/25 105/25 115/25

Thoughts/Feelings: Day 2 of Pump was better then usual. Still no muscle buldging pumps, yet a huge increase of energy. Set two PR’s for legs, very excited about this.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday (Chest) 10 SEP:

Animal Pump

The Workout:
Light Lat Flyes: 25/12 x 3
Flat BB Bench: 155/5 175/5 195/5 215/5 225/4(PR)
Incline DB: 40/12 45/10 50/10 55/10
Incline Flyes: 25/12 30/10 35/10
Assorted Abs

Thoughts/Feelings: Day 3 of Pump created ridiculous pumps in the chest. My chest felt as if it was going to explode. Broke my PR on the Bench Press by 2 additional reps over last week with Shock Therapy.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Thursday (Back) 11 SEP:

Animal Pump

The Workout:
WG Pullups: Bodyweight 8 8 5
Deadlifts: 135/10 175/5 225/5 275/5 315/5 325/1
BB Rows: 135/6 155/5 170/5 175/5 180/4
DB Rows: 55/10 60/10 65/7
WG Front Pulldown: 100/10 110/10 120/10

Thoughts/Feelings: Day 4 of Pump was average to say the least, didn’t get that good of a Pump, although I rarely do on back days, but the Bis were pumped. Overall numbers increased slightly as I would have expected, lost reps in my Deadlift on the last set. Hit a sticking point, and that was it.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Friday (Arms) 12 SEP:

Animal Pump

The Workout:
Each Tri move is supersetted with the Bi move below it.

V-Bar Pressdown: 60/15 70/12 80/10 90/9 90/7
BB Curl: 55/15 60/12 65/10 70/8 75/8

CG Bench: 135/12 145/10 155/8 155/5
Ez Bar Preacher Curl: 50/12 50/12 50/12 50/12

Weighted Dips: 25/10 25/10 35/10
Cross Body Hammer Curl: 25/10 25/9 25/7

Thoughts/Feelings: Day 5, and the final day of the Pump review was good, arms were swollen to say the least, once again no drastic change in numbers over sets, however I did add a few more reps to a few of the sets. Overall, great gun show!

Final Thoughts I came in knowing how Pump works, I also knew of reports of people not feeling the effects fully until 10 days after using the product. I was able to feel it somewhat stronger, but not as strong as others claim. The pump level was good, but the energy level was better.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
Final Review

First off I would like to thank Universal and Animal for allowing me to try these two products side by side and make a decision of which product suits me best.

Secondly, I really would like to apologize to Universal and Animal for this log not being completed on time. I did not for see the events to come that came, and if I had, I would not have placed my name in the hat. Universal, Animal you have my sincerest apologies.

Now for my actual review:

I came into this knowing about Animal Pump. I have used it prior to this, however I was unfamiliar with Shock Therapy. I took a few weeks off of Pump as I was waiting for the supps to arrive, as to “detox” myself, and come into this test fresh.

As you know I started off with Shock Therapy. I wasn’t so sure abut this product because I have heard horror stories in the past. Regardless the first day came to take it, and I felt sick the whole workout. This continued over the next couple days, but with less and less sick feeling.

Although it didn’t make me feel well the whole time, the workouts I was able to muster up were fine, yet I could not finish my Leg day. Red Flag for me. Yet I trucked on, and had a PR workout by day 4, and the sickness never came back for the last 2 days of my eval.

Now it was time for Pump, I know Pump does not take full effect immediately on some people. Some feel the effects sooner then others, and some feel its full effects after 10 days. I kept this in mind. It was a pleasure to take Pump, and easy to transport. Pop a pack in your bag, and your good to go. I felt no adverse side effects with Pump, although Shock did give me a little more muscle bulging pump then Animal Pump, the overall energy of Pump was better. I was not jittery, and did not crash.

To sum the above up in 3 words: I prefer Pump!

Review By The Numbers:

Taste:

Shock Therapy (Grape): 2/10 Horrible, it was dreadful to drink. Maybe I could bump that number up with another flavor, but Grape is horrible

Animal Pump: N/A I feel I can not rate this do to it not being a flavored Supp

Ease Of Use:

Shock Therapy: 8/10 Powders limit being thrown into a bag, yet all you have to do is add water and shake.

Animal Pump: 10/10 Just tear open the pouch and swallow.

Stim Control:

Shock Therapy: 2/10 You really can’t adjust this supp to fit your lifestyle. What I mean by this those who lift at night are unable to remove the stimulants.

Animal Pump: 10/10 For those night lifters or those who are Stim sensitive, just remove the red pill and you get all the benefits of Animal Pump minus the energy stim

Overall Pump:

Shock Therapy: 8/10 Very nice pumps, sometimes painful, yet still able to lift

Animal Pump: 5/10 Not over bearing pumps, but enough to let you know that you are working.

Energy

Shock Therapy: 7/10 Got good energy, yet I got that jittery energy, with a little crash at the end.

Animal Pump: 9/10 Awesome energy boost without any jitters, no crash

Summary

That finalizes my review. I myself prefer Pump over Shock therapy for ease of use, the ability to remove the stim, a steady base of energy with no crash at the end.

After 10 rounds in this ring, your winner is: ANIMAL PUMP

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
Nice work A and welcome back man. Life is busy, we all know that man. Very well done on the review.

Hg

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Wow very solid review and very good analysis. :thumbsup:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
garz Supplement Auction 2
Supplements 13
Supplements 1
Supplement Auction 6
Supplement Auction 6