Volcom's, Controlled Labs' - Look good in dem BLUE GENE(s), Sponsored Log

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Direct Link to OFFICIAL STARTING page if you want to skip the 12 pages of pre-cycle discussions and conversationshttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/101842-volcom-s-controlled-12.html#post1514309

Direct Link to FINAL REVIEW page http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/101842-volcom-s-controlled-39.html#post1560873

Direct Link to second half of this log, days 30-60, THE SECOND COMING http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/101842-volcom-s-controlled-40.html#post1562990

Edit: Forgive my manners. First and foremost, I'd like to thank Controlled Labs for their confidence in sponsoring this log. A special thanks out to Renegade for informing me of this opportunity, and I hope to deliver to everyone's expectations in detail and accuracy. Thank you.

What is it?

Blue GENE

- Controlled Release Formula
- Stimulant Free Endurance and Stamina
- Natural / Legal Power and Performance
- Optimize Natural Hormone Levels and Recovery

Designed to help the serious athlete optimize mitochondrial biogenesis, hormone level ratios, and support oxygen rich blood cells during athletic performance and recovery, this stimulant-free formula means more endurance, power, and better recovery without pro-hormones or grey area compounds. No hormones means no post-cycle therapy, depression, or other risks associated with exogenous hormonal ingestion.

I intend on testing both the muscle strength [perhaps even peak power; 1RM] and muscle endurance this product intends to offer. If I do test peak power, this aspect may change very little from beginning to end, because I will be lifting in a hypertrophy facilitating manner and peak power requires some fine tuning of neuromuscular mechanisms, which will a tertiary adaption to my training scheme.

I will perform muscle strength and my muscle endurance PR’s this week, before I begin my cycle and then another strength/endurance/(peak power) re-evaluation at the fourth week. If all goes well, I will provide videos to validate my PR information.

The most rational question. Won’t training alone result in positive end results? If I were an untrained lifter, fresh to bodybuilding, then yes, it would be a quite notable improvement. However, I’ve not only been lifting for years, but more specifically, I’ve been lifting predominantly higher volume focused all summer and will continue that same regiment, which means two things. Number one, my gains have longed reached a threshold of accelerated improvements. Meaning, at this point, my gains are minute. Number two, as a result that I’ve been in this muscle response threshold, Blue Gene has an uphill battle to create NOTABLE improvements, so we’ll see how impressive this product can be.

Also, I will provide measurements, as MOST of us here, are the MOST interested in muscle hypertrophy. I’ll take measurements this week and the fourth week.

I am uncertain of the ETA of my bottle, but this entire week will be a pre-cycle evaluation of performance and measurements. My pre-cycle performance evaluation will be stripped of any other supplements obviously.

Date: 08/18/08

Today, I performed a pre cycle strength & endurance evaluation on the Dead Lifts. Admittedly, neither lifts are a reflection of muscle endurance, but lean toward muscle strength. Due to the fact that I am susceptible to lumbar injuries (as I have a history of L2 or L3 slip disc, either way it sucked) I will not be performing 1RM Deads. However, do not worry, I still keep it respectably hardcore.

I may perform strength evaluations throughout, but for sure at the end of the cycle.

I also intend on posting Upper Body endurance with Db's and perhaps some heavier reps with Bench, as part of my pre cycle strength and endurance evaluation

405lbs for 8 reps, video validation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47bTdVzFK-8"]YouTube - Dead lifts[/ame]

455lbs for 3 reps, video validation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xb3XNYzekw"]YouTube - Dead lifts 2[/ame]

This is where I currently stand strength wise, as far as over-all strength. I'll perform upper body strength shortly.

Date 08/19/08

I just got my measurements taken.

- All measurements were done without apparel obstruction.
- All measurements were done in a muscle relaxed state, EXCEPT for one, which I will specify.

I'll provide measurements in inches and centimeters, for our international friends like Jakellpet.

Current Weight: 214lbs or 97.27kg

Neck: 15.5 inch or 39.37cm

I don't understand this neck measurement thing. I don't see this number changing too drastically. It doesn't measure trap size, hypertrophy doesn't really occur at the insertion points at the base of the occipital region. The only perceivable muscles on the "neck" are the sternocleidomastoids (fancy word), those two muscles running from base of your jaw to your clavicle.

Upper Arm (bi's & tri's): 15 inches or 38.1cm

Upper Arm (Flexed): 18 1/4 inches or 46.35cm

Lower Arm (forearms): 12 3/4 inches or 32.38cm

Chest (beneath arms): 44 inches or 111.76cm

Chest (around delts): 52 inches or 132.08cm

Upper Leg (Quads & Hams): 23 inches 58.42cm

Lower Leg (Calves): 16.5 inches or 41.91cm

Waist: 36 3/4 inches or 93.34cm

Date: 08/19/08

This is a pre-cycle endurance evaluation. I performed the chest press with the 100lbs Db's for 17 reps.

Video Validation
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ1k3DeWd4o"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Date: 08/22/08
Final Strength Evaluations

Heavy Bench, 295lbs x 7 reps
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GG1ThgpZlQ"]YouTube - Benchpress[/ame]

Heavy Dips, 2 Plates hanging off a chain belt.

This is it, my pre-cycle measurements of strength and endurance are completed. I will provide end result performance measurements by the end of the cycle. Thanks to all of you who have come to hang out with us here.

Just for fun:

Pec Dec Modification; My personal tweak when the rack just isn't enough. It's easier then it looks, so don't be too impressed
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqZj3YVRds"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Edit: I realize I posted this at the end of this page, but I wanted to include this pre-strength evaluation in my introduction for any passer-byes who are simply browsing the log. I apologize for the redundancy.

-Samuel

Last edited:
metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
First in!!! Looks very interesting! You know Im in homey!

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
You know I'm here. Rock this thing bro!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You know I'm here. Rock this thing bro!
It will be rocked :thumbsup:

I'll try and put up video PR's throughout this week and again collectively at the very end, before my official start of the product, so beware of redundancy.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
subbed for all the goodies on the way: updates, forearms, testosterone release parties, rack deads/shrugs supersets, viking's insane vids, etc etc.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yup, here dude. "Look good in dem blue genes" tho? :think:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup, here dude. "Look good in dem blue genes" tho? :think:
Lee Priest in the house.

After so many logs, "normal titles" don't seem to cut it. You know us Southern Californians, we have to get Hollywood with it, it's a disease, a horrible, horrible disease.

Last edited:

avenue Red

Awards
very interested in this log. i want to use this for swimming so cant wait to see how it works for u

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
What kind of training do you mainly work with Volcom? I'm excited to see how my log will compare to yours and Irish Cannon's based solely on workout splits. I don't train necessarily *common* to what others do :)

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey Vol, how often do you think you will test your 1rm?

I think having something like this in a log is more useful then the generic feedback such as weight gain. I really enjoyed following someones log in which they tested their 4 rep max on the flat bb bench once every 10 days. It gave me a better eyeball idea of its effects assuming the person kept A LOT of other things constant.

Regardless I understand how doing something like this for viewers can impede your own goals so I understand if you choose not too.

Should be a good log either way!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What kind of training do you mainly work with Volcom? I'm excited to see how my log will compare to yours and Irish Cannon's based solely on workout splits. I don't train necessarily *common* to what others do :)
I'm going to "assume" your training is more power based, due to the kettle bell aspect. Not that kettle bells are restricted to just power movements, you can use them for strength or hypertrophy regiments, but I believe they are optimal for power (by the way, I realize you are a Certified Kettle Trainer, so that last piece of information was primarily for everybody else who may be reading along :thumbsup:)

Again, these are my assumptions, I've never had a chance to read any of your previous logs so I don't know how you train. For the most part, S&C coaches use kettle bells as part of a power & plyo program (one arm snatches and what not), which is what I base my friendly assumptions on.

I generally switch back & forth from a strength focused regiment to a hypertrophy focused regiment. I was on the verge of switching over to a strength based regiment before this sponsorship popped up, so I decided to maintain my current hypertrophy focused regiment, in order to not have improvements confused in the mix up. Neural adaption are drastic in the first two weeks, and it would be hard to accredit which is the driving component behind the new strength gains, the supplement or natural neuromuscular adaptions.

I'm not sure if I answered your question, but I'd enjoy hearing about your non-traditional training.

Edit: Apart from how I normally train deads, I will have a pre and post blue GENE, Deads muscle strength/endurance evaluation that will obviously go above 5 reps.

Last edited:
VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Vol, how often do you think you will test your 1rm?

I think having something like this in a log is more useful then the generic feedback such as weight gain. I really enjoyed following someones log in which they tested their 4 rep max on the flat bb bench once every 10 days. It gave me a better eyeball idea of its effects assuming the person kept A LOT of other things constant.

Regardless I understand how doing something like this for viewers can impede your own goals so I understand if you choose not too.

Should be a good log either way!
Testing my 1RM on occasion, wouldn’t distract me from my goals too much. At least for chest. A high volume regiment has its principle in a very blatant key element, high volume. Opening a chest workout with some warm ups into a 1RM flat bench, then finishing the rest of my workout in a traditional higher volume fashion will still ultimately meet the requirement of microtrauma through volume.

Deads however, no other exercise mimics deads, like other chest exercises mimic bench. However, I train deads in the 5 rep range anyway. I found that 10 reps at 405+ simply burns me out due to the severely compound nature of the lift, and I go from 10 reps, to 4 the next set. I found the 5 rep range most effective for myself.

I know the equation to project 1RM’s with multiple Reps if need be.

However, I’m not 100% certain that absolute strength is the principle effect of blue GENE. It sounds more endurance, stamina, recovery based (which is intimately close to what PH’s do, but PH’s also generally provide a pretty impressive strength gain, along with the muscle endurance). I don’t mind focusing more on strength, (if that’s what people want to see) with a lower rep, higher weight range, but I’d have to start TODAY, and the first week of my cycle may be left to a lot of speculation as to the root of my strength gains.

I’ll keep it in mind Noyd. Personally, I prefer the heavier weights, I think they’re much more fun, so perhaps I’ll try to assuage your curiosity on occasion just for fun.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lee Priest in the house.

After so many logs, "normal titles" don't seem to cut it. You know us Southern Californians, we have to get Hollywood with it, it's a disease, a horrible, horrible disease.
:cool:

LOL, it's a catchy title dude. Looking forward to your input thruout.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pre Cycle Strength & Endurance Evaluation

Date: 08/18/08

Today, I performed a pre cycle strength & endurance evaluation on the Dead Lifts. Admittedly, neither lifts are a reflection of muscle endurance, but lean toward muscle strength. Due to the fact that I am susceptible to lumbar injuries (as I have a history of L2 or L3 slip disc, either way it sucked) I will not be performing 1RM Deads. However, do not worry, I still keep it respectably hardcore.

I may perform strength evaluations throughout, but for sure at the end of the cycle.

I also intend on posting Upper Body endurance with Db's and perhaps some heavier reps with Bench, as part of my pre cycle strength and endurance evaluation

405lbs for 8 reps, video validation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47bTdVzFK-8"]YouTube - Dead lifts[/ame]

455lbs for 3 reps, video validation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xb3XNYzekw"]YouTube - Dead lifts 2[/ame]

This is where I currently stand strength wise, as far as over-all strength. I'll perform upper body strength shortly.

All videos are automatically updated into the intro page

Last edited:
jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice pullin', Volcom. Form looked good to me. That might put you 475-500 for a single.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice pullin', Volcom. Form looked good to me. That might put you 475-500 for a single.
Thanks Jas, (I doubt he's coming back though.) I'm fairly confident I have it in me to pull 500lbs. I pulled 495lbs for 2 in May, but then I had that horrendous re-aggravation of my slip disc the week after. Remember when I came crying to your log, telling you guys how I can't walk because the Chiro did something funky and further aggravated, my aggravation. Therefore, I don't trust the current stability of my back for singles. I have to measure strength progression by general strength, rather then peak power (1RM).

(I don't think he's going to get this, but anyway)

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Exciting new Supp. from a quality co.

Pre Cycle Strength & Endurance Evaluation? Love it! That's indicates a serious commitment to sponsorship - setting the benchmark mate!

Im on this for the longhaul!

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
nice videos bro!

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
reppin la verne. nice lifts. you use versa grips it looks like too. or are they just normal straps?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Jas, (I doubt he's coming back though.) I'm fairly confident I have it in me to pull 500lbs. I pulled 495lbs for 2 in May, but then I had that horrendous re-aggravation of my slip disc the week after. Remember when I came crying to your log, telling you guys how I can't walk because the Chiro did something funky and further aggravated, my aggravation. Therefore, I don't trust the current stability of my back for singles. I have to measure strength progression by general strength, rather then peak power (1RM).

(I don't think he's going to get this, but anyway)
:FUfinger: I'm still here. That sounds like a smart plan (doing triples and whatnot). Glad to hear your back is better. I had of problems with mine when I was younger so I don't blame you for complaining about it back then. Back problems can be excruciating.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
reppin la verne. nice lifts. you use versa grips it looks like too. or are they just normal straps?
You got a damn good eye, man, seriously. Not so impressed with you recognizing that the place was La Verne, this time the facility is much more obvious then the last vid, but yes, versa grips. The heavy duty ones. I think they sell three sizes, and I have whatever the biggest one is.

Engineers and their eye for detail, sheeesh!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:FUfinger: I'm still here. That sounds like a smart plan (doing triples and whatnot). Glad to hear your back is better. I had of problems with mine when I was younger so I don't blame you for complaining about it back then. Back problems can be excruciating.
Someone look outside and let me know if you see four horsemen in the sky

Yes indeed, back pain is the worse and if you'll notice (I'm surprised Inspector Rolanda didn't catch it), I'm wearing two belts. One general stability lumbar wrap and my weight belt over it. I'm still wearing them both right now. I stretched afterward profusely, had my brother do a deep tissue with his knees on my back and I'll probably keep these suckers on until bed time. I felt a slight strain at the left erector spinae (very susceptible area for me), nothing serious, but enough for me to want to pamper the lumbar tonight.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
You got a damn good eye, man, seriously. Not so impressed with you recognizing that the place was La Verne, this time the facility is much more obvious then the last vid, but yes, versa grips. The heavy duty ones. I think they sell three sizes, and I have whatever the biggest one is.

Engineers and their eye for detail, sheeesh!
i use em too. ive had the same ones for about a year or more now. tho the last 2 or 3 months have not seen so much use because ive tryed to stray away from them in order to develope my grip strength more. i bought em from body builders (i think thats what its called) in upland. love em to death.

had an experience today you might relate to. my gf works for in n out and they had their company picnic today. unlimited burgers and fris. and guess who is still trying to shed some fat and had to decline all of that southern california goodness...the pain i endured to say no to that.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i use em too. ive had the same ones for about a year or more now. tho the last 2 or 3 months have not seen so much use because ive tryed to stray away from them in order to develope my grip strength more. i bought em from body builders (i think thats what its called) in upland. love em to death.

had an experience today you might relate to. my gf works for in n out and they had their company picnic today. unlimited burgers and fris. and guess who is still trying to shed some fat and had to decline all of that southern california goodness...the pain i endured to say no to that.
OMG, unlimited IN & OUT!!! and you couldn't partake! Ugggghhhh, kudos on the self control, but MAN!!! That's when you take the Beverly Hills High approach. LAXATIVES!!! I'm just (partially) kidding :thumbsup:

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the hint, Volcom! Subscribed! :thumbsup:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
IN it to WIN it. I chose Volcom for a reason; this boy doesn't mess around!!!!! Thanks again, I"m really looking forward to the journey and the amazing effort you put into your workouts and your logs. :D

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the VIP invite bud....I'm in. :thumbsup:

Cheers!:cheers:

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
sweet a new volcom log!!!
it's metroba who's responsible for bringing the models.
i'll bring the burgers....

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Orders up babeh!

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ehh maybe her lower legs but her ass looks :food: in that dress

edit: took a second look. Youre right it looks like her calves/shins were photoshopped on

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Irish, and thanks for dropping in :thumbsup:
Since I was picked to log both Blue Gene and Anabolic Edge, my Blue Gene log won't start for a little while, but Renegade and I decided on doing a comparison log. I feel both products will be incredible, and their stacking potential look to be very promising. I'll be reviewing both supplements seperately to understand the benefits of each and share what I feel would be the benefit of the two together.

I'll be sure to watch your log closely and take some notes for when my Blue Gene log begins later in September.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys, thanks for everyone for dropping in. It encourages me to put in the extra effort. This being my first "sponsored" log, I'd like to make sure I bring a grateful amount of quality.

I bought a measuring tape this morning from Walmart, before I came to work, so tonight, I'll post pre-cycle measurements. The last time I took my measurements was for a College, Exercise Physiology Lab course and I weighed 230lbs, so although I do have measurement numbers for myself, it was 15lbs ago.

I'll measure later on tonight, at least 3 hours post workout, so I don't get inaccurate, blood pump, swole'ness factors. I would genuinely like to see valid improvements, so posting big numbers isn't in my personal best interest.

Also, I mentioned that I slightly strained my lower, left side last night. I almost definitely over-exerted myself. I think it was my 4th Deadlift session in 8 days, one of those days were just Rack Deads, but still. The strain appears to be extremely minor, I think I'll just not perform Deads or anything lumbar strenuous until next week and I'll be more then fine.

I planned on performing a muscle endurance eval tonight, using 100lbs Db's and pressing out as many as possible, however, due to the current nature of my lumbar, I don't plan on using the Db's, the walking around, racking, unracking, and dropping back into press position doesn't seem like a wise decision at the moment, if I want my back to me 100% by next week. I don't want to blow of hole in the damn if you know what i mean.

Therefore, I will probably have to go the less desired route, but equally, if not more so credible, football combine 225lbs bench press for max reps. OOOORRRRR, I could do heavier sets today to see more so where my strength is and do an endurance check later this week, when my lumbar feels more stable.

Either way, I'll be posting measurements tonight and thanks again for the support.

P.S. Best case scenario, I'd like to use the 100lbs Db's or endurance and 125lbs Db's for strength. I'm in one of those seasons where the bench just feels awkward and uncharacteristically heavy, I can't explain it, but something just feels, "OFF."

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since I was picked to log both Blue Gene and Anabolic Edge, my Blue Gene log won't start for a little while, but Renegade and I decided on doing a comparison log. I feel both products will be incredible, and their stacking potential look to be very promising. I'll be reviewing both supplements seperately to understand the benefits of each and share what I feel would be the benefit of the two together.

I'll be sure to watch your log closely and take some notes for when my Blue Gene log begins later in September.
I saw that post, you're in high demand there bud :thumbsup: A comparison log sounds fantastic, double the fun and double the results, sounds like a solid deal. I'm glad to have you here and I appreciate the support.

P.S. Your pic looked solid, great conditioning.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
thanks for the invite bud...I'm subbed!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Smith Warning

Upon approval by Snagency :stick:

I believe I will perform my Endurance Evaluation on the Smith Bench Press, using 225lbs. However, I will perform a Strength Evaluation on the Free Weight Bench. My justification for the Smith, is that if I'm testing endurance, which is defined by my muscle's ability to forcefully contract multiple times in a single bout, then the exertion of energy on balance and stability would be a legitimately obstructing factor (over-time) to the over-all performance. In a 1RM, 3RM or 5RM, this extra expenditure of energy on stability and balance would not have such a performance diminishing role, however, in 15+ reps testing, my muscle endurance my not be the limiting factor, but a short-coming of general energy.

- Strength Evaluation on Free Bench
- Endurance Evaluation on Smith Bench

If there are any objections, please let me know and I’ll take it into serious consideration.

Message to Snagency: Endurance is not meant to be "AS" hardcore :stick:

Pre-Apology: I will pre-apologize for redundancy, as I will mostly likely re-post this paragraph if I provide video validation. [Assuming I do not get too many objections to my proposed approach to measuring endurance.]