Muscle cramp prevention?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Muscle cramp prevention?

Hey Super Human Society, what is your most effective way to prevent or minimize muscle cramps?

2. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Answers

In the clinical setting doctors recommend prehydration as the most important way to prevent cramps in elite athletes. Typically the method is plenty of water 24-36 hours before your event, to the point your urine is light/near clear. 12 hours before your event be drinking 50/50 mix of water and electrolyte drink like gatorade. During event be drinking an electrolyte drink like gatorade.
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    In the clinical setting doctors recommend prehydration as the most important way to prevent cramps in elite athletes. Typically the method is plenty of water 24-36 hours before your event, to the point your urine is light/near clear. 12 hours before your event be drinking 50/50 mix of water and electrolyte drink like gatorade. During event be drinking an electrolyte drink like gatorade.
    Great advice.

On top of that, if you're already experiencing them, I usually end up taking in some extra potassium (bananas are optimal, and you can just go with potassium supplements, too). When I'd play baseball and get cramps from the heat and dehydration, I'd rock some tums and bananas (on top of drinking tons of water and my gatorade, powerade, or all sport).
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
    •   

4. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Answers

Bananas are essential....good thinking!

Remember the fizzy All Sport? I liked the dark purple kind
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    Bananas are essential....good thinking!

Remember the fizzy All Sport? I liked the dark purple kind
    Haha, yes, I remember it. The fruit punch was always my favorite. Reminds me of my dad driving me to basketball practices, haha.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Great advice.

On top of that, if you're already experiencing them, I usually end up taking in some extra potassium (bananas are optimal, and you can just go with potassium supplements, too). When I'd play baseball and get cramps from the heat and dehydration, I'd rock some tums and bananas (on top of drinking tons of water and my gatorade, powerade, or all sport).
    Bananas always work for me!
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for the replies. I do eat bananas from time to time however, I have tried to limit the bananas due to the extra sugars same goes for the sports drinks. I have also learned that avocadoes have about 4 times the potassium as a banana plus some better fats. I throw them in the mix sometimes as well. My cramping seems a bit more chronic than a normal sports cramp, almost as if my muscles are in a constant state of a partial cramp. It’s the worst and most noticeable when I stand up after sitting for any amount of time. My body always feels like I have to stretch and when I do from my hams up my back instantly cramp and almost take me down each time. I drink a consistent gallon plus of water each day so hydration shouldn’t be the issue. I think I will try and add in a magnesium and possibly potassium supplement. Hopefully that will help ease out this feeling.
  8. Radio Host
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Don't overlook sodium when dealing with muscle cramps. I never thought it played a role until I had a discussion with Dave Pulcinella. Potassium in the absence of proper sodium will still lead to cramping. Ask any BB'r who has had a bad experience with potassium sparing diuretics and still had crippling cramps.. as Josh points out.. balanced electrolytes are best.. though I would avoid Gatorade IMHO.. who needs the corn syrup.. but that's just me being me...
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Interesting advice in regards to sodium. I typically avoid salt at all costs except on the weekends when my food isn't prepared. I think I will have to add it back in slow since I notice extreme swelling mostly in my hands when I get to much on the weekends. Maybe I will experiment a bit this week, try to add in a touch of sodium to my meals I cook on Sunday for the week. I will try to stick to sea salt for the added minerals. I am pretty sure I can also add electrolytes to my shakes from true protein next time in get in an order.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

potassium + magnisium
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

beside water and electrolyte drinks, I have found magnesium helped me out a lot. I take ZMA Nightcap and use Magnesium oil.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

alot of good information here. I agree with nattys outlined prehydration couple with electolytes. Potassium and magnesium are great too. I also found taurine to be helpful as well.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pine Bark Extract Relieves Muscle Cramp And Pain
    By yeahright in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 10:40 PM
  2. Quad cramp on bench
    By qwerty666 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 05:30 PM
  3. Horrible headaches after muscle cramp...
    By drivehard in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 12:04 PM
  4. Clen and muscle loss prevention?
    By pcn in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-05-2006, 09:40 PM
  5. Calves that cramp
    By wranglergirl in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 08:05 PM