Muscle cramp prevention?

4tpayne

Awards
Hey Super Human Society, what is your most effective way to prevent or minimize muscle cramps?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In the clinical setting doctors recommend prehydration as the most important way to prevent cramps in elite athletes. Typically the method is plenty of water 24-36 hours before your event, to the point your urine is light/near clear. 12 hours before your event be drinking 50/50 mix of water and electrolyte drink like gatorade. During event be drinking an electrolyte drink like gatorade.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In the clinical setting doctors recommend prehydration as the most important way to prevent cramps in elite athletes. Typically the method is plenty of water 24-36 hours before your event, to the point your urine is light/near clear. 12 hours before your event be drinking 50/50 mix of water and electrolyte drink like gatorade. During event be drinking an electrolyte drink like gatorade.
Great advice.

On top of that, if you're already experiencing them, I usually end up taking in some extra potassium (bananas are optimal, and you can just go with potassium supplements, too). When I'd play baseball and get cramps from the heat and dehydration, I'd rock some tums and bananas (on top of drinking tons of water and my gatorade, powerade, or all sport).

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bananas are essential....good thinking!

Remember the fizzy All Sport? I liked the dark purple kind
Haha, yes, I remember it. The fruit punch was always my favorite. Reminds me of my dad driving me to basketball practices, haha.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great advice.

On top of that, if you're already experiencing them, I usually end up taking in some extra potassium (bananas are optimal, and you can just go with potassium supplements, too). When I'd play baseball and get cramps from the heat and dehydration, I'd rock some tums and bananas (on top of drinking tons of water and my gatorade, powerade, or all sport).
Bananas always work for me!

4tpayne

Awards
Thanks for the replies. I do eat bananas from time to time however, I have tried to limit the bananas due to the extra sugars same goes for the sports drinks. I have also learned that avocadoes have about 4 times the potassium as a banana plus some better fats. I throw them in the mix sometimes as well. My cramping seems a bit more chronic than a normal sports cramp, almost as if my muscles are in a constant state of a partial cramp. It’s the worst and most noticeable when I stand up after sitting for any amount of time. My body always feels like I have to stretch and when I do from my hams up my back instantly cramp and almost take me down each time. I drink a consistent gallon plus of water each day so hydration shouldn’t be the issue. I think I will try and add in a magnesium and possibly potassium supplement. Hopefully that will help ease out this feeling.

triceptor

Radio Host
Awards
  • Established
Don't overlook sodium when dealing with muscle cramps. I never thought it played a role until I had a discussion with Dave Pulcinella. Potassium in the absence of proper sodium will still lead to cramping. Ask any BB'r who has had a bad experience with potassium sparing diuretics and still had crippling cramps.. as Josh points out.. balanced electrolytes are best.. though I would avoid Gatorade IMHO.. who needs the corn syrup.. but that's just me being me...

4tpayne

Awards
Interesting advice in regards to sodium. I typically avoid salt at all costs except on the weekends when my food isn't prepared. I think I will have to add it back in slow since I notice extreme swelling mostly in my hands when I get to much on the weekends. Maybe I will experiment a bit this week, try to add in a touch of sodium to my meals I cook on Sunday for the week. I will try to stick to sea salt for the added minerals. I am pretty sure I can also add electrolytes to my shakes from true protein next time in get in an order.

rayden1

Awards
beside water and electrolyte drinks, I have found magnesium helped me out a lot. I take ZMA Nightcap and use Magnesium oil.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
alot of good information here. I agree with nattys outlined prehydration couple with electolytes. Potassium and magnesium are great too. I also found taurine to be helpful as well.