Show suggestions?

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Post your suggestions for upcoming episodes of Super Human Radio in this thread!

loco_gigo

Awards
lets have Dr. Michael Smith on to discuss the effects of mangosteen and sphaeranthus indicous on fat burning... VERY interesting article in this months life extension... and Dr. Smith is always entertaining and enlightening.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would like to hear Dr.Mauro Di. Pasquale again. I know he was on the show years ago and I listened to that one. Really would like to hear him again.
I agree with this.

Maybe Lyle Mcdonald.....oh..wait....nevermind. lol

Norcal Mike

Norcal Mike

Awards
Mat Lalonde on Auto****y

It'd be interesting to hear Mat (or anyone, really) discuss the rationale, mechanisms, and his experimenting with inducing muscle auto****y (auto-fay-gee, correct spelling is apparently censored). From what I understand, it's basically protein fasting to promote internal housecleaning which preserves muscle mass and function. There's an abstract of a study on it here, which is summarized here. Both links are WFS.

Last edited:

kyoryoko

Awards
It'd be interesting to hear Mat (or anyone, really) discuss the rationale, mechanisms, and his experimenting with inducing muscle auto****y (auto-fay-gee, correct spelling is apparently censored). From what I understand, it's basically protein fasting to promote internal housecleaning which preserves muscle mass and function. There's an abstract of a study on it here, which is summarized here. Both links are WFS.
Mat Lalonde is amazing, I listen to Robb Wolf and Chris Kresser just so I can hear what Mat has to say. He usually uses research, and not just one study, or a couple of studies, he goes through the whole field. Plus he doesn't limit himself to Paleo, crossfit, or many of those other guys who he is often bunched with. He is the real deal. If only he studied and presented on hypertrophy and getting mean and ripped... oh well I guess we have Layne Norton for that.

Robo_70

Awards
Top 10 tips for over 40s .. Would be a good show.
It's much harder to achieve once the hormones start to drop off!

brandonh4

Awards
I would love to hear a show on how to get best results with tanning, with summer coming and all....

ben61820

Awards
Great suggestions so far. I, too, would love to hear more about protein-fasting, and the associated auto****y. From Lalonde or anyone. Weekly, monthly, sporadicly, etc.
I'd love to hear an interview with someone who has made serious strength progress using a smith machine. I, like I assume many here, think they're BS and i use a barbell and a powerrack. however, I'd love to hear from someone who swears by it.

jim_slade

Awards
More about Vitamin D. More Mauro Di. Pasquale. More on glycation. Some Robert Lustig. And some more ranting.
Also I'd like to hear more of the metabolic issues discussed as they apply to aspiring superhumans as most experts seem to only think in terms of the average man or woman.

triceptor

Radio Host
Awards
  • Established
I would like to hear Dr.Mauro Di. Pasquale again. I know he was on the show years ago and I listened to that one. Really would like to hear him again.
He's on next week talking about some new research on DOMS!! I'm traveling this week so running some older shows as BEST OF episodes.. these are great shows worth listening to again if you never heard before..

triceptor

Radio Host
Awards
  • Established
lets have Dr. Michael Smith on to discuss the effects of mangosteen and sphaeranthus indicous on fat burning... VERY interesting article in this months life extension... and Dr. Smith is always entertaining and enlightening.
emailed him. Done!

triceptor

Radio Host
Awards
  • Established
Love this.. I'm on it! Politically correct censorship LOL can't say ***..... see!

triceptor

Radio Host
Awards
  • Established
More about Vitamin D. More Mauro Di. Pasquale. More on glycation. Some Robert Lustig. And some more ranting.
Also I'd like to hear more of the metabolic issues discussed as they apply to aspiring superhumans as most experts seem to only think in terms of the average man or woman.
I will get these done once back in the studio...

ben61820

Awards
How about a show, or at least half a show, about the front squat versus the back squat. I know we all know this pretty thoroughly, and there is a ton written about it but I'd still enjoy hearing a thorough discussion about it.
For me, after being backsquat-or-nothing kindaguy for a while, i decided to try fronts for a while just for variety and so i could talk more authoritatively. I have grown to love the front squat, too. Though i do of course admit that its not as great a general growth-promoter as the BS, simply due to the lower poundages. I can manage bodyweight for 5 x 3 working sets at the moment and now I'm going to go back to the BS cuz i wanna add maybe five more pounds bodyweight in the coming months. Anyhow, love to hear in on air and love to hear from the listeners herein the threads. -ben

Last edited:
GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
no suggestions, jus saying cool show. ive listened a couple of times, nice work :)

jim_slade

Awards
I know I mentioned this in an earlier post but I thought I should clarify my main question. I started taking Vit D3 after hearing you (Carl) say that you were taking (I think) 5000iu a day and then went on to riff on it's many benefits. I did a bit of research myself and was pretty convinced I should be taking a bucket full as I live in the north of England where it rains all the time and we never see the sun.
This was over a year ago, and I've not suffered any illness at all since taking the Vit D3. I am wondering about the relationship between D and calcium though as I understand that excess D can lead to calcium (which with the raw cream I drink I should have enough of) deposits on sites of bone injuries, and after 20 years of lifting and fighting I'm lumpy enough as it is.

Young JD

Awards
Maybe another show with Patrick Arnold always an interesting show

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I really gotta check out this show. Dr. Di Pasqual for certain.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Young JD

Awards
Or a show with Rick Collins or someone on supplement law

jim_slade

Awards
How about a show on programming training like the old time strongmen, obviously I'm think of Brooks Kubik as the guest expert too. As a specific question i'd like to know what sort of frequency is optimal for improvement and injury prevention. I've been following the Hepburn program for about a year now and I'm noticing that my joints aren't bearing up too well. So I was wondering how long an interval between training events (say the squat) can be before the adaptive benefit is lost, for example is squatting once per ten days as good as once per seven.

Charlie Hurka

Awards
How about a show featuring Louann Brizendine auther of the books The Female Brain and The Male Brain. I think that would be a very interesting show. Could even be a two parter. One show for the Female Brain and another for the Male Brain.

Young JD

Awards
I actually think the show with the author of the male Brain and the female brain would be a great show aswell

nunzie59

Recently we lost Serge Nubret as well as Tony Pandolfo. Both were known for their astetics. The bodybuilders and the powerlifters of the '70's were unique unto themselves and need to have a show for the, Carl. George Frenn, Mel Hennesy, Bill Kazmeir, Frank AND Christine Zane, even Johnny Kemper were all special people. By the way I used to train with John Kemper in Jersey City---which brings Denie Walter to mind. Don't forget Leon Brown.

woody48

woody48

Awards
i agree 40,50 and 60 yrs old

Top 10 tips for over 40s .. Would be a good show.
It's much harder to achieve once the hormones start to drop off!
do an old farts/baby boomer show!!!!

woody48

woody48

Awards
how about Romo. i am reading his book. should have good advice and stories

Young JD

Awards
I was thinking about the potential of natural pro hormones as health promoting products then wondered why the pharmaceutical industry would'nt pick them up and thought it might make a good show

Young JD

Awards
i got a show idea perhaps bring sen hatch on the show the man behind the dshea on the show with all the crazy ness going on in the supplment world it would be a good show

envibladez

envibladez

Awards
Would love to see Charles Poliquin come on and talk about Exactly what he does to get his client to lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time

Also Martin Berkhan from "leangains.com" he seems to be very well educated in intermittent fasting and fat loss/muscle growth and if you look at his client page the results speak for them selves

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
Big fan. I think a show devoted to keto would be cool. Also, for anti-aging, look up Aubrey de Grey. He would be a great guest speaker.

Norcal Mike

Norcal Mike

Awards
In my feverish sprint to listen to ALL past episodes I've found the following guests to be the most informative/entertaining and just can't hear enough from them:

Dr. Peter Rouse, Dr. Michael Smith, Brooks Kubik, Dr. Mauro DiPasquale, Prof. Dr. Andro, Mike Mahler, PJ Braun
Randy Roach, Eric Potratz, Ori Hofmekler, Anthony Roberts, Dr. John Crisler, Joshua Trentine, Chris Mason, Dr. Loren Cordain

One hit wonders: Layne Norton, Dan John, Robb Wolf, Dr. William Wong (these guys are all overdue for a return, IMO)

Don't fear having all these guys on again Carl, I'm sure they're all smart enough to provide fresh information. Thanks for hosting this great show.

paulioj101

Awards
Next Super Human Radio Guest

It would be great to get Dave Pulcinella back on the show just to hear what's going on with the Raising the Bar series, and if there have been any modifications to the 6 foods that work.

Another idol of mine is Ross Enamait from rosstraining.com, This ex boxer has posted numerous videos on youtube about how you can create your own strength training facility using inexpensive materials found at your the hardware store. An Extremely intelligent and dedicated individual who has re-written the rule book in home strength training.

Paul J

envibladez

envibladez

Awards
Alot of good suggestions on here!!!

However i dont think Carl is to "Active" in reading all our recommendations :(

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A show including HRT for women would be an added benefit to the SHR cataloge. We all hear the benefits, effects and hormone design and dosage for men. It would be interesting to get the same for females.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I want a radio show on how to keep your renal system healthy and if we should have any concerens as far as bodybuilding goes intaking so much protein and other dietary supplements.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Good topic suggestion.

Superhuman radio is like a commercial projection of all of my thoughts and theories about nutrition and exercise. I cant believe I didnt know about this until 2011. I will listen to all the back episodes that I possibly can. Debunks SO many rhetorical premises that are harped on and preached in undergrad exercise and health courses and in the media. I love that every guest is a proponent of evidence based peer reviewed research.

Every episode is extremely enlightening and my only suggestion is to keep this **** going Carl.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Oh and play some metal in between commercials! Pop dance garbage doesnt really accent the show too well :no:

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Id like to hear some expert opinions on male pattern baldness and the best way to combat it or at least deal with it besides shaving the head. I have thinning hair and i tried propecia and ALL my hair grew back thick within a year.. only thing was some impotency side effects- enough to make me kick the stuff to the curb. I would LOVE to have thick hair again but I just dont wanna deal with those sides. Please run a show on the latest research and alternative ways to get my mane back!

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
Hormone replacement and dealing with ignorant doc's who are otherwise good.

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
How about a show with Dr Squat or someone flom EliteFts.

Young JD

Awards
I was listen to an old show of yours on melatonin and wondering if u could do another show on it

Young JD

Awards
Preliminary Study of the Vasorelaxant Effects of (+)-Nantenine, an Alkaloid Isolated from Platycapnos spicata, in Rat Aorta
Francisco*Orallo, Alejandro*Fdez.*Alzueta
Departamento de Farmacología, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Abstract

In this work, the potential vasorelaxant activity of (+)-nantenine, an alkaloid isolated from Platycapnos spicata, was studied for the first time in rat aorta. (+)-Nantenine (3 - 30 μM) totally relaxed, in a concentration-dependent manner and with almost equal effectiveness, the contractions induced by noradrenaline (NA) or by a high KCl concentration (60 mM) in intact rat aortic rings. Mechanical removal of endothelium and/or pretreatment of aorta rings with glibenclamide (10 μM) or tetraethylammonium (TEA, 2 mM) did not significantly modify the vasorelaxant effects of this aporphine alkaloid. In the experiments in Ca2+-free medium, (+)-nantenine (10 μM) had no effect on caffeine-induced contractions. Furthermore, in the studies with radiolabelled Ca2+, (+)-nantenine (3 - 30 μM) did not modify the basal uptake of 45Ca2+ but decreased, in a concentration-dependent fashion, the influx of 45Ca2+ induced by NA and KCl in endothelium-containing and endothelium-denuded rat aortic rings. In addition, (+)-nantenine (3 - 30 μM) was ineffective to scavenge superoxide anion (O2-) radicals generated by the hypoxanthine (HX)-xanthine oxidase (XO) system and/or to inhibit XO activity. These results indicate that: a) the vasorelaxant effects of (+)-nantenine in rat aorta are due, at least in part, to a blockage of Ca2+ influx through transmembrane calcium channels, b) the activation of ATP-sensitive K+ channels (KATP) and large conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channels (KCa) present in smooth muscle cells, the presence (integrity) of endothelial system, an inhibitory action on XO enzymatic activity and/or O2- radicals scavenging properties are not involved in the vascular effects of (+)-nantenine in rat aorta described above. Just an interesting article I came across Thought a show about this compound or similar compounds might make a good show

trenbologna

Awards
Hey Carl,

I've been training my girlfriend more and more, and I liked the show you had with Alicia Fong on womens training strategies.
I would love to hear more from pro bikini chicks, or pro fitness girls, and learn more about their training first-hand.

Also, you used to have Matt Cahill as the supplement guru a while back. Now he's with DS sports, and there was that independent study on activate xtreme:

Clin Chim Acta. 2011 Oct 9;412(21-22):1999-2001. Epub 2011 Jul 12.
A novel case of a raised testosterone and LH in a young man.
McDonald TJ, Perry MH, Jones AG, Donohoe M, Salzmann MB, O'Connor J.
Source

Clinical Chemistry, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust, Exeter, UK.
Abstract

A 19 year old male attended his GP with a history of "fluid retention", lack of libido and erectile dysfunction. He was found to have a high serum testosterone, and a raised luteinising hormone. After further investigations, the patient admitted to taking a supplement called ActivaTe Xtreme, obtained from an internet source, to address his low libido. ActivaTe Xtreme contains active ingredients which increase serum testosterone levels by several independent mechanisms that are not associated with luteinising hormone suppression. Urine analyses for synthetic anabolic steroids were negative, and urinary testosterone, epitestosterone and other androgens were normal. This biochemical pattern is not the same as that seen with anabolic steroids (i.e. raised testosterone, suppressed luteinising hormone and abnormal urine steroid profile). The issue of self medication with performance enhancing compounds needs to be carefully considered in order to avoid expensive and invasive investigations, missing an underlying pathology or misdiagnosing a patient. This case also raises the spectre of yet another "performance enhancing" product that may cause difficulty for those trying to ensure that sport remains on a "hormonally" equal basis.

Copyright © 2011. Published by Elsevier B.V.

PMID:
[PubMed - in process]

Also they're finally getting around to releasing their new preworkout, which has been in the works for at least a year. I think it would be great to have him on.
I'd like to know more about the 'latest & greatest' supplements hitting the market (like ursolic acid from PA). Let's hear what's new and what's hot, that kinda stuff.

Sherm332

Awards
Hey Carl, I mentioned it on your Facebook page, but I think eating Paleo and working out on a budget would be a great idea for a show. Also supplements on a budget

britishhammer

Awards
I would be very interested in listening to a show on the benefits Hydrogen Peroxide therapy.

stephenlay

Awards
James Levine from the Mayo Clinic

Important researcher in the new field of inactivity studies. They can studied the effects of sitting and it ain't good.

bill2

Awards
hello carl.. i would very very interested on a show about bodybuilders adn non alchocholic fatty liver...i was resently diagnosed with this condition

though i m far from fat ( prety lean actually) and leading the bodybuilding lifestyle with ntrition and exercise..i have used AAS fpor the past 3 years moderately though..my hypatologist doesnt give an extract answer for what might caused this..he gave e the green light to eat as much protein as i want but keep an eye on sugars and oo many carbs.keeping my healthy fats high..
so a show about this condition . nutrition whith this condition? what macros? and what about AAS? what compounds would be safe to use and how much? in what duration? what about ancilaries?