Training while on Antibiotics (Azithromycin)

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently about 95% recovered from a bronchial infection, for which I was perscribed the antibiotic Azithromycin (known as a Z-Pack). Although this antibiotic is effective in what it does, it also hinders protein synthesis. Today is my last day dosing the antibiotic, but the half life will be in my system for another 5 days starting tommarow.

What I'm wondering is this: should I be training while it is still present in my system? I'm wary about the thought of training, breaking down the muscle, and not being able to properly recover.

My second part is this: I was planning on running a cycle (this one light, Dermacrine+MMV2) as soon as I was 100%. I'm considering beginning now, to counteract the decreased protein synthesis that the Azithromycin is causing, and getting right back at it TODAY. I know I'm ready to train - it's just the half life of this antibiotic that is causing me to think twice.

I do want to say though that I could not find the strength to so speak of Azithromycin's affinity to hinder protein synthesis. From random articles I've gathered online, it does so, but it could be negligable. Any input is appreciated. Times like these EAT AT ME! Lightest I've been in over 6 years... looked at the scale this morning with quite the suprise.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
bizuurmp

Any chem majors out there that would say starting my cycle tommarow is a no-go? Doctor told me the Z-Pack will be in the system for another 5 days. IMPATIENCE! IT'S TRUE

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Bro, just take it easy and wait the 5 days (don't start the cycle yet). That time delay is nothing compared to what might go wrong. Would hate to see you get off on the wrong foot. And you don't know the Rx interaction w/the other supps you're planning on taking.

I'd think it would be ok for you to do light workouts. Remember, you can always ask your MD for his/her advice (recommended of course). Just because you are asymptomatic for the infection doesn't mean you're cured. Finish the entire Rx as Dr's orders. If (s)he didn't say anything about working out or exercise, I'd assume it would be ok if you feel "ok".

-Papa!-

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
Antibiotics do interfere with the absortion of any oral medication...hence why chics taking birth control must be careful when they are on antibiotics...

holy

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So are we talking a diagnosis of "Bronchitis"? The majority of bronchitis infections are "viral" in nature to begin with. Antibiotics are prescribed in a profilactic fashion the majority of the time in case it's of bacterial origin.

Your body has a lot more to lose when fighting an infection and losing, than taking the antibiotic at times though. If you think you're losing muscle taking the abx, i'll tell you this.....you're losing WAY MORE if you don't get the infection under control to begin with.

Zithromax is 5 days total(not catastrophic even though it's half life is more pronouced in 10 total days effect), and gets the job done. This process was developed to help prevent antibiotic resistance through poor compliance. In other words, don't underestimate the benefits you're potentialy receiving.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies all... definitly going to hold out as any further setbacks would absolutely send me BONKERS.

Trauma... the doctor I saw diagnosed it as a "bronchial infection". I'm not sure of the difference between a broncial infection and actual bronchitis. I was also told that it may have been walking pneumonia, but no chest xrays were done at the time. He explained to me that the perscription of Azithromycin (250mg daily x 5 days) would be the same if that were the case.

Definitly grateful to get this stuff... haven't been this sick in years, and I can't recall the last time I used any sort of antibiotic. Personally don't touch the stuff unless it's absolutely a must. Just a few days into dosage I began to notice the symptoms going away. Definitly seems like a powerful drug.

Do you know how much it impacts muscular repair? I finished the dosage today, so I have 5 more days of it in my system... I want to train, but if its hurting more than helping in terms of getting back to where I was, I'll wait out the 5. What do you think?
And just to throw this out there - I went for just a small jog yesterday, first in about a week and a half, and 4 days into the Azithromycin dosage. Today I feel abormally sore. For some reason I've developed a mental image of this drug severly hampering muscle repair and recovery... I don't know if its true or not however.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the replies all... definitly going to hold out as any further setbacks would absolutely send me BONKERS.

Trauma... the doctor I saw diagnosed it as a "bronchial infection". I'm not sure of the difference between a broncial infection and actual bronchitis. I was also told that it may have been walking pneumonia, but no chest xrays were done at the time. He explained to me that the perscription of Azithromycin (250mg daily x 5 days) would be the same if that were the case.

Definitly grateful to get this stuff... haven't been this sick in years, and I can't recall the last time I used any sort of antibiotic. Personally don't touch the stuff unless it's absolutely a must. Just a few days into dosage I began to notice the symptoms going away. Definitly seems like a powerful drug.

Do you know how much it impacts muscular repair? I finished the dosage today, so I have 5 more days of it in my system... I want to train, but if its hurting more than helping in terms of getting back to where I was, I'll wait out the 5. What do you think?
And just to throw this out there - I went for just a small jog yesterday, first in about a week and a half, and 4 days into the Azithromycin dosage. Today I feel abormally sore. For some reason I've developed a mental image of this drug severly hampering muscle repair and recovery... I don't know if its true or not however.
Yeah, so bascially he diagnosed you with "Bronchitis."

Take you antibiotics bro and get well soon. Make sure you are eating well and keep your fluid intake high. Don't stress on the muscle loss issues so much. If you dont' recover from the illness, your losses will be much greater. That is a fact

Just a thought. Try Gut Health with your training regime to reduce the incidences of systemic illness. It has worked wonders for many already at preventing typical illness states. :)

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Good to go, thanks. Ironically, I started taking Gut Health when I started the antibiotic to counteract the digestive sides that some have experienced. Will definintly continue to take it for as long as I can.

If there was one benefit from not eating so much lately... it would be related to minimizing the legendary gut health farts! Last time, those farts actually brought tears to my eyes... powerful!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good to go, thanks. Ironically, I started taking Gut Health when I started the antibiotic to counteract the digestive sides that some have experienced. Will definintly continue to take it for as long as I can.

If there was one benefit from not eating so much lately... it would be related to minimizing the legendary gut health farts! Last time, those farts actually brought tears to my eyes... powerful!
I see someone has read the Gut Health sticky thread. :)

Antibiotics kill not only the bad/pathogenic bacteria, but also the good. Much of this happens within your intestinal bacterial flora. So essentially, if that good bacteria isn't replaced, G.I. issues may ensue due to an unstable environment. This is particularily bad for those with pre-existing health issues such as IBS, Crohn's, and Ulcerative colitis.

Taking Gut Health can restore that "Good" bacteria while continuing to provide all the resulting benefits from its use.

During that first week of the loading period, flatulence can increase for a short time period. That's due to Gut Health starting to take ground and win the war within your gut! :)

Best of luck buddy, and keep us updated.