Steroid Myths

bigred869

Awards
  • Established
1.) Do steroids really make your head bigger? I know it might happen to some guys, but most of my buddies and myself probably have heads that look small proportionate to our bodies. If this is true, what is the science behind it generally?

2.) I know this one has been battled back and forth since the dark ages, but is everyone who juices all of a sudden prone to MPB? I mean, look at Arnold when he was in movies - he had a full set of hair.

3.) Is it really bad for your heart or is that just for guys who pop steroids like skittles? Word has been going around the local gym that one guy died 35 years old from a heart-attack and apparently he only had a few years of steroid use in his early 20's.

Rabidpanda25

Rabidpanda25

Awards
1.) Do steroids really make your head bigger? I know it might happen to some guys, but most of my buddies and myself probably have heads that look small proportionate to our bodies. If this is true, what is the science behind it generally?

2.) I know this one has been battled back and forth since the dark ages, but is everyone who juices all of a sudden prone to MPB? I mean, look at Arnold when he was in movies - he had a full set of hair.

3.) Is it really bad for your heart or is that just for guys who pop steroids like skittles? Word has been going around the local gym that one guy died 35 years old from a heart-attack and apparently he only had a few years of steroid use in his early 20's.
These questions kinda make me laugh. It took me a second to realize that you re serious. Anyhow, its kinda tough to make a blanket statement about all things classified as AAS doing one thing or not doing another. But one thing I'm pretty sure is that steroids do not enlarge your head lol. As for the other subjects, google anabolic steroids, there's a plethora of informational articles out there regarding steroids, there side effects, and spefically the information you re looking for.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I believe it has been shown that Phera Plex and its clones DO enlarge the heart. There may be other steroids that do also. High blood pressure, which can be a side effect of AAS usage can cause an enlarged heart, so I sure wouldn't rule out #3.

pdigs

1.) it doesnt enlarge the head, it enlarges the forehead and cranial ridge sometimes
2.) if u are going to be bald, that is already predetermined. the steroid use will only speed up the process
3.) they do enlarge the heart overtime... anything with high blood pressure will

12STEP

Awards
  • Established
look at how many professional wrestlers died of heart attacks. its growth hormone that give you a big head. look up acromayalgy sorry cant spell

FcuktheFDA

Banned
Awards
What about the other myths, such as:

Permanent shrinking of the penis and testicles.

"Roid rage."

Steroids causing people to lose their minds, becoming violent, and murder others.

Permanently killing your libido.

Permanently causing you to become infertile.

Those are some of the other myths that I have heard about. Just thought I'd mention them.

asswhole3

Awards

"Roid rage."

Steroids causing people to lose their minds, becoming violent, and murder others.

Those are some of the other myths that I have heard about. Just thought I'd mention them.

myths?

pdigs

"Roid rage."

-it doesnt cause the penis to shrink, it causes the testes to shrink. but it comes back when u get off them
-anything elevating testosterone can give u "roid rage" an exaggerated word for "irritability"
-steroids can cause u to be more irritable causing a shorter temper... murdering somebody? maybe in a spur of the momment fight, but not premeditated.
-permanent loss of libido and infertility is the closest to true out of the myths u listed... after prolonged use. ur hormones arnt ment to be constantly fuked with, doing so is a toss up... its medical uncharted territory

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
#1 false

#2 true to a certain degree

#3 true. Heavy A.A.S. usage enlarges the heart.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
1.) Do steroids really make your head bigger?
:toofunny: :aargh:
:fool2: :hammer:
:frustrate: :icon_lol:

Nothing sudden about it - unless you're already facing declining hormone levels; however, yes: generally speaking, exogenous hormones & hormonal tinkering make one susceptible to hair loss; HOWEVER - Male Pattern Baldness is a genetic thing of its own. Androgen-related hair-loss is NOT the same (though you might not actually care much for the distinction, if it happens to you).

Has anyone mentioned Post-Cycle Therapy to you?

The heart is a muscle; any muscle that's worked hard enough the right way WILL grow. That means the heart will grow, if you make it work hard enough the right way. What's "the right way"? I dunno, but I imagine steroids could help create the conditions, but then, so can meth.

I had a girl friend in high school that fell in w/ "a bad crowd" & started doing meth: she died 6 months later as a result of an enlarged heart. Did she have a congenital defect? Could be; could be that a genetic defect is necessary to provide the basic potential, and that chemical abuse seals the deal.

Does this mean "steroids are bad for your heart"? No. being stupid is bad for your heart - and bad for everything else, too.

dkkon1

dkkon1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well with responsible use, most of these things don't really come into play...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
RE: heart.

The enlargement is probably a results of 2 things:

1. You are taking steroids and the heart is a muscle. It works all the time. If it didn't you'd be dead. The steroids are not selective in the androgen receptors they hit.

2. As you get larger, it taxes your heart more to get that blood to your larger physique/body, so it works harder. This combined with steroid use is a recipe for an enlarged heart.

Most people who use steroids probably use clenbuterol which is touted for causing necrosis of the heart cells. This only mitigates the problem.

And of course your HDL/LDL levels shift in a bad direction.

I'm sure most IFBB pros have hearts the size of watermelons.

To each his own.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I believe it has been shown that Phera Plex and its clones DO enlarge the heart. There may be other steroids that do also. High blood pressure, which can be a side effect of AAS usage can cause an enlarged heart, so I sure wouldn't rule out #3.

androgen usage will cause an increase in the heart muscle. This is not limited to only madol.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established

"Roid rage."

Abuse of steroids, heavy cycles, and not enough time off can induce permanent hypogonadism.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
I am sure i am going to repeat what some others have said but here goes:

1. no, steroids can enlarge the brow ridges and the jaw line, largely due to enlargement of the underlying muscles but "big head" is largely reserved for GH use.
2. Some are more prone to MPB than others, but if you use strong enough androgens for long enough period of time, you will lose some hair.
3. Steroids are inherently cardiotoxic. Even worse, the hypertensive effect and the negative effects on blood lipids is a potential recipe for disaster. There is not too much you can do about the cardiotoxicity but if you control the associated hypertension and lipid alterations, you can significantly improve your chances/.

bigred869

Awards
  • Established
...but if you control the associated hypertension and lipid alterations, you can significantly improve your chances/.
How can you do that?

Also, I would think that regular cardiovascular exercise would help since doctors say it's good for regulating blood pressure...

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
How can you do that?

Also, I would think that regular cardiovascular exercise would help since doctors say it's good for regulating blood pressure...
You can do that by eating cleanly and taking accessory medications where necessary and by reducing the doses and even cutting cycles short if the hypertension/cholesterol, get out of control. Your health is more important than your gains.

bigred869

Awards
  • Established
You can do that by eating cleanly and taking accessory medications where necessary and by reducing the doses and even cutting cycles short if the hypertension/cholesterol, get out of control. Your health is more important than your gains.

So if I were to waltz into a clinic, what should I tell the doc if I want to get things like this checked? And should it be done pre, during, or post cycle?

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
So if I were to waltz into a clinic, what should I tell the doc if I want to get things like this checked? And should it be done pre, during, or post cycle?
Tell him/her you'd like a full blood panel to check for cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL (high density lipoproteins - the "good cholesterol"), LDL (low density lipoproteins - the "bad cholesterol") and liver enzyme levels (if you've been taking orals - though it's not a bad idea to have checked from time to time anyway, especially with high protein intake.)

The above blood tests are very common and are good indicators of cardiovascular health.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
unless you have good insurance, expect a full blood panel to cost you substantial money.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
some recent research has indicated that increasing the HDL in humans did not decrease the mortality rate.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Wasn't there a sticky that addressed all this and which had research links as well? If not, one should definitely be on the table.

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Whooaaa....I'm thinking of trying my first ever cycle (havoc) in 2 months....been researching it for years....I'll be ready every step of the way, try to do everything right..... but this thread has me kind of freaked.

I don't want to do permanent damage to my heart from one cycle.....maybe it's not worth it.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Whooaaa....I'm thinking of trying my first ever cycle (havoc) in 2 months....been researching it for years....I'll be ready every step of the way, try to do everything right..... but this thread has me kind of freaked.

I don't want to do permanent damage to my heart from one cycle.....maybe it's not worth it.

if only I got a dollar from every person who was scared about health effects but did a cycle anyway, lol.

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
if only I got a dollar from every person who was scared about health effects but did a cycle anyway, lol.
ha ha....I bet. I won't lie, I still might do it.....just worth very careful consideration. Maybe I'd be fine long term.....I just worry about all the idiots who run cycle after cycle without proper nutrition, cycle support, PCT, etc..... wow, the health industry is gonna have some issues in the coming decades

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
ha ha....I bet. I won't lie, I still might do it.....just worth very careful consideration. Maybe I'd be fine long term.....I just worry about all the idiots who run cycle after cycle without proper nutrition, cycle support, PCT, etc..... wow, the health industry is gonna have some issues in the coming decades
Whatever issues those are, they're likely already here. It's not like steroids are a secret or this is the first generation to use them without knowledge of how to properly do so to limit risks.

erokyrwrld

erokyrwrld

Awards

1. Steroids do not cause any permanent increase in the size of your head. Water retention and muscle growth from steroids may cause your face to become more full. Growth hormone (not a steroid) has been shown to cause acromelagy, a condition where bones may continue growing, especially those of the chin and cranial ridge.

2. Susceptibility to MPB is genetic. If you are susceptible, you will lose your hair quickly from the DHT increase of steroids. If you are not prone, you may lose some hair due to the DHT increase, but very little, similar to what 99% of most men will lose over their lifetime anyways. No man has the same head of hair in his 20's as he does in his 60's, with or without being prone to MPB. Plenty of users still have full heads of hair despite years of use - including me. Still, the addition of 1mg of propecia daily will dramatically decrease the likelihood of DHT related baldness (and protect your prostate from DHT as well).

3. Steroids will not cause your heart to grow, it is made up of cardiac muscle and steroids only affect skeletal muscle. However, steroids increase blood pressure and cholesterol. Other ancillaries such as anti-e's cause additional cholesterol. Throw that in with a **** diet and you have some heart issues awaiting an otherwise healthy looking person. Get your blood tested regularly.

erokyrwrld

erokyrwrld

Awards

"Roid rage."

Testicles shrink during steroid use as they are not required to produce testosterone, so they atrophy. This is not permanent and can be restored quickly with some proper HCG use along with a well-thought out PCT. There is no decrease in penis size. Indeed, sometimes it gets bigger as the extra test in your body causes a higher level of arousal which may lead to a bigger erection.

Steroids may cause high blood pressure which in many people makes them aggressive and angry. Roid rage has never been scientifically proven. However, you put an ******* on steroids, and guess what, he's still an *******, but then people blame the steroids.

Steroids have never been proven to cause any psychological issues of which you are describing. We have over 3 million users in this country alone, and we have three killings in 5 years in which the murderer was a known steroid user. (Titus, Benoit, Jacobs). The percentage of murderers in the non-steroid using population is significantly higher. Suck on that FOX News.

Libido - this is a possibility. Your body will never lose its ability to produce its own testosterone, but severe steroid abuse over many years can hamper it significantly. Lower natural testosterone = lower libido. Many long time abusers are on HRT for life (and guess what, not a single one of them is complaining about it). BTW this happens quite frequently in the non-using population as well - its called getting old.

There is no evidence that steroids lead to permanent sterility. Sperm count is certainly reduced on-cycle, but it almost always successfully restored post-cycle.