Is there such a thing as an androgenic steroid?

Glen

Awards
Are there steroids that give mainly androgenic effects rather than anabolic? Will 17AA anabolics give these effects to a great degre, or do they go away? Can ZMA or tribulus influence androgenic effects (like making you shave more often) or will only hormones do this? BTW I'm 22. If this is in the wrong forum or not appropriate, PM or emil me where I can find the answer to this. Thanks.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
First off, all steroids have both an androgenic and an anabolic function, just different ratios for each. The 17AA modification does not determine the androgenic component, it is there to prevent first-pass metabolism by the liver.
With that said, I believe Halotestin is a very androgenic oral steroid with low anabolic properties. Tribulus might also but to a MUCH lesser degree than any PH or Steroid.

ManBeast

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tren is extremely androgenic. The most androgenic is methylated tren.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
My bad, thanks for clearing that up bobo.

ManBeast

Glen

Awards
Thanks for the replies, I did some research and halotestin is very risky and apparently tren doesn't exist anymore.

For those of you who have taken steroids, do the safer ones (primarily anabolic) generally give you a deeper voice, more hair, more defined jaw, etc (androgenic characteristics) to SOME degree and does it last? Every big guy I see in the gym has these characteristics. Or is this something that happens (ossibly to a lesser degree) when you put on muscle regardless of steroids? Will you start to shave more often, etc? I know this is an odd question and probably hasn't been asked before. Thanks in advance.

BMZ

Awards
YEAH I was gonna say that, where did he get that TREN is not around anymore...? tren is still around alot of bros use tren

captainbicept

Awards
hes propbably thinking of the original parabolin which is not around anymore

BMZ

Awards
probably so, I would recommend this bro do ALOT of research........

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He might of meant methylated tren too which is only available by one underground lab.

Atavis

Awards
No reason to look for the most androgenic. Test should do a very good job of masculinizing ANYONE.

It is also the cheapest steroid you can buy.

2 birds....1 stone.

neurotic

Awards
Tren is extremely androgenic. The most androgenic is methylated tren.
I thought that tren's anabolic:androgenic ratio was about 2:1 as opposed to 1:1 for test... That would make test more androgenic than tren, don't you think?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope. Test is androgenic but not to the extent of Tren. Test had the ability to aromatize combined with it androgenic properties and thats why its a much better mass builder.

Plus those raitios are in terms of their own properties, not the properties of other compounds. I could have a ratio of 10:1 but that 1 could still be higher than some other compunds androgenic/anabolic activity.

"In fact, in veterinary cycles the androgenic hypertrophy is regarded as the strongest of any steroid, which is why instead of using aromatizing compounds to enhance mass in cattle, they now inject them with products like Revalor-S, which contains trenbolone and estradiol, to make up for the lack of estrogenic mass accrual." BC

neurotic

Awards
Could you provide me with a study that shows tren is more androgenic than testosterone?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pharmacological and endocrinological studies on anabolic agents.

Neumann F.

When used in connection with animal production the term "anabolic agents" covers a wide range. Ther steroidal male and female sex hormones are included in this list, as are the nonsteroidal estrogens. For the clinician and for the endocrinologist, anabolics are only steroids chemically related to testosterone and 19-nortestosterone. Estrogens, though possessing anabolic properties, too, do not belong to this class. This paper will deal with anabolic agents in in the stricter sense of which mainly trenbolone acetate combined with hexestrol has been recommended for bull and heifer fattening. To consider possible consumer injury from ingestion of meat from anabolic agent treated animals, it is necessary to know the pharmacological properties of the agents, the doses producing certain effects or might produce, and the levels of residues in the meat. Trenbolone acetate will be compared with the following anabolic agents: methenolone acetate, methandrostenolone, nandrone, androstanazole, and 19-nortestosterone. The activity spectrum of trenbolone acetate is similar to that of 19-nortestosterone or those anabolics that are derived from 19-nortestosterone. The compound has about three times stronger androgenic effect than testosterone propionate. Its index of dissociation between anabolic/androgenic activity is 2--3. This index is 3--10 for the other anabolic agents. As regards the virilizing potency, trenbolone acetate is also on the top of the list. It seems that androgenicity and degree of virilization run paralle. The antigonadotropic activity (inhibition of ovulation and testicular growth) of trenbolone acetate exceeds that of testosterone propionate by the factor 3. The compound is not estrogenic and seemingly not or only weakly progestationally active. In principle, the androgenic activity (symptoms of virilization) as well as the antigonadotropic effect (disturbances of the menstrual cycle in women, inhibition of spermiogenesis in men) of trenbolone acetate might be noted. This risk, however, can be excluded by mere calculation. In rats, 0.1 mg/kg trenbolone acetate have an antigonadotropic effect. This corresponds to a daily dose of 5--7 mg in humans. By the same extrapolation, a daily human dose of 100 mg can be calculated for androgenic activity. Such factors of conversion are, of course, not precise because rats are much less sensitive to androgens and anabolics than humans. Thus, testosterone propionate is active only in daily doses of 10--20 mg. If in humans trenbolone acetate also has three times the activity of testosterone propionate, effects in man had to be counted with not less than a daily intake of 3--5 mg trenbolone acetate. The dose which is recommended for livestock fattening is 300 mg. IT can, therefore, be excluded almost with certainty that the meat would contain such large amounts of hormone residues.

Another thing to consider is that most of Test androgenic capabilities is from DHT. DHT levels rarely ever stay elevated above supraphysiological levels and the majority is converted to 5-alpha-androstan-3alpha,17beta-diol (3-Alpha). Other wise DHT which is extremely androgenic would be used much more.

Is that any better?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
LOL, man Bobo doesn't even say anything unless it can be backed up by Pubmed! :D :D

zwarrior99

Awards
Are you doing this for facial hair? If you are OMG HAHAHAHHAA!! Ok now that I laughed you should try some rogain on the face. You think it doesnt work, well neither did I, and the science didnt prove it but it worked very well on my friend. Also some Tren + Test will do wonders also.

Glen

Awards
Are you doing this for facial hair? If you are OMG HAHAHAHHAA!! Ok now that I laughed you should try some rogain on the face. You think it doesnt work, well neither did I, and the science didnt prove it but it worked very well on my friend. Also some Tren + Test will do wonders also.
No, that would be retarded because I keep myself clean shaven. But, I would like to have a deeper voice, look more "masculine" and have more test in general. Who wouldn't? I look too young for my age and would like to look older and more masculine. Also, the 10-15 lbs of muscle wouldn't hurt either. I don't want to completely change who I am, just (relatively) safely enhance what I have.

Atavis, thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. When you say test do you mean 1-test or just any real steroid (including the safer ones)?

Cosmos, BMZ, capt bicept, and Bobo: I got the info from this source:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/cgi-bin/perlfect/search/search.pl?q=tren&showurl=http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/undercover2.htm

As for starting a cycle, I'm definitely not ready yet for a lot of reasons (not close to genetic potential, age, not enough knowledge) but I'm starting the research now. I started with this question because I haven't seen it discussed anywhere.

Thanks to everyone that replied, this info is much appreciated.

neurotic

Awards
The activity spectrum of trenbolone acetate is similar to that of 19-nortestosterone or those anabolics that are derived from 19-nortestosterone. The compound has about three times stronger androgenic effect than testosterone propionate
It's 3 times as androgenic mg per mg, but couldn't it be as well x times more anabolic mg per mg thus having a better anabolic:androgenic ratio?

Last edited:
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No. It doesn't aromatize. Its effect on hypertrophy is mediated through the androgenic receptor and increasing of satellite cell sensitivity to IGF-1.

r00tz

Awards
Halostein, or my personal favorite, better then LifeSavers,

cheque drops.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whats Halostein? :D If you mean Halotestin its not as androgenic as tren. It actually has moderate binding to the androgen receptor.

And methyltren is more androgenic than cheque drops (if you can actually find them).

nsruffryder34

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was looking through the VIDA text a few weeks ago at my library, and let me just say, some of the steroids that can be brought out (underground or OTC) would make tren look like androdione. Now of course this is jsut waht it looks like on paper, It could turn out to be ****, but I dont think all of them would. Some of these steroids, technically could be brought out as supplements, as they would basically fall nto the same category of 1test, and only one is a controlled substance in one state. I am going to look at the text more clearly when I get back, or hopefully I can find myself a copy of the VIDA book (not likely).

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I have one at my University library that I might *ahem* borrow for a while :D

nsruffryder34

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Haha...Well if you "borrow it" and would like to let me borrow it, I will pay a good price for it. My library wont let me take it out. Not to mention ti is in horrible condition. I am stuck photocopying 100pages of info.
Some of the compounds are rather intersting, and once i look at them in more detail, i may have to contact China and place an order :)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I saw Brock and Pat wanting a copy too :D

nsruffryder34

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Everyone wants one.... Hopefully I can find one somewhere. 1 interesting compund I saw either in the Vida or another book (cant remember as I glanced through a few older texts) was a substance that was very similar to trenbolone (not the new Finagenx product) that had some nice info on it. I believe it may have been a hydroxy which may prove rather interesting.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like I'm going to the library on my lunch break tomorrow :D

Anything else thats a good read? I'm in the heart of chemical country and my library was funded directly by Dupont (its 20 minutes away)

nsruffryder34

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yep, try 'Steroids' (2nd ed. - 1967) by Louis F. Fieser and Mary Fieser ,
Total Synthesis of Steroids (Hardcover Textbook, 1974) by Anil C. Ghosh, Gordon C. Wolf, Robert T. Blickenstaff,
Hormonal Steroids (Hardcover, 1971)

that should give you some good reading...... I have a few still at my house, I get bills from the library every once and a while, one day they're going to show up at my house.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got em!

Also found

Biochemistry of steroid hormones / edited by H.L.J. Makin.
Edition 2nd ed.

Published Oxford ; Boston : Blackwell Scientific Publications ; St. Louis, Mo. : Blackwell Mosby Book Distributors, 1984

THere were some others also but truthfullt when you do a search with anything related to steroids, androgens, etc...the lists are huge.

nsruffryder34

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Damn, I wish my library had all this ****. I have only seen some of them. Your lucky bro :)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We have one of best Chemistry Programs in the country. We can thank DuPont for that. Its another reason why I never was a Chemistry major here. Its hard as hell. One of my good firneds graduated here with a degree in Chemical Engineering and the govt immediately hired him. I remember looking at his texts, then I would thank god I didn't have to do his work :D

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
OK. I can't believe nobody said Proviron.
Proviron is androgenic with NO anabolic properties.

neurotic

Awards
Its index of dissociation between anabolic/androgenic activity is 2--3.
Bobo,

as you can see that same study you posted implies that tren is not as androgenic as test, for it has an anabolic/androgenic ratio of 2-3/1. It's more androgenic mg per mg, but for a given anabolic effect you get less androgenic effects out of tren as you can see. To me that makes tren 2-3 times safer androgenically speaking.

comrade

Awards
worked for bart simpson

x_muscle

Awards
  • Established
bobo

do u have the complete name of text and auther of Vidas book. maybe i can find it in my library

ckbuddha

Awards
x muscle,

it is "Androgens and Anabolic Agents: Chemistry and Pharmacology", by Julius A. Vida,
Academic Press, 1969

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bobo,

as you can see that same study you posted implies that tren is not as androgenic as test, for it has an anabolic/androgenic ratio of 2-3/1. It's more androgenic mg per mg, but for a given anabolic effect you get less androgenic effects out of tren as you can see. To me that makes tren 2-3 times safer androgenically speaking.
Then go take it and them come and tell me that. Like I said a million times, you rely on ratios WAY too much. I suggest you take the things you claim are more anabolic and/or more androgenic then come back and tell me.

neurotic

Awards
Then go take it and them come and tell me that. Like I said a million times, you rely on ratios WAY too much. I suggest you take the things you claim are more anabolic and/or more androgenic then come back and tell me.
It was you who relied on that study in the first place in order to state that tren was more androgenic than test... but you overlooked the fact that in that study it's also stated that it's much more anabolic, hence my quotation of its ratio.
There's a thread at CEM where we discuss whether or not tren is more androgenic than test (first I also thought it was more androgenic). As Jboldman said... It would be interesting if you took a look at this thread:

http://www.cuttingedgemuscle.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8755&highlight=tren+ratio

I know I rely on ratios too much, but now tell me what you rely on to make such statement, anecdotal evidence? Sorry, that's not enough for me.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anecdotal evidence? Yeah thousands of users is anectdotal evidence. Its better than you who rely on books alone when you've never even used any of this and only seem to try to find PH's that will give you the saem effect. You debate ratios like they are the end all fo stories when you've never even TAKEN ANYTHING! You sit there and presume to preach to me with ZERO experience. I relied on that study to show that mg to mg it IS more androgenic. I wasn't concerned about how anabolic it was. People don't even understnad how tren exerts in anabolic properties. SOme say its IGF-1, soms say its FGF but NOBODY KNOWS! I get up and piuss like 5 times a night on tren. I shed more hair on tren and I get more acne on tren than I do test. Plenty of people experience that same side effects but your going to sit there and tell me its not as andorgenic because of the enlargment of rat prostate wasn't as big in the Rat Levator Assay?

If its not enough for you then do what I've told you to do a million times to get your conclusion. TRY IT! But then that would be anectdotal eviddnce in the end right? Your name suits you well. You seem to disagree with everyone all the time because some rat levator assay tellls you a different story. If that was the case people would be gaining lbs of muscle on CLENBUTEROL!

neurotic

Awards
I get up and piuss like 5 times a night on tren. I shed more hair on tren and I get more acne on tren than I do test. Plenty of people experience that same side effects
And if you read the thread I told you from CEM you will just realize that many people also get more prostate issues out of test than out of tren, RealGains himself had his PSA checked both on test and tren and it was definetely worse on test. I'd really like you replied that thread at CEM, I think this would be much more interesting if you debate it with more knowledgeable people than me such as some CEM moderators.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hold up, you criticize me when I use my own personal experiences then tell me to go read someones else experience? I don't doubt their opinion as they have used it but I also know plenty of people that have had prostate and hair problems on tren much worse than Test. Nobody said test wasn't androgenic. You seem to jump to these huge conclusions from very little data or one other persons experience.

I did read the thread and Jboldman's conclusion was that the way you can judge is for yourself is through prostate and urine effects. In that case then tren is definetly more "androgenic" that test for me. I don't get that much acne or increased urine from test. I don't even use tren now because the side effects were too much for me. It works well but the negatives for me outweight the positives (that and 10x more expensive).

I've read that thread before and the conclusion was less than "conclusive". THe problem is that there are very few studies that show exactly how tren works and to what effects they have. The only way you can make a determination is from the ratios which are based on prostate enlargment in rats.

As you said in that thread:

"What about the studies that arrived at the conclusion that tren's anabolic/androgenic ratio was 2/3 relying on ventral PROSTATE and seminal vesicles weight? "

That is the rat levator assay. Thats how the Vida numvers are calculated. Its a guideline at best but in no way does that make it conclusive in humans. Its very far from it as Clenbuterol shows.

neurotic

Awards
"What about the studies that arrived at the conclusion that tren's anabolic/androgenic ratio was 2/3 relying on ventral PROSTATE and seminal vesicles weight? "
It was a mistake on my part on that thread to state that tren's anabolic/androgenic ratio was 2/3. As I described later in that same thread I misunderstood the 2--3 in that study, which didn't mean a ratio of 2/3 (which would mean tren's more androgenic than anabolic) but a ratio of 2-3/1, which is 2-3 times more anabolic than androgenic.
You are right in that these numbers are just a guideline and we should have much more studies in order to assess correctly the androgenity of steroids, specially as far as hairloss is concerned.
By the way, I've got a question for you:
What do you think it's more androgenic for a given anabolic effect, 4-diol or 1-test??? What about 4-diol+PROSCAR vs 1-test?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was a mistake on my part on that thread to state that tren's anabolic/androgenic ratio was 2/3. As I described later in that same thread I misunderstood the 2--3 in that study, which didn't mean a ratio of 2/3 (which would mean tren's more androgenic than anabolic) but a ratio of 2-3/1, which is 2-3 times more anabolic than androgenic.
You are right in that these numbers are just a guideline and we should have much more studies in order to assess correctly the androgenity of steroids, specially as far as hairloss is concerned.
By the way, I've got a question for you:
What do you think it's more androgenic for a given anabolic effect, 4-diol or 1-test??? What about 4-diol+PROSCAR vs 1-test?
For me, 1-test seemed more androgenic (as far as hair and prostate) for the amount of gains I got. I didn't experience much androgenic effects from M1T though. Those side effects were mostly cramps and increased BP. I thought I would get more androgenic effects form M1T since theoretically it metabolizes into 17 mehtyl DHT. I never really had much androgenic effects from 4-diol but I only used it twice. THe major effect of 4-diol in me was the bloat but I'm pretty sensitive to estrogenic effects. I did get a little acne but nothing bad at all. I hardly notices it. As for PROSCAR I couldn't tell you....

Milo Hobgoblin

Awards

The andogenic/anabolic properties of AAS are determined by modifications made to rings one and two and rarely 3. Modifications made to ring 4 generally are those specific to half life and protection (alkylation... or esterification)

All AAS have andro/anabolic properties.

Generally speaking something that is very anabolic.. will not produce a lot of side effects... but on the other hand... will provide almost no lean mass gain.

i.e Anavar (oxandrolone) taken alone yields little/no side effects. But other than a semi decent hardening effect... sure as hell isnt gonna put much weight or muscle on you.

On the other hand... most highly Androgenic drugs are ALSO VERY Anabolic...

Your best bet is to use compounds that are highly androgenic/anabolic and not too hard on the liver... while using something such as liquidex to minimize the Androgenic sides.

neurotic3

Awards
All AAS have andro/anabolic properties.

Generally speaking something that is very anabolic.. will not produce a lot of side effects... but on the other hand... will provide almost no lean mass gain.
That's a nonsense statement, since something is given the label "anabolic" due to its ability to produce lean mass gains. Anabolic = lean mass. Androgenic = SNC stimulation + hardening + side effects + strenght.

On the other hand... most highly Androgenic drugs are ALSO VERY Anabolic...
Test and tren come to mind. But take test along with a strong 5AR blocker such as finasteride and you'll be left with about the same anabolic potency but with much less androgenity.

Your best bet is to use compounds that are highly androgenic/anabolic and not too hard on the liver... while using something such as liquidex to minimize the Androgenic sides.
I always thought that liquidex was an aromatase blocker, not a 5AR blocker, perhaps I was wrong though...

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
You were right about liquidex, I think people are msiunderstanding the androgenic anabolic ratio, it is a ratio comparing the androgenic and anabolic effects of the same compound, it does not compare the compound to anything else, it is useful to us only in that it alllows us to see with some modicum of simplicity the nature of the side effcts one can expect. It is not useful in determinig a drugs complex actions nor is it really useful in comparing a drug to other drugs. Unless I am misreadig the textbook from my biochemistry course.

neurotic3

Awards
I know Vida's ratios aren't very realible. However, what I told you in my last message was a completely different issue, because you said "Generally speaking something that is very anabolic.. will not produce a lot of side effects... but on the other hand... will provide almost no lean mass gain" ... and it's obvious it's nonsense to say that something regarded as anabolic will not give you lean mass gains, because "being anabolic" is precisely "giving gains", no more, no less.

comrade

Awards
what type of training program do you think those tren rats follow?
I trying to work on my levator ani..

jazzy

Awards
From Patrick Arnold.

Found this on the Meso-rx website(www.mesomorphosis.com)

Pat arnold says that there are quite a few lost steroids....
some of them were too androgenic to have a favourable
A/A ratio. Others had good A/A ratio's but were probably too
expensive to produce.

There r three sections listed....The big, the bad...& the UGLY !:eek:

Here is the link...

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/arnold/steroid-development.htm

The very first steroid is...4-chloro-11-keto-17alpha-methyl-testosterone.

I guess this is same as oral-turinabol.