Adipose (fat) cells are capable of regulating androgen action.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
This may seem confusing to some, but the interesting part here is that fat cells in the body can actually inactive the steroids and prevent them from breaking down adipose.

Androgens and body fat distribution

Karine Blouin1, a, Ariane Boivina and André Tchernof2, Corresponding Author Contact Information, a, E-mail The Corresponding Author

aMolecular Endocrinology and Oncology Research Center, Laval University Medical Research Center, 2705 Laurier Blvd. (T3-67), Québec, Que, Canada G1V 4G2

Available online 7 September 2007.

Abstract

An important sex difference in body fat distribution is generally observed. Men are usually characterized by the android type of obesity, with accumulation of fat in the abdominal region, whereas women often display the gynoid type of obesity, with a greater proportion of their body fat in the gluteal-femoral region. Accordingly, the amount of fat located inside the abdominal cavity (intra-abdominal or visceral adipose tissue) is twice as high in men compared to women. This sex difference has been shown to explain a major portion of the differing metabolic profiles and cardiovascular disease risk in men and women. Association studies have shown that circulating androgens are negatively associated with intra-abdominal fat accumulation in men, which explains an important portion of the link between low androgens and features of the metabolic syndrome. In women, the low circulating sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) levels found in abdominal obesity may indirectly indicate that elevated free androgens are related to increased visceral fat accumulation. However, data on non SHBG-bound and total androgens are not unanimous and difficult to interpret for total androgens. These studies focusing on plasma levels of sex hormones indirectly suggest that androgens may alter adipose tissue mass in a depot-specific manner. This could occur through site-specific modulation of preadipocyte proliferation and/or differentiation as well as lipid synthesis and/or lipolysis in mature adipocytes. Recent results on the effects of androgens in cultured adipocytes and adipose tissue have been inconsistent, but may indicate decreased adipogenesis and increased lipolysis upon androgen treatment. Finally, adipose tissue has been shown to express several steroidogenic and steroid-inactivating enzymes. Their mere presence in fat indirectly supports the notion of a highly complex enzymatic system modulating steroid action on a local basis. Recent data obtained in both men and women suggest that enzymes from the aldoketoreductase 1C family are very active and may be important modulators of androgen action in adipose tissue.

nephilim666

nephilim666

Awards
  • Established
wow dam thats new to me. it makes sense as you see men with huge bellies and not as fat everything else, but in older men. so basicly as androgen presence decreases abdominal fat deposits build up..

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
wow dam thats new to me. it makes sense as you see men with huge bellies and not as fat everything else, but in older men. so basicly as androgen presence decreases abdominal fat deposits build up..
Yeah the craziest thing is how the adipose tissue can actually deactivate the androgen. Damn little bastard adipose cells!

nephilim666

nephilim666

Awards
  • Established
wouldnt that be just perpetuating the problem making fat people fatter? thats interesting too because that would technicaly lead to other problems and cause more harm then people would realise. low hormone levels can cuase tons of problems that most fat people probably have and dont know why.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Not news, really - it's been known for some time that adipose tissues excrete aromatase, and that VAT is THE big culprit. Converting androgens to estrogens is a very effective way of "deactivating" them, indeed.

The more i learn, the more convinced I become that estrogen control is *at least* as important as test augmentation.

nephilim666

nephilim666

Awards
  • Established
yea that explains fat gains on heavy bulking cycles, and while AI's are used that fat gain is minimal. this is waht i have found from years of cycling. bloat will bring fat, and during pct fat can accumulate easyly.

UKStrength

yea that explains fat gains on heavy bulking cycles, and while AI's are used that fat gain is minimal. this is waht i have found from years of cycling. bloat will bring fat, and during pct fat can accumulate easyly.
So if this was true then perhaps using a steroidal inhibitor (adex) on cycle and a non-steroidal inhibitor (aromasin) during PCT is the best course of action?

Or couldn't one just start out at a low percentage body fat before starting a cycle? How little adipose tissue is needed for the aromatising effects to be diminished?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Not news, really - it's been known for some time that adipose tissues excrete aromatase, and that VAT is THE big culprit. Converting androgens to estrogens is a very effective way of "deactivating" them, indeed.

The more i learn, the more convinced I become that estrogen control is *at least* as important as test augmentation.
Yeah except the full article says it has a greater action than just aromatase. I don't really feel like getting hit with the mod stick though for copyright infringement or I would post it :D.

nephilim666

nephilim666

Awards
  • Established
could you PM me it? im extremely interested in this because during my off season bulking i tend to accumulate more fat on PCT then i do during the freakin cycles i do and i cycle long and with high doses with serious bulking intended.