A big nasty boil- sign of infection or allergic reaction?

qwatson

Awards
I am on a cycle of test e. About 4 days ago I thought I was getting an infection because the leg where I injected was hurting and I was sick and had a fever. It had been over a week since my last injection so I knew it had been long enough for an infection to develop. So I started taking some cephalexin. In hindsight I don’t think I was getting an infection, I think I had a little bit of test flu or just a normal sickness, and the pain in my leg was just sore from a previous workout or something. There was no swelling or redness at the injection site, it wasn’t hot to the touch, there was nothing visibly wrong.

So I was convinced that I had overreacted, but yesterday I noticed a big red pimply looking thing on my butt (sorry for the visual.) I don’t do glute injections, so that’s not the issue. It looks kind of like a boil or something; this is not a typical occurrence for me. So I’m wondering if maybe I do have an infection, a systemic one that caused the boil. Anybody know if it’s possible to get a systemic infection from an injection without experiencing major symptoms at the injection site? Or could the boil be an allergic reaction to the cephalexin?

RoboGiblets

RoboGiblets

Awards
Maybe it's just a nasty zit from test? Don't take my word for it, but all I'm going to say is I have a nasty ****ing pimple on my quad and I'm 5 weeks into a test cycle. It just comes with the territory sometimes.

nephilim666

nephilim666

Awards
  • Established
trust me man u would KNOW if it was an abscess because it wud ****ing HURT. those big red nasty zits and hurt when u press down on them and have no visible whiteheads are common with hormone fluctuations. test for some reason really doesnt cause me to break out that badly but during pct is when i tend to get the big nastys

qwatson

Awards
Yeah it might just be a pimple from the test. My leg is what is worrying me the most. It's hurting again. I don't think it's pain from working out, I haven't been working my legs that hard. It's been 2 weeks since the shot, so hopefully if I was going to get something bad it would have happened by now. Still no visible symptoms.

Good to know that abscess is one of those things where if you've got it you'll know it, I don't want something dangerous to sneak up on me. Maybe it's a sterile abscess. Do sterile abscesses have visible symptoms or is that just something you feel?

Also, I think I might have grazed a nerve during the injection because my muscle was twitching a little, so maybe it's related to that. But if that was the case it seems like I would have been feeling it since the injection, I just started noticing the pain a few days ago.

Oh well I guess I shouldn't worry too much. If it gets bad I won't hesitate to see the doctor. I appreciate your guys' help.

SOLARUS

Awards
  • Established
SOME TEST JUST HURTS...CAN TAKE DAYS OR EVEN WEEKS BEFORE IT'S 100% GONE.

IF THE BOIL IS SOLITARY, IT'S PROBABLY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT

sorry about the caps - didnt notice til it was written :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am on a cycle of test e. About 4 days ago I thought I was getting an infection because the leg where I injected was hurting and I was sick and had a fever. It had been over a week since my last injection so I knew it had been long enough for an infection to develop. So I started taking some cephalexin. In hindsight I don’t think I was getting an infection, I think I had a little bit of test flu or just a normal sickness, and the pain in my leg was just sore from a previous workout or something. There was no swelling or redness at the injection site, it wasn’t hot to the touch, there was nothing visibly wrong.

So I was convinced that I had overreacted, but yesterday I noticed a big red pimply looking thing on my butt (sorry for the visual.) I don’t do glute injections, so that’s not the issue. It looks kind of like a boil or something; this is not a typical occurrence for me. So I’m wondering if maybe I do have an infection, a systemic one that caused the boil. Anybody know if it’s possible to get a systemic infection from an injection without experiencing major symptoms at the injection site? Or could the boil be an allergic reaction to the cephalexin?
A true allergic reaction from an oral cephalosporin antibiotic(keflex) as with any antibiotic will cause systemic symptoms such as urticaria(hives), pruritis(itching), angioedema(swelling around the eyes and lips), and dyspnea(difficulty breathing.) A systemic illness(sepsis) can most certainly result from an untreated cellulitis.

If you continue to note a fever with an obvious abscess/boil get in to see your primary physician. How big is this "pimple" on your butt? If it is fairly large, painful and you have a fever the odds are you've probably developed an abscess. Cephalexin(keflex)has good coverage for many skin infections, but not all. Sometimes an irrigation and drainage with packing is needed along with more potent antibiotics such as clindamycin for complicated abscess development. Cultures are done to determine the bacterial cause, and antibiotics are adjusted as need be.

I'm in no way saying that's the issue, just giving you an example of possible situations. Again if this continues, get in to see you primary doctor.

SOLARUS

Awards
  • Established
If it is fairly large, painful and you have a fever the odds are you've probably developed an abscess.
since when do people get injection-site abcesses in places they havent injected??

:wave:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
since when do people get injection-site abcesses in places they havent injected??

:wave:
You don't have to inject anything to get an abscess anywhere on your body. I see it ALL the time. The most common result of abscess development is poor hygeine.

qwatson

Awards
A true allergic reaction from an oral cephalosporin antibiotic(keflex) as with any antibiotic will cause systemic symptoms such as urticaria(hives), pruritis(itching), angioedema(swelling around the eyes and lips), and dyspnea(difficulty breathing.) A systemic illness(sepsis) can most certainly result from an untreated cellulitis.

If you continue to note a fever with an obvious abscess/boil get in to see your primary physician. How big is this "pimple" on your butt? If it is fairly large, painful and you have a fever the odds are you've probably developed an abscess. Cephalexin(keflex)has good coverage for many skin infections, but not all. Sometimes an irrigation and drainage with packing is needed along with more potent antibiotics such as clindamycin for complicated abscess development. Cultures are done to determine the bacterial cause, and antibiotics are adjusted as need be.

I'm in no way saying that's the issue, just giving you an example of possible situations. Again if this continues, get in to see you primary doctor.
Thanks for the info, I definately won't take any chances. I don't think I still have a fever. Can fever come and go if you have an abscess or will it pretty much stay with you for the duration? Also, if the injection site isn't swollen or hot to the touch is it still possible to have an abscess or infection? My leg doesn't look any different I'm just experiencing some pain that comes and goes. But it's not excrutiating. I'd say the boil/pimple on my butt is a little smaller than the fingernail on my pinky.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the info, I definately won't take any chances. I don't think I still have a fever. Can fever come and go if you have an abscess or will it pretty much stay with you for the duration? Also, if the injection site isn't swollen or hot to the touch is it still possible to have an abscess or infection? My leg doesn't look any different I'm just experiencing some pain that comes and goes. But it's not excrutiating. I'd say the boil/pimple on my butt is a little smaller than the fingernail on my pinky.
Fevers can come and go with infection. I would just watch it at this point and if doesn't get any better, or gets worse, get in to see your dr. If you don't have a painful lump at the injection site you're fine.

qwatson

Awards
Thanks man, I really do appreciate it. So far there's no lump at the injection site. If things get bad I'll go to the doc, better safe than sorry. If I did have to go, could I just play dumb or would he be able to tell that there's oil in there and I must have injected myself with something? I guess I could use the B-12 excuse.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks man, I really do appreciate it. So far there's no lump at the injection site. If things get bad I'll go to the doc, better safe than sorry. If I did have to go, could I just play dumb or would he be able to tell that there's oil in there and I must have injected myself with something? I guess I could use the B-12 excuse.
Honestly most don't care to begin with how it got there. It could happen very easily outside an injection based abscess. Good luck man.

SOLARUS

Awards
  • Established
You don't have to inject anything to get an abscess anywhere on your body. I see it ALL the time. The most common result of abscess development is poor hygeine.
you've officially blown my mind. i didnt know you could get a big ol infection on your skin from just not cleaning yourself...you'd have to be super inactive though right? a person who cleans themself and moves around alot isnt likely to get one without broken skin though...right?

i've heard of bedsores...that's a different thing?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:rolleyes:
you've officially blown my mind. i didnt know you could get a big ol infection on your skin from just not cleaning yourself...you'd have to be super inactive though right? a person who cleans themself and moves around alot isnt likely to get one without broken skin though...right?

i've heard of bedsores...that's a different thing?
Yeah, believe it......

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
Always be honest with your doctor. He is legally required to keep it confidential. You have to give him honest information for honest medical advice.

If you are nervous about sharing stuff like that with your doc, get a doc you can trust.