Oral Steroids: with oil or grapefruit juice?

grapefruit juice or oil with your oral steroids?

• grapefruit juice

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • some sort of oil, flax, omega, etc...

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • empty stomach

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
have read some interesting studies as well as some interesting feedback on taking oral steroids (superdrol most of the time) with grapefruit juice as well as with oils, on an empty stomac, supposedly it increases the amount of the drug your body absorbs, wondering what the consensus and all your experience is these days?

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
You may want to clarify your poll. If the steroid is 17aa, then there is no need to take it with anything (the 17aa is the absorption enhancement). If it's a non-17aa-methyl, then take it with healthy fats, as steroids are lipophilic (fat-soluble).

dirtydean12

dirtydean12

Awards
You may want to clarify your poll. If the steroid is 17aa, then there is no need to take it with anything (the 17aa is the absorption enhancement). If it's a non-17aa-methyl, then take it with healthy fats, as steroids are lipophilic (fat-soluble).
^^^yep...the grapefruit juice theory wasn't for absorption, but moreso to block the enzymes produced by the liver, giving more compound in the blood for a longer period of time

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
have read some interesting studies as well as some interesting feedback on taking oral steroids (superdrol most of the time) with grapefruit juice as well as with oils, on an empty stomac, supposedly it increases the amount of the drug your body absorbs, wondering what the consensus and all your experience is these days?
Yes a possible method of increasing oral availability might be through the inhibition of the CYP3A4 enzyme. Grapefruit is known to inhibit this enzyme. Note that all of the 17-alkylated anabolic steroids are virtually untouched by the CYP3A4 enzyme so grapefruit will have no effect on them. However absorption might be improved by grapefruit in unalkylated orals such as primobolan, testosterone undecanoate and many unalkylated prohormones such as Orastan.

There is a possibility that even a glass of grapefruit juice (GFJ) taken several hours before oral medication may enhance the bioavailability of many drugs, exaggerate the drug action, and increase the toxic effect by exaggerating the potency of the drug. This can be explained by inhibition of CYP3A4 in the small intestine by GFJ, thus suppressing drug metabolism. This interaction with GFJ is likely to occur mainly with those drugs that are metabolized by CYP3A4 and are associated with low bioavailability when given via an oral route. - INTERACTION BETWEEN GRAPEFRUIT JUICE AND DRUGS, Junichi AZUMA, Asian Med. J. 44(3): 136–141, 2001

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
...taking oral steroids... with oils...
Maybe...an alternative method (to metabolic breakdown in the liver) through which dietary fat is often absorbed into the body is via the intestine. If a substance can be made lipophilic (fat like) it may be absorbed in the same manner as dietary fat (i.e. absorbed into the lymphatic circulation, which bypasses the liver). If you make a steroid lipophilic enough by altering its structure and/or encapsulating/suspending it in oil, then it too may be absorbed into the lymphatic system where it can enter and circulate in the blood stream.

As an example, testosterone undecanoate (oral) does not have a 17-a-methyl group and is absorbed through the lymphatic system due to its high fat solubility brought about by the ester (added lipophilic side chain) and its oil suspension. In the past users of unmodified testosterone undecanoate improved absorption by taking it in peanut oil and with a meal.

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
good information bro! thanks, i had read in many places that taking M1T or superdrol with grapefruit juice was beneficial but i guess not....

do you think taking superdrol on an empty stomach with a handful of omega or flax oil gels would do anything?

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
good information bro! thanks, i had read in many places that taking M1T or superdrol with grapefruit juice was beneficial but i guess not....

do you think taking superdrol on an empty stomach with a handful of omega or flax oil gels would do anything?
Superdrol & M1T are both 17aa, so an empty stomach is best.

Maximum bioavailability with c-17aa orals is noted when taken on an empty stomach, not with food. Given their mildly lipid soluble nature, some of the steroid may wind up getting excreted with undigested dietary fat if taken with food.

A good read on the subject: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/65116-best-way-absorb.html

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
CONGRATULATIONS DATBTRUE and MASS 69 , very good posts with 100% correct information reps to both

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys! reps, that is EXACTLY why i love this board, not sure why that havoc post didn't show up when i searched, but that is the information i was looking for so thanks again guys.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Its been said that with something thats not methylated you want to just take it on an empty stomach to speed absorption.

With something non methylated and lipophilic (which most steroids and ph's are) you want to take it with a good amount of healthy fats.... or just fats period, but preferably healthy ones:D
This way more is absorbed through the intestines directly through the lyphatic systema nd straight into the bloodstream skipping first pass.... now you could take GFJ as well and then you may block some of the enzymes in the liver that can break down the compound that doesnt get absorbed lymphatically but this hasnt been proven if the same CYP3A4 enzyme blocked that increases some drugs absorption will do the same for steroids but at a nickel a glass wh not take it that way?

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh in addendum....

With certain compounds I think you should take into account carbohydrate intake as a requirement. Especially something like superdrol, not only by doing so will you increase glycogen storage and capitalize on strength gains possible with SD, not to mention the fact that without doing this many people will get hypo and lethargic. know your compound and you can have a KILLER cycle.

deluxe185

Awards
You can also take DHB, which is the same principals as grapefruit juice