can cortisone help speed recovery time?

MikeTheMan

Awards
I have developed tendonitis on my right shoulder while I was on cycle <too much weight+bad form>. Its been 3 weeks since ive lifted anything and have no pain doing daily tasks only if I start lifting again<specifically benching>. My dr recommended cortisone shots to treat the pain but I only want to get it if it will speed my recovery time since I dont have any serious pain to begin with.

I search the net and the information that I find is that cortisone reduces inflammation thus reducing pain caused by tedonitis, I have not found any facts that it actually helps aid in recovery. is there any evidence that this steroid can actually help speed recovery time from injury?
Mike

Last edited:
matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are there side effects?
Yes. Probably the most common side-effect is a 'cortisone flare,' a condition where the injected cortisone crystallizes and can cause a brief period of pain worse than before the shot. This usually lasts a day or two and is best treated by icing the injected area. Another common side-effect is whitening of the skin where the injection is given. This is only a concern in people with darker skin, and is not harmful, but patients should be aware of this.

Other side-effects of cortisone injections, although rare, can be quite serious. The most concerning is infection, especially if the injection is given into a joint. The best prevention is careful injection technique, with sterilization of the skin using iodine and/or alcohol. Also, patients with diabetes may have a transient increase in their blood sugar which they should watch for closely.

Because cortisone is a naturally occurring substance, true allergic responses to the injected substance do not occur. However, it is possible to be allergic to other aspects of the injection, most commonly the betadine many physicians use to sterilize the skin.

Will Cortisone shots aid in recovery time?
That is dependent on what the injury is. If it's to decrease the inflammation, that will help the injury to heal but not rapidly, rather shorten tenderness and swelling. It is just a case by case situation that you and your DR will have to discuss.

Regardless, Good Luck!

Stavross

Stavross

Board Supporter
Awards
I think the danger is that it reduces the pain so you think it's healed up and start training again too soon which can make the injury worse.

richirich_99

Awards
I've also heard that it will wear out your cartilage in your joints....dont know if there is any validity to this or not, just thought i would throw it out there.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's soley dependent on the use, location and strength of the steroid being injected. It may also play a factor if the injured person is already increasingly losing cartlidge thru lifestyle, injury or genetics. Last study I read there were only like 2 out of 58 or so that actually had cartlidge decrease after several localized shots.

I've also heard that it will wear out your cartilage in your joints....dont know if there is any validity to this or not, just thought i would throw it out there.

richirich_99

Awards
It's soley dependent on the use, location and strength of the steroid being injected. It may also play a factor if the injured person is already increasingly losing cartlidge thru lifestyle, injury or genetics. Last study I read there were only like 2 out of 58 or so that actually had cartlidge decrease after several localized shots.
Thanks for that info bro! I wasnt real sure about that, just heard about it.