Interesting RYR Article about Effectiveness

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Hi guys,

Found this interesting article on RYR (red yeast rice) that I know alot of us take to improve cholestrol values during and after a cycle:

There has been a lot of confusion out there about red yeast rice. Eight or ten years ago studies showed that this over-the-counter dietary supplement was quite effective at reducing cholesterol levels. However, that was because one of the "natural" ingredients turned out to be lovastatin, a statin drug marketed as Mevacor and Altocor. (Statins were originally derived from yeast products; the lovastatin in red yeast rice is "natural.") When the FDA found out that red yeast rice contained a regulated substance (i.e., an effective drug), it banned these products unless extra steps were taken to remove lovastatin.
The story of whether available red yeast rice products, over the last decade, actually have contained lovastatin is ridiculously complex and cryptic, but as recently as a few months ago the FDA thought that all such products finally had been made completely bereft of any whiff of lovastatin (and thus, of any efficacy.)

Yesterday, however, the FDA issued a warning to consumers and health care professionals: some red yeast rice products, in fact, still contain lovastatin. These, according to the FDA's bulletin, are "Red Yeast Rice and Red Yeast Rice/Policosonal Complex, sold by Swanson Healthcare Products, Inc. and manufactured by Nature’s Value Inc. and Kabco Inc., respectively; and Cholestrix, sold by Sunburst Biorganics." The FDA warns consumers to avoid these products.

There is little doubt that these products are at this moment being rapidly purged from your grocers' shelves. DrRich is passing this along as a public service to the nation, and to all those people who have been writing to ask me if I know of any red yeast rice products that still contain a statin. I can finally answer: Yes, but only for a very limited time.

If you want to reduce your cholesterol by taking a statin, but without losing your shirt to the big drug companies, ask your doctor about generic statin drugs. They're readily available, really only a bit more expensive than red yeast rice, and as a bonus the statin dosage (which is known, unlike with the "natural" product) can be controlled and adjusted to optimize your results. And think of all the gas you'll save by not having to drive to 20 - 30 stores to find the last few bottles of effective red yeast rice before the feds do.

FDA WARNING > HERE

Any thoughts Guys? Also reasearched another popular supplement "Policosanol" for Cholestrol lowering, and that too was found to have little effect on overal values when compared to placebo.
(sample of one of the studies on Policosanol : here )

:blink:

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
Don't know who to blame more...FDA or Big Pharma

Either way it's all about the $$ anymore.

I personally feel anything and everything natural should not be regulated or illegal.