Forget about B6?....

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
You be the judge.....

This was originally posted at steroid.com in regards to whether or not include B6 supplementation.

Hooker wrote:

Vitamin b6 isn't a great idea to include on a cycle. Elevated levels of b6 will inhibit androgen gene transcription levels by 30-45%. Gene Transcription is how steroids exert their effects. Therefore, if you elevate your b6 too high, you could be getting around a third less of the effects from the steroids you're taking.

Vitamin B6 modulates transcriptional activation by multiple members of the steroid hormone receptor superfamily.

Allgood VE,
Cidlowski JA.
Department of Physiology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599-7545.
Recent studies have shown that vitamin B6 modulates transcriptional activation by the human glucocorticoid receptor in HeLa S3 cells. We have now examined the possibility that vitamin B6 might similarly influence transcriptional activation by the glucocorticoid receptor in other cell types, as well as gene expression mediated by other members of the steroid hormone receptor superfamily. We show that elevated vitamin B6 concentrations suppress by 40-65% the level of transcription mediated through the endogenous murine L cell glucocorticoid receptor, as well as the human receptor transfected into E8.2 and T47D cells. In contrast, glucocorticoid receptor-mediated transcription was enhanced 60-110% in mild vitamin deficiency. The level of hormone-independent constitutive gene expression was not affected by these same alterations in vitamin B6 concentration. These studies indicated that the transcriptional modulatory effects of the vitamin were neither restricted to specific cell types nor limited to the human form of the glucocorticoid receptor. We next determined if hormone-induced transcription by several other steroid receptors (androgen, progesterone, and estrogen receptors) was analogously affected by alterations in vitamin B6 concentration. Analysis of gene expression mediated through the mouse mammary tumor virus promoter revealed that transcriptional activation of both the androgen and progesterone receptors was reduced by 35-40% under conditions of elevated vitamin B6 and enhanced by 60-90% in deficiency, again under conditions where constitutive expression was unaffected. Using a different promoter, the estrogen-regulated vitellogenin promoter, we found that transcriptional activation of the estrogen receptor was similarly affected. Estrogen-induced gene expression was reduced by 30% under conditions of elevated intracellular vitamin B6 and enhanced by 85% in vitamin deficiency. Thus, vitamin B6 modulates transcriptional activation by multiple classes of steroid hormone receptors. The similarities in vitamin B6 effects on transcription mediated through different promoters, the mouse mammary tumor virus and vitellogenin promoters, suggest that this vitamin may modulate the expression of a diverse array of hormonally responsive genes. These observations together support the hypothesis that vitamin B6 represents a physiological modulator of steroid hormone action.
PMID: 1310983 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

"Basically, a dose high enough to fight prolactin or progesterone is going to be high enough to inhibit androgen gene-transcription. I'd say you should keep it no higher than 50mgs, at most."

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
thats lame as fu*k i just picked up a bunch for my next cycle! is this the only study that has been done pertaining to this?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Interesting stuff. It's important to keep in mind that this is based on mouse gene models and not necessarily relevant to humans..especially one with elevated endogenous hormone levels.

I've experience decreased nipple puffiness when using even moderate doses of B6..but outside of that anecdote, I haven't tested my hormone levels before and after. Even if I did, it might not yield much if the B6 is acting on gene expression pathways.

Definitely worth paying attention to any new research that comes out in this area.