False positive for Sherk? What's your opinion?

ChuckBooty

ChuckBooty

Awards
Below is a letter from Nick Thompson regarding Shawn Sherk's positive test for steroids. I was wondering if there is any validity to the claims that a level of 12 could be indicative of a false positive.

You guys are the experts.....what do you think?

There are those of you who are going to believe that Sherk used steroids regardless of what he says or what happens with his appeals. This is not to you. I write this to those of you who will actually weigh the evidence and keep an open mind. I am a close teammate of Sherk and have never known him to use anything illegal. And after hearing his response to his positive drug test, I sincerely believe it to be a false positive.

Sherk trains harder than anyone I have ever met. He takes an ungodly amount of supplements and maintains a rigorous diet in order to train the way he does. The fact is, Sherk's level of nandralone was very low. Sherk tested at a 12. An athlete who uses nandralone should test between 40 and 80. So the only way Sherk could have used steroids and tested at 12 is if he was coming off of a cycle. In order to be coming off of a cycle, he would have had to of taken the steroids around the time he was having surgery on his shoulder � a time when he was not lifting or exercising whatsoever. Now you tell me what sense does it make that an athlete who lives a very strict lifestyle and has passed numerous drug tests in the past would go on a cycle at a time when he couldn't even exercise?

Moreover, increased exercise increases your nandralone levels naturally. And seeing how Sherk trains harder than anyone I have ever met, it makes sense that his levels would naturally be higher. On top of that, supplements can sometimes give false positives. Again, the fact that Sherk takes so many supplements is conducive to the idea that this is a false positive.

Sherk is appealing the drug test. I believe subsequent drug tests and testing of his supplements will prove that Sherk did not cheat. Sherk is someone who has dedicated his life to mma and has done it cleanly. I feel terrible for him that his reputation has been smeared through no wrong doing of his own. I ask that you consider all the facts and reserve judgment until that time.

Nick Thompson

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know the guy so I can't make a guess one way or another but an explanation to taking steroids while nursing an injury is an easy one to explain. to minimalize muscle loss and help recover quicker. However, that doesn't mean anything. He could be quite steroid free.

hardestgainer

hardestgainer

Awards
  • Established
dude, he obviously takes steroids, look at his physique. The majority of mma's take steroids. It's just a reality of the sport.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe they do but unless i'm missing something the pictures i've pulled off the net of him does not show anything I would say you couldn't aquire naturally.

size

Awards
  • Established
It is possible that he simply has oddly elevated levels. Sherk is certainly a genetically gifted individual who pushes his body as hard as possible. However, it does seem as though a possible scenario is that he used some compound to help aid in his recovery from his punishing workouts.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
Bull****, the highest most atheletes go is 2ng/dl, I'd even go on a limb to say 4-5ng is somehow possible naturally, not 12 though!!! If I was the lighweight champ and ****ed up my shoulder, damn right I would use anything I could find to help me heal. Nandrolone is great on joints, there is no coincidence here.

If you think it's possible to be ~180lbs at his height and be that lean naturally... You're a sucker. Sure 1 in ~50,000 could obtain a physique like that naturally, but you'd be a genetic freak. The fact that he finally confirmed what I knew all along, proves it. He tested + and needs to man up and admit it!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just because there are not a % of people walking around with that physique does not mean that it's because of steroid use. I'd be willing to bet that it's because most do not have the dedication and knowledge to combine a proper workout and nutrition to obtain that physique. Genetic freak? No, gifted perhaps but not a freak by any means. His unique gift is to have his ability tied in with his body.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I looked at his official website and his gallery section...Yes, that can be obtained naturally.(physique alone) Perhaps his weight training and MMA training could not be simultaniously accomplished without the use of some kind of hormone enhancer to reduce fatigue and muscle loss but to just look at his body and think he is taking steroids is rediculous.

Tiki le

Tiki le

Board Sponsor
Awards
Whether he is "Natural" or not, I am sick and ***king tired of hearing one athlete after another claim it must be the supplements. But... come on - 12??
Remember about 9 months ago when Merriman (sp?) was going to disclose the supplement he was taking that resulted in his false positive. Yeah... still waiting Sean!!!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Considering how the feds and everyone one else are jumping down people's throats i'd blame it on anything from supplements to an overuse of cherry flavored KY oil.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
He actually fights at 155lbs! LOL!
He fights in the 155lbs division, but he weighs around 180 when he gets in the ring.

He was SIX TIMES over the limit for nandrolone. Let's look at that on the common testosterone scale (yes I know, different hormone.) It's like me having 6000+ng/dl of testosterone claiming it got like that "naturally."

Last edited:

xxamplifyxx

Awards
to all those people who say it's impossible to get a physique like that your smokin you know what!......i wrestled at OSU (ohio state) for 4 years and my physique was close to that and there were guys on my team that looked almost identicall........ with a strick diest and supplement routine it is possible (not for everybody lol ) but it is possible.... to say that only a small percentage can do it is probably accurate.... if you took ever collegiate athlete at the top level regardless of sport you would still have a miniscule perecentage of the pop. so dont be so negative haha

hardestgainer

hardestgainer

Awards
  • Established
He actually fights at 155lbs! LOL!
lol, he doesn't weigh 155, lol. He walks around at 180 +. And there is no way with the amount of cardio he does that he can carry that much muscle without some "help"

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
to all those people who say it's impossible to get a physique like that your smokin you know what!......i wrestled at OSU (ohio state) for 4 years and my physique was close to that and there were guys on my team that looked almost identicall........ with a strick diest and supplement routine it is possible (not for everybody lol ) but it is possible.... to say that only a small percentage can do it is probably accurate.... if you took ever collegiate athlete at the top level regardless of sport you would still have a miniscule perecentage of the pop. so dont be so negative haha
I'm sorry dude, but it's bs. If you're not training for LBM, then you're not going to be big. Infact, MMA and that training routine is insanely catabolic.

I have no problem with Sherk using because I'm sure almost everyone does, but he IS using.

hardestgainer

hardestgainer

Awards
  • Established
let's see some pictures of this sherk like physique, lol. I highly doubt it is even close, and if it is, it isn't natural.

hardestgainer

hardestgainer

Awards
  • Established
I looked at his official website and his gallery section...Yes, that can be obtained naturally.(physique alone) Perhaps his weight training and MMA training could not be simultaniously accomplished without the use of some kind of hormone enhancer to reduce fatigue and muscle loss but to just look at his body and think he is taking steroids is rediculous.
dude, he's juicing, lol. No question at all in my mind. You can't train 5 hours a day and walk around with that much muscle naturally.

mightyconan

Awards
u guys have got to be kidding me. shawn sherk weighs what, a massive 155lbs, oops, wait, i forgot, he weighs 180 when hes not competing, get real guys. thats puny. downright puny. my leg weighs more than that, and ur thinking he does steroids to keep his massive bodyweight of 155-180lbs. i laugh at that so hard. are u guys just so small, that u think 155 lbs is huge. bhahahahahahah. to think u need steroids to attain a huge 155lbs or 180lb body, is down right laughable. u guys really need to get a grip on reality, sherk, sure hes a tough little guy, but hes a "little Man" i know guys, that just workout for fun, that are bigger than him. i know guys in 10 th grade that are bigger, maybe not as ripped, but bigger than him. and these are little high school guys.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
u guys have got to be kidding me. shawn sherk weighs what, a massive 155lbs, oops, wait, i forgot, he weighs 180 when hes not competing, get real guys. thats puny. downright puny. my leg weighs more than that, and ur thinking he does steroids to keep his massive bodyweight of 155-180lbs. i laugh at that so hard. are u guys just so small, that u think 155 lbs is huge. bhahahahahahah. to think u need steroids to attain a huge 155lbs or 180lb body, is down right laughable. u guys really need to get a grip on reality, sherk, sure hes a tough little guy, but hes a "little Man" i know guys, that just workout for fun, that are bigger than him. i know guys in 10 th grade that are bigger, maybe not as ripped, but bigger than him. and these are little high school guys.

He's 155 when he cuts all the water in his body. That's not how much he actually "weighs" though. If you cut all the water in your body, you'd lose 20-30 lb's also.

He's like 5'5 1/2. 5'5 1/2 @ 180 - 5% bodyfat is very big for his size. My friend is like 5'10 10% bodyfat, @ 180 and he looks decently big. Weight is all relative to size. Short guys can weigh less and look way bigger.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bull****, the highest most atheletes go is 2ng/dl, I'd even go on a limb to say 4-5ng is somehow possible naturally, not 12 though!!! If I was the lighweight champ and ****ed up my shoulder, damn right I would use anything I could find to help me heal. Nandrolone is great on joints, there is no coincidence here.

If you think it's possible to be ~180lbs at his height and be that lean naturally... You're a sucker. Sure 1 in ~50,000 could obtain a physique like that naturally, but you'd be a genetic freak. The fact that he finally confirmed what I knew all along, proves it. He tested + and needs to man up and admit it!
I thought the avg person walked around with ~ 1-2ng/dl of nandrolone and the testing allows for up to 6ng/dl in athletes...did I misread this somewhere?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
You are correct, STX. That is what i've read everywhere.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
I thought the avg person walked around with ~ 1-2ng/dl of nandrolone and the testing allows for up to 6ng/dl in athletes...did I misread this somewhere?
For the International Olympic Committee it's 2ng/dl. The average person walks around with 1/4 to 1/2 of that.

xxamplifyxx

Awards
hehe

let's see some pictures of this sherk like physique, lol. I highly doubt it is even close, and if it is, it isn't natural.
well lemme rephrase that haha.... by no means was i a sherk but i was in shape so i guess i'll concede defeat and say he was juicin lol.... i just looked over some pics on his site where as before i only went from memory . that being said.. on a side note i just got medically retired from the marine corp for injuries sutained in iraq , i am seriously considering a beginners cycle so if ya heppen to have any suggestions i am up for it. I am 6 foot... 185 and about 15 or so BF i am experienced in the gym and am lookin to bulk up. i have been a gym rat all my life from the time at ohio state through my years in the Corps so definatly not a newbie in the gym.
thanks for the feedback and everybody being nice (well mostly haha)
my discipline is not in question so any cycle hint would be strictly follow (post cycle and all)

-chris
usmc ret.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
As you hopefully know, your diet and training come first.. but..

300mg Test Enanthate 10 weeks
(Most say 500mg, but 300mg is PLEANTY)

HCG 250iu or 350iu twice a week whole time

PCT - Toremifene and/or Tamoxifen 4-6 weeks

You can split the test into 2 shots per week or 1. Have arimidex on hand incase estradiol gets too high.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
He fights in the 155lbs division, but he weighs around 180 when he gets in the ring.

He was SIX TIMES over the limit for nandrolone. Let's look at that on the common testosterone scale (yes I know, different hormone.) It's like me having 6000+ng/dl of testosterone claiming it got like that "naturally."
It would be 600ng/dL. And the IOC allows 2ng/ml not ng/dL, big difference there. So 200ng/dL is normal with some athletes and women showing up to 600ng/dL and Sherk tested in at 1200ng/dL.

Doesn't seem like such a low number after all does it? And The Goat wants to know how he could only be at 12? Perhaps Sherk isn't using a bulking dose that a typical bber would use. He's probably using it to maintain his size given his training regimen.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's even more funny than any of this is the fact that people expect to see top condition athletes giving them their money's worth with people having zero downtime and little to no recovery time for injuries...and they expect all this with no help.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
from the first time i saw sherk i was sure he was juicing. I have no doubt.

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
from the first time i saw sherk i was sure he was juicing. I have no doubt.
I WILL SECOND THAT... I KNOW HE IS NOT A HEAVY PERSON... BUT I HAVE SEEN HIM FIGHT MANY TIMES AND I AM ALWAYS BLOWN AWAY BY HIS PHSIQUE AND STRENGTH... FROM WHAT I HEAR HE TRAINS LIKE AN ANIMAL... BUT IM PRETTY SURE THE EVIDENCE OF HIS USE IS RIGHT THERE...

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
sigh not another one of these stupid tests

i dont hold it against him at all. im more mad at the testing division than anything else. would they prefer their fighters wear themselves down and compete at 10-20lbs lighter? doesnt sound too great for the business.

i wish they would stop these drug tests altogether. i am all for enhanced athletes.

ChuckBooty

ChuckBooty

Awards
sigh not another one of these stupid tests

i dont hold it against him at all. im more mad at the testing division than anything else. would they prefer their fighters wear themselves down and compete at 10-20lbs lighter? doesnt sound too great for the business.

i wish they would stop these drug tests altogether. i am all for enhanced athletes.
I agree....there needs to be blood tests though, to make sure everyone is cycling safe and not killing themselves.