Liver toxicity - steroids vs alcohol

Boris

Awards
I recently bought some Hemaguno (Epistane and Havoc weren't in stock) and am planning a pulsed cycle, having never used steroids before, though I have used supps such as JW, BAM and Diesel Test.

But to better appreciate what I'm getting into, I wondered if anyone has ever compared steroid liver toxicity with alcohol toxicity, just to give an intuitive idea of the damage being done. I've seen it said that pulsed Epi is mild on the liver and there's no need for liver support, but I'd like to get a better idea of how much stress the liver is being put under.

E.g. if you take 25mg of Hemaguno (it comes in 12.5mg caps), how many pints of beer is that like drinking? (here in the UK, our beer is served in pints, i.e. 568ml, and might typically be 4% strength)

I'm just wondering if it's like a high but not totally excessive intake, e.g. 25mg = 4 pints of beer, or if it's like a pretty crazy intake e.g. 25mg = 12 pints of beer.

I did do a search first, but didn't find anything that gives this sort of comparison.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I was actually wondering a similar question a few weeks ago... Methylated substances seem to negatively impact the liver in a specific manner, but how would that damage compare to the damage you would suffer from drinking to the point of blacking out? I mean there are many people who consistently wreck their livers and get hammered weekly.. just an interesting concept on how the two might compare to each other (a cycle of superdrol or epistane vs. weekly alcohol induced comas :cheers:)

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
This subject has been discussed many many times. Without getting scientific in breaking down which is worse for you, both are hard on the liver. My advice? If you're taking an oral compound, don't drink. Combining both will just be that much more worse on the liver. I have known people that take the harshest compounds there are AND binge drink every weekend and they were fine. Then again I've known people who have dont the same and ended up regreting it big time. the longest you're going to be running an oral compund is limited to several weeks anyway, so just take that time off of drinking. If you're going to use AS, get the most out of it by focusing on your diet and training, not partying and getting smashed.

superdrollover

superdrollover

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost:
This subject has been discussed many many times. Without getting scientific in breaking down which is worse for you, both are hard on the liver. My advice? If you're taking an oral compound, don't drink. Combining both will just be that much more worse on the liver. I have known people that take the harshest compounds there are AND binge drink every weekend and they were fine. Then again I've known people who have dont the same and ended up regreting it big time. the longest you're going to be running an oral compund is limited to several weeks anyway, so just take that time off of drinking. If you're going to use AS, get the most out of it by focusing on your diet and training, not partying and getting smashed.

Boris

Awards
Thanks for the replies so far. I have no intention of drinking alcohol at the same time as taking steroids, in fact I never drink alcohol anyway.

It was just to get a better idea of how much damage steroids do to your liver.

For example, drinking alcohol in fairly small amounts infrequently won't cause any long term damage at all, as I understand it, whereas persistent binge drinking will cause cirrhosis. I'm trying to work out if steroids just put the liver under short term strain that it can recover from, or if they cause a certain amount of irreparable cirrhosis and people see this as acceptable when deciding to take steroids.

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
For example, drinking alcohol in fairly small amounts infrequently won't cause any long term damage at all, as I understand it, whereas persistent binge drinking will cause cirrhosis. I'm trying to work out if steroids just put the liver under short term strain that it can recover from, or if they cause a certain amount of irreparable cirrhosis and people see this as acceptable when deciding to take steroids.
If taken in moderate dosages and not for long periods time, while taking proper liver care supps (I prefer milk thistle) you'll be fine, you're liver will repair.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I don't think the 2 subjects can be compared in term of liver damage. While both substances can and WILL damage the liver long term, oral compounds are methylated, and ethanol have ethyl groups so its possible that the liver damage mechanism is completely different.