ambroxol

jordan

Awards
a friend of mine recently was in mexico and he was looking to get some clenbuterol, but at the place he was at they only had 2 boxes left and by the time they got more in he would have left (I know he should have looked other places, but he's not the brightest). But instead of leaving empty handed he bought a few boxes of a drug called ambroxol. It was right next to the clenbuterol and clerk informed him that they were both used to help you breathe better. I've searched for it on the internet but the sites always come up in spanish and i can't interpret it. I have seen the two mentioned in the same site together but i don't know what to make of it. Basically i have two questions. Has anyone out there heard of this drug? If so, does it have the fat burning potential of clenbuterol?I could really use some feedback on this one. thanks

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Not sure, let's analyze some things about it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9659525&dopt=Abstract

Characterization of N-acetylcysteine and ambroxol in anti-oxidant therapy.

Gillissen A, Nowak D.

Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Bergmannsheil, Ruhr-University, Bochum, Germany.

Reactive free oxygen radicals are known to play an important role in the pathogenesis of various lung diseases such as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) or cystic fibrosis (CF). They can originate from endogenous processes or can be part of exogenous exposures (e.g. ozone, cigarette smoke, asbestos fibres). Consequently, therapeutic enhancement of anti-oxidant defence mechanisms in these lung disorders seems a rational approach. In this regard, N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) and ambroxol have both been frequently investigated. Because of its SH group, NAC scavenges H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide), .OH (hydroxol radical), and HOCl (hypochlorous acid). Furthermore, NAC can easily be deacetylated to cysteine, an important precursor of cellular glutathione synthesis, and thus stimulate the cellular glutathione system. This is most evident in pulmonary diseases characterized by low glutathione levels and high oxidant production by inflammatory cells (e.g. in IPF and ARDS). NAC is an effective drug in the treatment of paracetamol intoxication and may even be protective against side-effects of mutagenic agents. In addition NAC reduces cellular production of pro-inflammatory mediators (e.g. TNF-alpha, IL-1). Also, ambroxol [trans-4-(2-amino-3,5-dibromobenzylamino)-cyclohexane hydrochloride] scavenges oxidants (e.g. .OH, HOCl). Moreover, ambroxol reduces bronchial hyperreactivity, and it is known to stimulate cellular surfactant production. In addition, ambroxol has anti-inflammatory properties owing to its inhibitory effect on the production of cellular cytokines and arachidonic acid metabolites. For both substances effective anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory function has been validated when used in micromolar concentrations. These levels are attainable in vivo in humans. This paper gives an up-to-date overview about the current knowledge of the hypothesis that oxidant-induced cellular damage underlies the pathogenesis of many human pulmonary diseases, and it discusses the feasibility of anti-oxidant augmentation therapy to the lung by using NAC or ambroxol.

Publication Types:

• Review
  • Review, Academic

PMID: 9659525 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]http://www.advancesintherapy.com/k3n89vq1/1995/121054061.htm[/font]

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Volume 12 No.1
January/February 1995
Pgs. 54-61
[/font][font=verdana,helvetica]Clinical and Histologic Rating of Treatment With Acefyllinate of Ambroxol in Patients With Chronic Bronchitis[/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica]R. Cogo, M.D., S. Raschi, M.D., P. Quattrone, M.D., P. Zini[/font]

[font=verdana,helvetica]<B>ABSTRACT</B>[/font]

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial rated the safety and anti-inflammatory activity of treatment with acefyllinate of ambroxol in patients with stable chronic bronchitis. Twenty men with a forced expiratory volume in 1 second of 57% received active drug or placebo for 3 weeks. Anti-inflammatory efficacy was determined by means of specific clinical symptoms and histologic analysis of biopsy specimens obtained during bronchoscopy at the beginning and end of treatment. Patients treated with acefyllinate of ambroxol showed clear-cut improvement in all symptoms and reported no side effects. Histologic analysis was confirmatory: Statistically significant morphologic improvement versus placebo (P<.05) was noted in subsidence of inflammation, decrease in hyperplasia of the basal layer cells, and revival of the epithelium. Acefyllinate of ambroxol is an effective agent that can be used as basic monotherapy in the management of chronic bronchitis.[/font]

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]<B>Keywords: </B>chronic bronchitis; acefyllinate of ambroxol; anti-inflammatory activity; histologic rating[/font]

Still not sure exactly how this would be used to burn fat though.