Have you experienced polycythemia on cycle?

Do you experience symptoms of polycythemia on cycle?

• Yes, i usually do

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No, i never do

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Sometimes, it depends on the substance/amount

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Cant really say at this point

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I hear some symptoms referenced commonly, but recently I found a name for the condition, check it out.-

Polycythemia is a condition in which there is a net increase in the total number of red blood cells in the body. The overproduction of red blood cells may be due to a primary process in the bone marrow (a so-called myeloproliferative syndrome), or it may be a reaction to chronically low oxygen levels or, rarely, a malignancy.

Patients with polycythemia vera are often asymptomatic. A classic symptom of polycythemia vera is generalized itching, particularly after exposure to warm water, which may be due to abnormal histamine release[4][5] or prostaglandin production.[6] Such itching is present in approximately 40% of patients with polycythemia vera.[2] Gouty arthritis may be present in up to 20% of patients.[2] Peptic ulcer disease is also common in patients with polycythemia vera; the reasons for this are unclear, but may be related to an increased susceptibility to infection with the ulcer-causing bacterium H. pylori.[7]

A rare but classic symptom of polycythemia vera (and the related myeloproliferative disease essential thrombocythemia) is erythromelalgia.[8] This is a sudden, severe burning pain in the hands or feet, usually accompanied by a reddish or bluish coloration of the skin. Erythromelalgia is caused by an increased platelet count or increased platelet "stickiness", resulting in the formation of tiny blood clots in the vessels of the extremity; it responds rapidly to treatment with aspirin.[9][10]

Patients with polycythemia vera are prone to the development of blood clots (thrombosis). A major thrombotic complication (e.g. heart attack, stroke, deep venous thrombosis, or Budd-Chiari syndrome) may sometimes be the first symptom or indication that a person has polycythemia vera.

EQ gives me the constant itchies and the sharp hand pains (usually from overextending my arms). Id love to know what my hematocrit is.

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
Bleh, that does not sound fun. How long do you have to be on EQ before it sets in? I have taken 1,4ad in the past but only for a few weeks and never experienced that.

1,4 converts to bold (I assume you know this, but if not...)

m4gnum

m4gnum

Awards
****, I was itchy as hell on my superdrol cycle... I just kind of ignored it because I'd never heard of that symptom before. Warm water (shower) actually made it go away for a while, though.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bleh, that does not sound fun. How long do you have to be on EQ before it sets in? I have taken 1,4ad in the past but only for a few weeks and never experienced that.

1,4 converts to bold (I assume you know this, but if not...)

Id say between the 2nd and 3rd week i developed a constant redness/rash in certain areas. By a month-5 weeks i started getting the shooting pain in my hands, and my back as a matter of fact.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I usually only get itchiness in my acne prone areas..shoulders and back, though I have never run EQ.

Sounds like you should take some aspirin, JOMI.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
A transient increase in number of red blood cells while on an anabolic is not considered P. Vera.

P. Vera is a true disease treated by life long medical management. Just because your RBC's are elevated due to a know etiology does not constitue P. Vera.

I hear some symptoms referenced commonly, but recently I found a name for the condition, check it out.-

Polycythemia is a condition in which there is a net increase in the total number of red blood cells in the body. The overproduction of red blood cells may be due to a primary process in the bone marrow (a so-called myeloproliferative syndrome), or it may be a reaction to chronically low oxygen levels or, rarely, a malignancy.

Patients with polycythemia vera are often asymptomatic. A classic symptom of polycythemia vera is generalized itching, particularly after exposure to warm water, which may be due to abnormal histamine release[4][5] or prostaglandin production.[6] Such itching is present in approximately 40% of patients with polycythemia vera.[2] Gouty arthritis may be present in up to 20% of patients.[2] Peptic ulcer disease is also common in patients with polycythemia vera; the reasons for this are unclear, but may be related to an increased susceptibility to infection with the ulcer-causing bacterium H. pylori.[7]

A rare but classic symptom of polycythemia vera (and the related myeloproliferative disease essential thrombocythemia) is erythromelalgia.[8] This is a sudden, severe burning pain in the hands or feet, usually accompanied by a reddish or bluish coloration of the skin. Erythromelalgia is caused by an increased platelet count or increased platelet "stickiness", resulting in the formation of tiny blood clots in the vessels of the extremity; it responds rapidly to treatment with aspirin.[9][10]

Patients with polycythemia vera are prone to the development of blood clots (thrombosis). A major thrombotic complication (e.g. heart attack, stroke, deep venous thrombosis, or Budd-Chiari syndrome) may sometimes be the first symptom or indication that a person has polycythemia vera.

EQ gives me the constant itchies and the sharp hand pains (usually from overextending my arms). Id love to know what my hematocrit is.

Tom 185

Awards
  • Established
holy ****...yes...i never thought it had anything to do with anabolics though

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I've never experienced it... even on high Bold.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A transient increase in number of red blood cells while on an anabolic is not considered P. Vera.

P. Vera is a true disease treated by life long medical management. Just because your RBC's are elevated due to a know etiology does not constitue P. Vera.
"The overproduction of red blood cells may be due to a primary process in the bone marrow (a so-called myeloproliferative syndrome), or it may be a reaction to chronically low oxygen levels or, rarely, a malignancy."

Doesnt seem so, they mention two cases in this excerpt where it is clearly not a lifelong inherent disease, but required causation.

actually, i just noticed something else:
"Other causes of secondary polycythemia include smoking, renal or liver tumors, or heart or lung diseases that result in hypoxia. Endocrine abnormalities, prominently including pheochromocytoma and adrenal adenoma with Cushing's syndrome are also secondary causes. Athletes and bodybuilders who abuse anabolic steroids or erythropoietin may develop secondary polycythemia."

ok correction, SECONDARY polycythemia...

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Polycythemia simply means many cells - which is separate from the actual condition called ploycythemia vera - which is as you mentioned, a primary process in the bone marrow.

P. Vera IS a lifelong disease, while those induced by a causative agent can be treated, by removal of said agent.

Apples and oranges.

Cheers.

"The overproduction of red blood cells may be due to a primary process in the bone marrow (a so-called myeloproliferative syndrome), or it may be a reaction to chronically low oxygen levels or, rarely, a malignancy."

Doesnt seem so, they mention two cases in this excerpt where it is clearly not a lifelong inherent disease, but required causation.

actually, i just noticed something else:
"Other causes of secondary polycythemia include smoking, renal or liver tumors, or heart or lung diseases that result in hypoxia. Endocrine abnormalities, prominently including pheochromocytoma and adrenal adenoma with Cushing's syndrome are also secondary causes. Athletes and bodybuilders who abuse anabolic steroids or erythropoietin may develop secondary polycythemia."

ok correction, SECONDARY polycythemia...