Whats ur Favorite Acne Product for AAS Use?

Which Acne Product Worked Best For You?

• Vitamin B-5

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Accutane

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • ProActiv Solution

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
In General I guess, For A.A.S or Not

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Strong Glycolic Acid wash and treatment solutions along with Antibiotic therapy.

Proactive did nothing for me.

Accutane is good but it is a major undertaking and should not be used while on anything else that may stress the liver.

B-5 was ok.

Mr.50

Tom 185

Awards
  • Established
Benzaclin. (need prescription)

Accutane has some known and unknown long-term side effects...my dermo told me that b-5 is a joke...proactiv is good but expensive

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
40,000 iu's of Vitamin A per day...and sunlight.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Best thing i used was retin-a..not the micro type but the original....i think .01%

mattjw348

mattjw348

Awards
im on 500 mg 2x daily of erythromycin. it seems to be clearing up a little bit, but nowhere near as clear as i want.

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
do fish oils make a big difference for acne?

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Not for AAS caused acne but Accutane is king, I've tried anti-biotics, Retin-A, etc but only Accutane has had a significant effect. The mental side effects aren't to be tossed aside when considering use but it works.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dawn antibacterial dish soap. works like an absolute charm.

put it on the face, back, shoulders, and chest.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yup, i forget which board i read it on. its a bit of an old school tactic from what i understand, but i gave it a try and was pretty impressed with how well it worked.

i actually ran out and just kind of let things fly and within two weeks acne reared its ugly head on my shoulders and chest. needess to say i picked up a bottle asap and now its clearing up very nicely. its my standard acne prevention product

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
damn bro, thats awesome im gonna try it.. it prob just dries the **** out of em

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
jomi,

do you just put it on and wash it off like a regular wash or do you put it on and let it stay. Also how many times per day?

Mr.50

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I don't even think you need the "antibacterial" version of Dawn. As Jomi said..it's an old school tactic, but antibacterial detergents are a new thing.

stillinthegame

Awards
salicylic acid, at least 2%. The only otc product is clean&clear. The red one. check label for 2%. saturate cotton pad and press firmly on skin until you feel a slight burn. This shoul take a few minutes depending on how much acne you have. works like a charm, best stuff I've ever used and I've tried everything. peace

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I have to say, anti-bacterial products work a charm. They helped me greatly when I was in the horror stages of Accutane use.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established

What's in it that actually does most of the work? I would guess that it also depended on the type of acne and the cause of it?

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
in response to mr 50. i just lather everything up and let it sit for like 10 seconds, then wash it off. Be careful though, it has that Retin-a like delayed skin dry out effect if you use it enough.

and as for that last question, i have no friggin clue. i have used the non antibacterial version of dawn also...works about the same from what i can tell.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I got minimal results from all the otc stuff and from antibiotics.
I had never given tretinoin (retin-a) a real good shot (cuz the stuff I had initially was way too concentrated for practical human use.) But right before I signed the waivers to start accutane I happened to try mixing antibiotics WITH tretinoin. My derm said it was the best he'd seen my skin, so Im sticking with it for now. If it plateau's again, then he'll probably put me on isotretinoin (accutane).

My current regimen is as follows:
1) take my first dose of oral minocycline.

2) Wash skin w/ either benzole peroxide, nizoral, (or sometimes sallisylic acid, wich is my least favorite of the three).

3) I apply clyndamycin trans D and tretinoin cream to trouble spots.
If I can, I prefer to devide them up by a few hours for better absorption through the skin, but sometimes I'll use them at the same time if Im in a hurry.

4) I take my second dose of minocycline several hours later.

5) I rub in cetaphil moisturizer as needed. (Ussually in the middle of the night.) To deal with the dry itchy chaffing effects of the tret. I read that alot of people use it w/ accutane too. Another one I have but have yet to try is Aquaphor. I've read good things but have no first hand experience w/ it yet. This is important to me because choosing the proper moisturizer (so as not to exacerbate the problem your trying to combat) is an often neglected topic when discussing the use of tretinoin and isotretinoin.

I also take vitamin D, and vitamin b5, but im not sure if those really do anything for serious acne vulgaris cases. Those probably only work for minor cases or cases that part of the cause was a severe deficiency in those vitamins. Kinda like those weight loss supps that have nothing but vit's and min's in them. They wont do anything for someone who allready had a good diet and supp regimen.

lifthardheavy

Awards
Oral antibiotics are best. Safe, effective, and fast acting. Creams and lotions take too long to work and are mild. B5 is hit or miss. Accutane has a negative impact on lipids for some people, and that's bad when used with AS. Only catch with oral antiobiotics is they shouldn't be used for more than 4 weeks per year because you run the risk of developing resistance to them and they also destroy beneficial bacteria.

But outside of steroid use, creams/lotions are best because they are safest for long-term use

youngstunna50

youngstunna50

Awards
topical tretnoin gel is workin well combating my acne

Muscleaddict

Awards
Salicylic acid and nizoral shampoo. The nizoral worked wonders for me. I had acne on my upper arms, back and some on my chest and within 3 days of cleaning with the Niz my acne was getting better. Its now 3 weeks later since I first tried it and my back has cleared completely and chest about 80%. The acne was from a test/winny cycle.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
i believe that is run of the mill retin-a. no? that stuff was a little harsh for my taste.

Retin-A is the most well known brand name for tretinoin. There isnt really any difference between Retin-A and generic tretinoin. But they do come in several different concentrations. The first batch I tried was too harsh for me. Just as what you experienced. It was like even a little dab would cause dry itchy painful chaffing. But now I use the 0.05% version and it's alot easier to cover the whole affected area without too much of the drug being systemically distributed. Maybe you'd have better luck with a lower concentration. I know I couldnt even stick with it longer than a week or so w/ the stronger concentration because the sides were absolutely excrutiatingly unbareable. They even make a 0.025% version if youre really sensitive. Plus the right kind of moisturizer is key.
I like cetaphil. Some people like regular vasoline intensive care or aquaphor. My derm gave some other kind too, but I forget the name. (he only gave me a tiny sample.)

Beige

Awards
  • Established
Oral antibiotics are best. Safe, effective, and fast acting. Creams and lotions take too long to work and are mild. B5 is hit or miss. Accutane has a negative impact on lipids for some people, and that's bad when used with AS. Only catch with oral antiobiotics is they shouldn't be used for more than 4 weeks per year because you run the risk of developing resistance to them and they also destroy beneficial bacteria.

But outside of steroid use, creams/lotions are best because they are safest for long-term use
My dermo had me on tetricycline and then minocycline each for like 18 months a piece. My skin never really completely cleared up during any point of those 3 years of usage. Are you saying that I was taking antibiotics that I was immune to for 148 of those 156 weeks?

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Same, I was on different anti-biotics for 6+ months solid and got zero help from it after the first month or two.

MystikalSoul

Awards
i used proactive and didnt really work.. now i use Oxy the face wash(10% benzo) the little oxy pads (2% salicylic) and the oxy cream (10% benzo) and it works great

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established

AHHH....hell yea, old scool trick. i'm glad i'm not alone on this one. this meathod works the best for me, others are spending much money on this or that.....i can pick up a bottle of Dawn for 3 bucks, and get results.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
those medications do not always solve the problem. if your acne was bad enough that those medications did not solve the problem i am surprised you and your doctor did not look into accutane. did he even run simple blood tests to determine if it might be an option? tretnoin medications? topical antibiotics?

it sounds like you acne cleared up simple because of aging out of puberty, rather than antibiotic use.

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
This might sound odd, but Melanotan actually cleared up a lot of my acne.

Rumpnuts

Rumpnuts

Awards

Thats funny, I acctually work at the plant that produces all of the dawn, joy, and ivory dish soaps. A big pipe busted open one day spilling soap all over the roof. After squeeging the roof off for hours my feet were soaked with water and dish soap and not a pair of dry socks to be found, so I walked around with soapy shoes for the next 10 hours. next day noticed my feet itched really bad, took a look at them and the entire top layer of skin on my foot had died off and was starting to peel.

I'll have to try this method, considering I have first hand experience on how powerful that Sh!T is!