increasing androgen receptor density

joebiggie

joebiggie

Awards
I, as many others might, have reached a point in my anabolic career where I realize it might be difficult for me to put on much more muscle simply because of my genetics. In part I feel this is because of androgen receptor density, or a lack thereof.

Without getting into the debate over whether anabolic steroids use upregulates or downregulates AR density, what are some compounds, other than hGH and x-factor (and from a study that eludes me at the moment, anavar) that have been proven to upregulate AR density?

On this same note I have heard LG has a new product called "Receptor" coming out that purports to accomplish this very task, but given LG's track record I play the skeptic to say the least.

If anyone has heard of anything that increases androgen receptor density I'm sure there are more than a few people willing to listen

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Search Pubmed for carnosine on this subject. I seem to remember a study that showed it increased density/total number.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's a supplement by BioQuest called "Androcept" making claims for that very purpose.

Looks pretty bunk IMO, but maybe someone with a greater knowledge of what they're attempting to accomplish with this formulation can chime in.

Androcept:
Serving Size: 4 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
Amount Per Serving: Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol) 400 IU, Zinc (as Zinc DL-Methionine Complex) 15mg, L-Carnitine (as L-Carnitine L-Tartrate) 2000mg

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
There's a few studies supporting L-Carnitine L-Tartrate and upregulation of AR. L-Carnitine L-Tartrate supplementation may be worth it for other reasons, now if only we could get a board sponsor to carry the bulk powder.

1: Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Jul;38(7):1288-96. Links
Erratum in:
Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Oct;38(10):1861.
Androgenic responses to resistance exercise: effects of feeding and L-carnitine.
Kraemer WJ, Spiering BA, Volek JS, Ratamess NA, Sharman MJ, Rubin MR, French DN, Silvestre R, Hatfield DL, Van Heest JL, Vingren JL, Judelson DA, Deschenes MR, Maresh CM.
Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269-1110, USA. [email protected]

PURPOSE: The purpose of this investigation was to determine the effects of 3 wk of L-carnitine L-tartrate (LCLT) supplementation and post-resistance-exercise (RE) feeding on hormonal and androgen receptor (AR) responses. METHODS: Ten resistance-trained men (mean+/-SD: age, 22+/-1 yr; mass, 86.3+/-15.3 kg; height, 181+/-11 cm) supplemented with LCLT (equivalent to 2 g of L-carnitine per day) or placebo (PL) for 21 d, provided muscle biopsies for AR determinations, then performed two RE protocols: one followed by water intake, and one followed by feeding (8 kcal.kg body mass, consisting of 56% carbohydrate, 16% protein, and 28% fat). RE protocols were randomized and included serial blood draws and a 1-h post-RE biopsy. After a 7-d washout period, subjects crossed over, and all experimental procedures were repeated. RESULTS: LCLT supplementation upregulated (P<0.05) preexercise AR content compared with PL (12.9+/-5.9 vs 11.2+/-4.0 au, respectively). RE increased (P<0.05) AR content compared with pre-RE values in the PL trial only. Post-RE feeding significantly increased AR content compared with baseline and water trials for both LCLT and PL. Serum total testosterone concentrations were suppressed (P<0.05) during feeding trials with respect to corresponding water and pre-RE values. Luteinizing hormone demonstrated subtle, yet significant changes in response to feeding and LCLT. CONCLUSION: In summary, these data demonstrated that: 1) feeding after RE increased AR content, which may result in increased testosterone uptake, and thus enhanced luteinizing hormone secretion via feedback mechanisms; and 2) LCLT supplementation upregulated AR content, which may promote recovery from RE.

PMID: 16826026 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

cgcrz8

Awards
Muscular Development says Receptor is a good product. The lastest issue has an article about SIRT inhibitors (sp?).

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Another random question... but does anyone know if L-Carnitine causes the same androgen receptor density improvement as L-Carnitine Tartrate? As odd of a source it seems to be for stimulating my brain storming, I read a Muscletech ad in Flex, and they were boasting how they included a full serving of L-Carnitine, and said when you buy LCLT it isn't 100% pure Carnitine, so you're losing out on some active compound (their new NeuroCore series products).

If not... I'll go buy another 1kg from my usual source :) Thanks!