my natural potential?

• Thread starter supersaiyanbody
  • Start date

supersaiyanbody

Awards
I am 20 years old 5'9" 130 lbs and 6% bf

If i remember correctly my body needs around 1600 Calories daily

i have been lifting for about a year .. there have been phases where i lift minimally and my diet is poor. but for 6 months straight with proper diet and heavy lifting i see no weight gains...although i notice strength increases..

i drink muscle milk try to eat 4 egg whites every morning and eat breakfast lunch and dinner

Do I have a chance at gaining 20 lbs naturally?

my metabolism is FAST

Chemist2234

Chemist2234

Awards
if you looking to gain 20 pounds naturally your gonna need alot more than 1600 calories day and your gonna need to eat more meals a day and spread them out. Im sure if you look around you can find some good information on what you need to be eating to gain that much wieght.

supersaiyanbody

Awards
my biology prof. claims that no matter how much protein you eat your body cant use the extra that surpasses what you need...

meaning there is no point in geting more than 60-70 grams of protien a day?

but will carbs and fats help put on muscle mass...

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my biology prof. claims that no matter how much protein you eat your body cant use the extra that surpasses what you need...

working out and damaging your muscles exponentially increases both protein synthesis inside your muscles and your bodies ability to use more protein towards this end. your professor is an idiot.

perhaps he can explain how your body manages to to turn carbohydtres and fats into amino acids your cells are capable of synthesizing into muscle?

also depending on a persons level of physical activity some doctors believe you need no more than 6-8 grams of protein a day.

your professor isnt exactly batting 100 here.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Proteins get broken down into amino acids, which are either used or pissed out. So you're prof is right in what he said, but the statement following is not so true.That 60-70g per day thing is a basis for old people who just sit on their asses all day and don't work out.

Eat your protein 6x per day, taking in at least 1/6th of a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per meal. It's important to eat your protein frequently because (like your prof said) if you take too much at once, it doesn't do anything for ya. Carbs and fats are also important for building mass. Especially for someone like you, who has a really high metabolism, you will want to eat lots of carbs throughout the day, preferably from sources such as brown rice, whole oats, sweet potatoes and whole grain breads.

A good daily calorie breakdown is as follows:

20% fats / 50% Carbs / 30% proteins

Remember that there are 9 Calories in 1 gram of fat, and 4 for a gram of protein or carbs.

I would recommend that you increase the amount of calories you take in by 250-500 Calories per week (spread out evenly between meals) until you notice it starting to 'stick'. Nobody does steroids at 130lbs.

ripped22

ripped22

Awards
  • Established

:fool2:

um, don't listen to your professor ever again. he has no idea what it takes to add huge amounts of lean muscle mass. 1600 calories and 70 grams of protein is why you are not gaining. try choking down a consistent 3000 calories and 150-175 grams of protein daily. you will gain weight and alot of it. forget about taking aas for the time being. at 130 pounds you have plenty of room for natural growth. get yourself a good creatine product and eat, eat, eat! 20 pounds willbe yours in a matter of months.

good luck

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
You shouldn't be posting in this section.

You obviously do not have your diet in order. Maybe the nutrition section or bulking sections are better suited to meet your needs.

angelo212

Awards
  • Established

Your biology professor is an idiot.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You shouldn't be posting in this section.

You obviously do not have your diet in order. Maybe the nutrition section or bulking sections are better suited to meet your needs.
Wow, I didn't even notice this was in the roid section.

This whole "Your Bio prof is dumb" banter is getting old guys. Let's quit pointing out the obvious and give this kid some info he can use.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
First off fellas, the professor is not an idiot. He states simple fact, excess amino acids beyond need for tissue synthesis will be probably be utilized for gluconeogenesis or fat storage. The more you consume does not guarantee added LBM. The problem is how do you gauge protein needs accurately? Besides measuring nitrogen balance it is basically guesswork to start and adjust to results. It is probably better to err in excess; positive nitrogen balance is a much better environment for muscle growth than negative nitrogen balance.

If I were you, I would make note of my previous post. I would also consider increasing your kcals to at least 2200/day for 2 weeks and chart results. BTW, 1g/lb of protein is probably sufficient.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Using the 1g per lbs bodymass for protein is a great way to figure out how many calories you need to be taking in because you can then solve for your calorie breakdown.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Using the 1g per lbs bodymass for protein is a great way to figure out how many calories you need to be taking in because you can then solve for your calorie breakdown.
Not really. Based on your assumption, if this lad were to consume 1g/lb he would be ingesting 130g/day which is 520kcals. Based on your above macronutrient breakdown of 50/30/20 (C/P/F) he should only be consuming ~1750kcals.

One possible approach to estimate kcal needs would be using one of many formulas. For example: the Cunningham equation is, 500 + (22 X Kg LBM) and then add kcals for activity based on MET's.

Just remember, it is a starting point and needs to be adjusted based on results.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
you need to learn how to eat like a horse and love doing it. You dont eat enough that is the problem.

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards

If you want the musle mass of the average american couch potato this logic is perfect :D Bodybuilders have been proving this wrong for years. If you want to build muscle you need protein. It might be true that what your body does not need will be wasted, but if you are never taking in more then your body needs how is it going to grow? As far as your body is concerned it does not "need" to weigh more than 130lbs. If you have been trying to gain weight for a long time and it isnt working then you have to eat more food and protein should be a nice chunk of the extra cals you take in. Low rep/high weight workouts are also a nice trigger for letting your body know it needs to have more mass.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your biology professor is an idiot.

No the professor is not an idiot. Any excess will be wasted or converted to bodyfat...Thats not say that he only needs 60-70 grams. I really don't believe you need 1 gram per pound of body. 1 gram per pound of lean body mass is more like it.....There are also a lot of other factors involved here though. Like what are the percentages for the other macrnutrients in your diet?...This is something everyone has to find out on there own. I suggest though that you take anything you hear on the internet with a grain of salt. It is truely the mis-information super highway.

angelo212

Awards
  • Established
No the professor is not an idiot. Any excess will be wasted or converted to bodyfat...Thats not say that he only needs 60-70 grams. I really don't believe you need 1 gram per pound of body. 1 gram per pound of lean body mass is more like it.....There are also a lot of other factors involved here though. Like what are the percentages for the other macrnutrients in your diet?...This is something everyone has to find out on there own. I suggest though that you take anything you hear on the internet with a grain of salt. It is truely the mis-information super highway.

Basically anything in excess if you do not burn it for energy will be stored later to be used for energy in your fat cells or liver in the case of carbs. I thought the professor was saying that 60 to 70 grams of protien is enough and the rest would be wasted. I should have understood it better. I agree in your assumption of 1 pound for lean body mass. I think that all the 2 grams for every pound in a bodybuilder is someone that is using steroids and then you would need alot more protien.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I am 20 years old 5'9" 130 lbs and 6% bf

Do I have a chance at gaining 20 lbs naturally?
Absolutely. Your metabolism isn't that fast, you're just not eating enough at all. In addition to your three big meals, add a large "snack" (a shake, sandwich, etc) in between each of them, and another one right before you go to bed. 1600cals is roughly enough to maintain your current bodyweight(probably a little low actually). To gain an appreciable amount, you need to bump it at least 500-600. Try 2200 like Jonny mentioned above. You'll be surprised.