Heart murmurs and steroids: What is the effect?

1. Registered User
    Answers

Heart murmurs and steroids: What is the effect?

Ok well a friend of mine is being kinda foolish and wants to mess around with anabolics without really researching which is worrying me a lot. I randomly started asking him questions to get a feel of what kinda medical shape he is in to start giving him bits and pieces of advice when I got an interesting bit of information about him. Apparently when he was born he had a heart murmur but he said it is now gone and isn't a problem. Im a little worried that his heart murmur is going to effect his body a lot when he takes AAS but I don't know for certain. Can anyone help me with this topic? I really need to know fast because he is buying one of the halodrol clones tonight...

Thanks a lot~
    Irish480

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Answers

all I know is that you run the risk of hypertrophy of the left ventricle when running A.A.S.. this is compounded if taking clenbuterol or heavy stims in general..... furthur compounded by doing intense cardio while on said stims.

Someone more experienced in regards to the heart and it's conditions should chime in though.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous
    all I know is that you run the risk of hypertrophy of the left ventricle when running A.A.S.. this is compounded if taking clenbuterol or heavy stims in general..... furthur compounded by doing intense cardio while on said stims.

Someone more experienced in regards to the heart and it's conditions should chime in though.
    Thanks for the info man, and anyone else that wants to chime in - it would be greatly appreciated.
    •   

4. Gold Member
    Answers

Murmurs are abnormal heart sounds that are produced as a result of turbulent blood flow, which is sufficient to produce audible noise. This most commonly results from narrowing or leaking of valves or the presence of abnormal passages through which blood flows in or near the heart. Murmurs are not usually part of the normal cardiac physiology and thus warrant further investigations. However, they sometimes result from harmless flow characteristics of no clinical significance.

It's really difficult to tell the effects of steroids on his murmur because there are many different types of murmurs, some more significant than others. There are 6 different grades of intensity and pitch alone. Then 4 different configurations and the timing determines whether it's systolic or diastolic. Systolic murmurs start or end at S1 & end before or at S2. Diastolic start at or after S2 & ends before or at S1. These qualify different murmurs.

Now that you know a little about heart murmurs, let's see what kind of effects steroids could have on them.

Steroids affect the heart by increasing the risk of hypertrophy of the left ventricle much like Ubi said. This could progressively worsen a heart murmur. Depending on the murmur, this could either deteriorate health or not have a change at all. Another effect of steroid usage is an increase in blood pressure that over time can damage heart tissues & blood vessels. This can also worsen a heart murmur.

So basically the moral of the story is depending on the heart murmur your friend has is whether or not steroids will have an impactful negative affect on his health. Chances are if he's still walking around, exercising, & going on about his normal life activities, his murmur isn't serious. He should see a doctor before begining any AAS use to reevaluate his heart health.

Similar Forum Threads

1. TCF-1 and estrogen. What are the effects
    By packers6211 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 10:32 PM
  2. Heart Murmur and using steroids
    By d00fy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 07:11 PM
  3. Testosterone and Serotonin: What is the connection, if any?
    By anyman in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 09:18 PM
  4. What is the Difference b/w M4OHN and MOHN?
    By hognose in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 04:28 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 11:54 AM