Long term steroid abuse

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Prett interesting study I saw at CEM. One of the members there was the author of this study.

Reversibility of the effects on blood cells, lipids, liver function and
hormones in former anabolic–androgenic steroid abusers
Axel Urhausen , Albers Torsten, Kindermann Wilfried
Faculty of Clinical Medicine, Institute of Sports and Preventive Medicine, University of Saarland, 66041 Saarbruecken, Germany

Abstract
Background: In contrast to the acute effects of anabolic–androgenic steroid (AAS) abuse, the long-term risk profile of former long-term
abusers (ExA) is less clear. Methods: Blood parameters of 32 male bodybuilders and powerlifters were studied. Fifteen ExA had not been abusing AAS for at least 12–43 months on average (mean dosage 700 mg for 26 weeks per year over 9 years), 17 athletes (A) were still abusing AAS (750 mg for 33 weeks per 8 years). Findings: Hemoglobin ( +5%), leucocytes ( +33%) and platelets ( +38%) were significantly higher in A. Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) were higher, cholinesterase activity (CHE) lower in A (65 ±55, 38 ±27 and 3719 ±1528 U/l) compared to ExA (24 ±10, 18 ±11 and 6345 ±975 U/l; each P<0 001) with normal values for gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (gamma-GT) and bilirubin. ALT, AST and CHE correlated significantly with the extent (duration and weekly dosage, expressed as a point score) of AAS abuse in A ( =0 68, 0.57 and −0.62; each P<0 01). Total and LDL-cholesterol were similar, HDL-cholesterol was distinctly lower in A than in ExA (17 ±11 and 43 ±11 mg/dl; P<0 001) and correlated negatively with the extent of AAS abuse ( =−0 50; P<0 05). Testosterone and estradiol were significantly higher, while LH, FSH and the sexual-hormone-binding (SHB) protein were lower in A than in ExA (each P<0 001). Two ExA had testosterone levels below the normal range. Interpretation: The alterations in cell counts, HDL-cholesterol, liver function and most hormones of the pituitary–testicular axis induced by a long-term abuse of AAS were reversible after stopping the medication for over 1 year. In some ExA, an increased ALT activity and a depressed testosterone synthesis were found.

R

raybravo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yes i agree, ofcourse they are reversible , but being on for a year is a bitch , u get used to the feeling , and u dont want that to go away , u want to stay on cos ure scared of losing what u have , uve got used to training this way , i'd rather see someone do short bursts , stay off with slin for 6-8 weeks , get back on , much better .
the more u stay on , the more the body seems to find ways to achieve homeostasis so that anabolism almost becomes equal to the catabolism , it can do this by increasing shbg , or cortisol , so many things u know ...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Very true Ray. I think the mental aspect is way more damaging. The feeling that you must be ON to make any substantial gains is the problem. I've felt it myself and try not to fall into that trap.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here is a question. Do you see PH abuse as maybe the same effects on long term use? Just curious, not meaning it on a dumb ass question. I just want to hear others opinions.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Not the same, but definetly could be dangerous if abused.

R

raybravo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Bobo
Very true Ray. I think the mental aspect is way more damaging. The feeling that you must be ON to make any substantial gains is the problem. I've felt it myself and try not to fall into that trap.
same thing for me now , ive been on for like 4 months now , i started out at like 228 at like 8 -10 % , am now at 238 at 7 % or so , nothing significant eh ? i know i cant make gains the way i used to , and i ran a cutting cycle (small one ) in this time , but still , i 'm not happy , i'm going back to shorter cycles and look for better means to stay the same and not shrink when i'm off .