Anabolic Steroids: Wikipedia gets it right

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Funny how the world's most popular online encyclopedia provides the myth of steroids and the fat disgusting slobs in congress constantly repeat otherwise.

Anabolic steroid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Popular misconceptions

Anabolic steroids like many other drugs have been at the center of a lot of controversy and because of this there are many popular misconceptions and myths concerning their purported effects and side effects. As with many infamous drugs in popular culture the misconceptions relating to anabolic steroids have likely arisen from misunderstandings of actual side effects of anabolic steroids, one such example might include the myth that anabolic steroids can ‘shrink’ ones penis. It is likely that this myth came from the real side effect of anabolic steroids known as testicular atrophy in which the use of anabolic steroids will cause natural testosterone levels to decrease, thus reducing testicle size. This side effect is temporary and testicles return to normal once use is stopped and natural testosterone levels return to normal. [23]

Another common misconceptions purveyed in popular culture and the media include the myth that anabolic steroids are highly dangerous and users mortality rates are high. Anabolic steroids are used widely in the medical field without any serious health risks to users[24][25][26] and no scientific evidence has shown any long term serious health defects from correct use of anabolic steroids. While risk of death is present in many drugs, the risk of premature death from use of anabolic steroids seems to be extremely low.[27] It is possible this myth gained popularity from claims that Lyle Alzado died from brain cancer caused by anabolic steroids. Alzado himself had claimed that his cancer was caused by anabolic steroids. However, there is no medical evidence anabolic steroids can cause brain cancer and Alzado's own doctors admitted anabolic steroids had nothing to do with his death.[28]

More myths relating to purported side effects include claims that anabolic steroids have caused many teenagers to commit suicide. While lower levels of testosterone have been known to cause depression, and ending a steroid cycle is known to result in temporarily lower testosterone levels, the claim that anabolic steroids are responsible for specific suicides among teenagers is highly questionable. In the United states the estimated use of anabolic steroids among high school students was 2.8% in 1999. On the other hand, in the year 2000 in the United States, suicide was the third leading cause of death among 15- to 24-year-olds.[29] With the suicide rate this high among teenagers, concluding anabolic steroids are responsible for the suicides of teenagers who happened to be taking them prior to committing suicide is a Post hoc logical fallacy. Also, even though teen bodybuilders have been using steroids since at least the early 1960's, only a few cases suggesting a link between steroids and suicide have been reported in the medical literature. [30]

One of the most common misconceptions regarding the side effects of anabolic steroids is known as ‘roid rage’. There seems to be little or no evidence such a condition actually exists. Most studies done on "angry behavior" and anabolic steroid use show no psychological effect, implying that either "roid rage" doesn't exist or that anabolic steroids effects on aggression are too small to be measured. Many scientists and medical professionals conclude anabolic steroids have no real effect on increased angry behavior.[31] [32] [33][34][35]

Arnold Schwarzenegger is the victim of yet another myth regarding the purported side effects of anabolic steroids. Arnold Schwarzenegger has admitted to using anabolic steroids during his bodybuilding career for many years [36] and in 1997 he went in for surgery to correct a defect relating to his heart. So many have concluded that this was due to anabolic steroids. This claim is false. Arnold Schwarzenegger was born with a genetic defect in which his heart only had a bicuspid aortic valve. It was a congenital disorder meaning he was born with it. Normal hearts have 3 cusps. However Arnold Schwarzenegger had only 2 cusps which can occasionally cause problems, especially later in life.[37]

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
That was a good read.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Very good to see them refute the Lyle Alzado & Arnold issues. Hopefully more get to read this

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
good find, too often we spread misinformation, for the purposes of mocking it but spread misinformation nontheless. I am guilty of such, and cheers to your positive effort.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I wonder how many kids are going to get failing grades on their high school reports when they copy that out of wikipedia?

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
I dunno how many people know this but anyone can edit or contribute to most wiki pedia articles.

It is an open source project.

It appears that the last contributer was sympathetic, but one or two edits later it might portray steroid usage in a whole different light depending who last edited the entry.

tomall2

Awards
This is funny because I just ran across the wikipedia entry the other day. But what is really holding me back from taking the plunge is the heroin addiction caused by steroids, I just can't afford that right now. As described in the following passage I also came across on:

InfoFacts - Steroids (Anabolic-Androgenic)

"Research also indicates that some users might turn to other drugs to alleviate some of the negative effects of anabolic steroids. For example, a study of 227 men admitted in 1999 to a private treatment center for dependence on heroin or other opioids found that 9.3 percent had abused anabolic steroids before trying any other illicit drug. Of these 9.3 percent, 86 percent first used opioids to counteract insomnia and irritability resulting from the anabolic steroids." (2)

(2) The New England Journal of Medicine 320:1532, 2000.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
They were probably WWE wrestlers or idiot juice heads. I'm going to guess that the majority of responsible steroid users steer clear of heroin.. maybe it's a needle fetish

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would tend to think that steroid users in general do use more than your average drug user. Just hit the OTC forum and such and see how many have used sleep aids, erection aids, anti-depressants etc. You name em and her's my ignorant reasoning...

People grow up leanring how mad everything is and once they realize something didn't kill them or make them into mindless zombies they start trying more and more. Whether it's starting with AS or Weed or alcohol.

I had more but that's all you're going to get out of me at 230am

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I wonder how many kids are going to get failing grades on their high school reports when they copy that out of wikipedia?
My students would definitely be candidates for student of the month if they wrote such a thing :D

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I would tend to think that steroid users in general do use more than your average drug user. Just hit the OTC forum and such and see how many have used sleep aids, erection aids, anti-depressants etc. You name em and her's my ignorant reasoning...

People grow up leanring how mad everything is and once they realize something didn't kill them or make them into mindless zombies they start trying more and more. Whether it's starting with AS or Weed or alcohol.

I had more but that's all you're going to get out of me at 230am
agreed, we are definitely science guys and some of us push the limits safely. but specificly heroin and cocaine are a complete 180 from steroids. if your foremost goal is comestic, supplementing with heroin and coke are probably not in the gameplan

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
agreed, we are definitely science guys and some of us push the limits safely. but specificly heroin and cocaine are a complete 180 from steroids. if your foremost goal is comestic, supplementing with heroin and coke are probably not in the gameplan
Coke is great preworkout. Might kill you under those circumstances, but damn what a stim.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Coke is great preworkout. Might kill you under those circumstances, but damn what a stim.
LoL.... Smarta$s :D

ManBeast

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
Here is the answer

Sure enough I found the info on the positive aas article on wiki pedia

someone has modified it, and is trying to creat a google bomb for it.

Thats a good thing, meaning if we can get the link out more and more often on every board (I know this sounds chain letterish), the search engine spiders will pick it up and it will be the first thing someone sees on google when they type in "steroids"

here's the link and the information
Spreading the word with a google bomb... - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Anabolic steroid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pinga Loca

Awards
This is funny because I just ran across the wikipedia entry the other day. But what is really holding me back from taking the plunge is the heroin addiction caused by steroids, I just can't afford that right now. As described in the following passage I also came across on:

InfoFacts - Steroids (Anabolic-Androgenic)

"Research also indicates that some users might turn to other drugs to alleviate some of the negative effects of anabolic steroids. For example, a study of 227 men admitted in 1999 to a private treatment center for dependence on heroin or other opioids found that 9.3 percent had abused anabolic steroids before trying any other illicit drug. Of these 9.3 percent, 86 percent first used opioids to counteract insomnia and irritability resulting from the anabolic steroids." (2)

(2) The New England Journal of Medicine 320:1532, 2000.
Well thats funy, eversince I started using AAS my cravings for smoking weed have reduced drastically. In fact I'm not even smoking cigarets any more. If something, AAS had help me quit alot of things that were causing damage to my health.
QUE VIVA LOS AAS:bow28:

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Who doesn't use cocaine to cut?? Seriously... DNP's too dangerous so I just use coke.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Who doesn't use cocaine to cut?? Seriously... DNP's too dangerous so I just use coke.
Well ive been doing it ever since coke had that diet campaign a few years back. "just for the taste of it....DIET coke"