Many young men 'abusing steroids'

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Many young men 'abusing steroids'

The use of anabolic steroids is becoming mainstream as young men turn to the drugs to boost self-confidence and improve body image, experts warn.

The charity DrugScope found steroid abuse was a significant problem in 11 out of 20 towns and cities it surveyed.

The drugs have traditionally been used by elite athletes and bodybuilders.

But DrugScope found evidence of widespread use by young professionals, building-site workers and students for purely aesthetic reasons.

Young people see the drugs as an easy way to achieve a muscled, toned physique, the charity warned.

Supply of the Class C drug, a human growth hormone, is illegal, but possession is not.

Side effects of steroid misuse in men include reduced sperm count, kidney and liver problems, high blood pressure and increased aggression.

Injectors also risk contracting viruses such as HIV, hepatitis B and C.

Martin Barnes, chief executive of DrugScope, said: "The rise in the number of young men misusing steroids is extremely worrying and seems to be in response to a growing obsession with the ideal body image.

"There are serious risks associated with steroid misuse, but people may ignore the dangers or not seek help because they do not consider themselves drug users.

"A and E departments are seeing increasing numbers of young people, some as young as 15 and 16, with needle injection injuries.

"Gyms, drug and health services should provide more information and practical support for young people exposed to steroid misuse."

The DrugScope survey also found evidence of an increase in the simultaneous use of heroin and crack cocaine - a practice known as "speedballing".

In south London, the phenomenon is so common the combined substances are being treated as a drug in its own right.

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC NEWS | Health | Many young men 'abusing steroids'

Sendo

Awards
uhh.. what kind of unsanitary practice are people using that they become at risk for contracting HIV from injecting steroids???

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am all for responsible use, but I must admit that the level of use among inexperienced rookies to diet and training (to say nothing of endocrinology) is rather alarming...at least based on gym observation.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am all for responsible use, but I must admit that the level of use among inexperienced rookies to diet and training (to say nothing of endocrinology) is rather alarming...at least based on gym observation.
It really is. But its not only that, young adults and kids have broadened their horizons when it comes to drugs all together. I think (but have no empiracle evidence to back it up) that now stacking is becomming more popular and with the use of the internet, the resources to find these ideas are endless.

Sendo

Awards
Sharing needles
I just couldn't imagine that. If I have to reinject I get a fresh needle. Not to mention I wear gloves and a ton of alcohol swabs.

Sharing needles is just ridiculous. Especially when they are so cheap.

I guess kids these days are just plain stupid. :jaw:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah you would think with the years that have past and what we know about diseases you would think everyone would know better than to share needles for ANYTHING!!!. That's just dumb.