"Steriods and the immune system"

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I am going to Costa Rica and have been given four little active pills of typhoid. One of the things the nurse mentioned that would inactivate the pills was steriods. Like I preach, I said nothing.

Now I pose the question: "What effect do steriods have on the immune system, and which ones?"

I also wonder how something like ATD would fall into this catagory. I will be in CR for a year and wish to remain as healthy as possible. So rendering the pills inactive isn't my desire.

Does elevated test alone help the immune system? In all the conversations I've listened to I can't rememeber anything about hightened immune systems, although I like it as a concept. Just one more reason to love T.

Thank you for any responses or studies.

M-

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
As I have read both I am not at all sure. its funny thought that the nurse would mention it though. Do you have the name of the drug? we can check it against any known reactions with other meds

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Vivotif
Typhoid Vaccine
Live Oral Ty21a
(Four Pills)

Berna Biotech Ltd

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I know estrogen is essential for a healthy immune system so I would take care as to not obliterate it. Test will aromatize causing higher than normal estro which could strengthen the immune system I suppose. Just so long as you don't leave it unchecked and grow boobies. FWIW I have never gotten sick while on test but have come down with the flu/cold in PCT when hormones were low.

I really don't have a good answer to your question though. Just thinking out loud. :D

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
also need what your taking for steroids ( or the closes equivalent)

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
The last part of my stack is my finishing tren act. I used it in a td application. I last applied it this AM and now need to stop so I can take the four refrigerated pills.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
well tren ace isn't listed but so far as I can see there is interaction with any other perscribed steroid so I am thinking that this was some bull**** the nurse came up with. the only other thing I can come up with is that corticosteroids are on the interactions list so maybe she ment those, cortisone or the like will neagate the effectiveness of the oral vacs, but testosterone and the like are not listed.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I figure maybe she was trying to see if I'd admit to anything...

Me and my big dang size...

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
1: Nurs Times. 2006 Apr 25-May 1;102(17):24-7. Related Articles, Links

An overview of steroid use and its potential side-effects.

Noone T.

School of Nursing and Midwifery, Trinity College Dublin.

Steroids are prescribed for their physiological and pharmacological effects: they have an antiinflammatory influence and suppress immune responses. However, this can cause side-effects. Assessment for the development of side-effects and advice on avoiding infection and injury are essential aspects of the care of patients taking steroids.

Publication Types:

* Review

PMID: 16700229 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Display

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
1: Sports Med. 2004;34(8):513-54. Related Articles, Links

Effects of androgenic-anabolic steroids in athletes.

Hartgens F, Kuipers H.

Department of Surgery, Outpatient Clinic Sports Medicine, University Hospital Maastricht, and Sports Medicine Center Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands. [email protected]

Androgenic-anabolic steroids (AAS) are synthetic derivatives of the male hormone testosterone. They can exert strong effects on the human body that may be beneficial for athletic performance. A review of the literature revealed that most laboratory studies did not investigate the actual doses of AAS currently abused in the field. Therefore, those studies may not reflect the actual (adverse) effects of steroids. The available scientific literature describes that short-term administration of these drugs by athletes can increase strength and bodyweight. Strength gains of about 5-20% of the initial strength and increments of 2-5 kg bodyweight, that may be attributed to an increase of the lean body mass, have been observed. A reduction of fat mass does not seem to occur. Although AAS administration may affect erythropoiesis and blood haemoglobin concentrations, no effect on endurance performance was observed. Little data about the effects of AAS on metabolic responses during exercise training and recovery are available and, therefore, do not allow firm conclusions. The main untoward effects of short- and long-term AAS abuse that male athletes most often self-report are an increase in sexual drive, the occurrence of acne vulgaris, increased body hair and increment of aggressive behaviour. AAS administration will disturb the regular endogenous production of testosterone and gonadotrophins that may persist for months after drug withdrawal. Cardiovascular risk factors may undergo deleterious alterations, including elevation of blood pressure and depression of serum high-density lipoprotein (HDL)-, HDL2- and HDL3-cholesterol levels. In echocardiographic studies in male athletes, AAS did not seem to affect cardiac structure and function, although in animal studies these drugs have been observed to exert hazardous effects on heart structure and function. In studies of athletes, AAS were not found to damage the liver. Psyche and behaviour seem to be strongly affected by AAS. Generally, AAS seem to induce increments of aggression and hostility. Mood disturbances (e.g. depression, [hypo-]mania, psychotic features) are likely to be dose and drug dependent. AAS dependence or withdrawal effects (such as depression) seem to occur only in a small number of AAS users. Dissatisfaction with the body and low self-esteem may lead to the so-called 'reverse anorexia syndrome' that predisposes to the start of AAS use. Many other adverse effects have been associated with AAS misuse, including disturbance of endocrine and immune function, alterations of sebaceous system and skin, changes of haemostatic system and urogenital tract. One has to keep in mind that the scientific data may underestimate the actual untoward effects because of the relatively low doses administered in those studies, since they do not approximate doses used by illicit steroid users. The mechanism of action of AAS may differ between compounds because of variations in the steroid molecule and affinity to androgen receptors. Several pathways of action have been recognised. The enzyme 5-alpha-reductase seems to play an important role by converting AAS into dihydrotestosterone (androstanolone) that acts in the cell nucleus of target organs, such as male accessory glands, skin and prostate. Other mechanisms comprises mediation by the enzyme aromatase that converts AAS in female sex hormones (estradiol and estrone), antagonistic action to estrogens and a competitive antagonism to the glucocorticoid receptors. Furthermore, AAS stimulate erythropoietin synthesis and red cell production as well as bone formation but counteract bone breakdown. The effects on the cardiovascular system are proposed to be mediated by the occurrence of AAS-induced atherosclerosis (due to unfavourable influence on serum lipids and lipoproteins), thrombosis, vasospasm or direct injury to vessel walls, or may be ascribed to a combination of the different mechanisms. AAS-induced increment of muscle tissue can be attributed to hypertrophy and the formation of new muscle fibres, in which key roles are played by satellite cell number and ultrastructure, androgen receptors and myonuclei. Copyright 2004 Adis Data Information BV

Point #1 is unrelated yet interesting.
cc

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
Androgens also reduce cutaneous wound healing and increase inflammation. 1 2

1J Cell Sci. 2006 Feb 15;119(Pt 4):722-32. Epub 2006 Jan 31.
2Aging Male. 2005 Sep-Dec;8(3-4):166-74.

Excuse my laxidaisacal citations.

cc

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A large portion of nurses and EMTs are retarded. I know how I seem to get the anabolic flu about every cycle, (cept this 1 I'm on now). I've heard people get corticosteroids for back, arthritis, various reasons and 1 EMT said "Those are real good steroids you got prescribed you should work out on those and get big!" What a ****ing moron.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
So is it the general consensus that I should* be fine to finish the tren?

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I think you would need to know what kind of steroids she was refering to (androgens, estrogens, corticoidsteroids, etc.).

FYI - From thefreedictionary.com:

Noun 1. adrenal cortical steroid - a steroid hormone produced by the adrenal cortex or synthesized; administered as drugs they reduce swelling and decrease the body's immune response; "adrenal cortical steroids are used to treat many different conditions"

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Of course I want to finish the application but I don't wish to injure myself or render the medication useless.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
So is it the general consensus that I should* be fine to finish the tren?
well the only interactions I can find are with the corticosteroids, testosterone and the like are not listed. I am 99.95% sure she was refering to the corticosteroids. I am not a doctor though. I would continue for myself but that is me, and the pills are a long way from being 100% you know, more like 60 to 80 depending on what your looking at.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I believe she figured you were a normal person who didn't care whether they were corti-steroids or AAS. So she figured she'd throw that one out there and if you're normal you'll just stay away. But that could actually be misleading as well because there are many people who take cortisteroids without knowledge of it because it's for their arthritis or somethng of that nature. They believe steroids are being referred to as AAS and then they continue with their corti-steroids and completely make their vaccine useless.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2006 Jun;31(3):226-234. Related Articles, Links

Are the relationships between early activation of lymphocytes and cortisol or testosterone influenced by intensified cycling training in men?

Smith C, Myburgh KH.

The effects of exercise training on lymphocyte responses, as well as changes in circulating endocrine parameters at rest, were investigated. Seven male cyclists participated in a 4 week high-intensity (HI) cycling training intervention. Training improved performance significantly (peak power output (PPO): 1.4%, p < 0.05; 5 km time trial: 3.8%, p < 0.01; 40 km time trial: 0.4%, p < 0.05). Resting hormone concentrations (testosterone, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), cortisol, corticosteroid-binding globulin (CBG), and dehydroepiandrosterone-sulphate (DHEA-S)) were unchanged, with the exception of a 20% decrease in testosterone post-HI training (p < 0.067). Subjects' CD3+ cell counts decreased by 15% (p < 0.05), owing to significantly decreased CD4+ cell counts and slightly lower CD8+ and natural killer (NK) cell counts. Spontaneous in vitro CD69 expression increased in CD4+ cells (mean +/- SD, pre: 12 +/- 6 cells.microL–1; post: 35 +/- 37 cells.microL–1; p < 0.05), but not in CD8+ cells (pre: 20 +/- 29 cells.microL–1; post: 33 +/- 16 cells.microL–1). Mitogen-induced CD69 expression decreased in both CD4+ (pre: 1570 +/- 1258 cells.microL–1; post: 596 +/- 597 cells.microL–1; p < 0.05) and CD8+ lymphocytes (pre: 676 +/- 434 cells.microL–1; post: 412 +/- 235 cells.microL–1; p < 0.05). Testosterone correlated positively with several immune parameters at baseline, whereas cortisol correlated negatively with parameters of the innate immune system post-HI training. We conclude that the stress of unaccustomed exercise is evident in resting lymphocytes, but not in resting endocrine parameters. However, correlations between testosterone and cortisol and immune parameters suggest that these 2 hormones play a role in modulating immune status. Our results indicate the importance of assessing both spontaneous and mitogen-induced aspects of immune-cell activation.

PMID: 16770349 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Androgens also reduce cutaneous wound healing and increase inflammation. 1 2

1J Cell Sci. 2006 Feb 15;119(Pt 4):722-32. Epub 2006 Jan 31.
2Aging Male. 2005 Sep-Dec;8(3-4):166-74.

Excuse my laxidaisacal citations.

cc
Just this once.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Aging Male. 2005 Sep-Dec;8(3-4):166-74. Related Articles, Links

Influence of physiological androgen levels on wound healing and immune status in men.

Fimmel S, Zouboulis CC.

Department of Dermatology, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany.

Aging in men is associated with a progressive decline in the production of several hormones, including androgens. The extent to which an age-dependent decline in androgen levels lead to health problems or can affect quality of life remains under debate. Clinical results on replacement therapy do not yet provide a definitive clue on the benefit/risk balance. A sexual dimorphism of the immune system is well established, and the differences between female and male immune responses under normal, as well as pathological, conditions are generally attributed to the influence of estrogens, progestins, and androgens. The suppressive effects of male sex hormones on immune functions have been observed in a wide variety of disease processes and appear to be testosterone-mediated. Endogenous testosterone inhibits skin wound healing response in males and is associated with an enhanced inflammatory response. Although there are no known gender-related differences in permeability barrier function in adults, estrogens accelerates--whereas testosterone retards--barrier development in fetal skin, and male fetuses demonstrate slower barrier development than female littermates.

Publication Types:

* Review

PMID: 16390741 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
some people lump all steroids into one category. it sounds like dht type AAS would be the ones you would want to avoid because they reduce estrogen. pct it going to be tough because you want to reduce estrogen. I usually get sick in pct.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I know this about steroids and the immune system, testosterone enhances the immune system and protects your liver. I read an article on it in MD magazine a while back and they had ppl drinking on test and off test and those on test had alot more protection from free radicals and elevated liver values.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
some people lump all steroids into one category. it sounds like dht type anabolic steroids would be the ones you would want to avoid because they reduce estrogen. post cycle therapy it going to be tough because you want to reduce estrogen. I usually get sick in post cycle therapy.
id like to predicate this post with i believe that many people in the medical proffession have no clue what they are talking about. i have a strong feeling that if some of them came upon this thread they would be more in the dark than many of us.

i agree with wastedwhiteboys post that doctors will lump all steroids into one category. i have heard it from numerous people within the medical proffession and also from quite a few blithering embeciles on corticosteroids for allergic reactions and asthmatic problems. trust me when i say you probably know more than that nurse.

well now that my rant is over i should probably say something constructive. the immune system is very complex and i cannot say for sure the effect that testosterone by itself has on the immune system. its effects on the healing of skin and an increased inflammatory response could be mediated through other means than the immune system and i think this is likely due to the fact that testosterone aromatizes into estrogen...which is commonly known to boost the immune sytem. increased levels of estrogen is what i would concentrate more on than the testosterone. however using a DHT derivative like stanazolol or masteron i would stay away from if you are concerned about immune system efficiency.

personally i would simply cut out aromatase inhibitors and let the estrogen build up if i were in your positiion (there is always tamoxifen). corticosteroids were most likely the culprit your nurse was talking about.

id like to put out that i am not a doctor so i cannot be 100% on the above, but testosterone rendering typhoid pills inactive sounds out of bounds to me.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A large portion of nurses and EMTs are retarded. 1 EMT said "Those are real good steroids you got prescribed you should work out on those and get big!" What a ****ing moron.
First off there is absolutely no comparison between an EMT and a registered nurse at any level. An EMT doesn't receive anywhere near the education/training regarding pharmacology/pathophysiology and that's probably why your received the answer you did.... ..from an EMT as you said.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am going to Costa Rica and have been given four little active pills of typhoid. One of the things the nurse mentioned that would inactivate the pills was steriods. Like I preach, I said nothing.

Now I pose the question: "What effect do steriods have on the immune system, and which ones?"

I also wonder how something like ATD would fall into this catagory. I will be in CR for a year and wish to remain as healthy as possible. So rendering the pills inactive isn't my desire.

Does elevated test alone help the immune system? In all the conversations I've listened to I can't rememeber anything about hightened immune systems, although I like it as a concept. Just one more reason to love T.

Thank you for any responses or studies.

M-
Hey motiv8er,
I can say that she was referring to use of corticosteroids(solumedrol,decardon,prednisone,solucortef) when she made this comment to you......reason being taking corticosteroids will suppress your immune system and will affect your bodies ability to build antibodies against typhoid due to the suppressed immune state. The oral vaccine is actually a live/weakened vaccine and your immune system needs to be up to par to begin developing resistance. While i'm not a doctor, i am a nurse and would bet the farm that's what she was referring to when she mentioned steroids decreasing the effect fo the vaccine.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
First off there is absolutely no comparison between an EMT and a registered nurse at any level. An EMT doesn't receive anywhere near the education/training regarding pharmacology/pathophysiology and that's probably why your received the answer you did.... ..from an EMT as you said.

I'm aware as I am an EMT-B (lowest level of EMT's) and I'm also Firefighter 1,2 , Haz Mat Ops 1,2,and Technician and Airport firefighter. Yes I know EMT's have nowhere near the education. I was just talking about how people shoot off the handle and think they know what they are talking about like they're the final authority.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Taken from Legal Muscle by Rick Collins, pg 14

"One of the big secrets within the medical community is the beneficial effect that anabolic steriods have on the immune response."

Trauma1,

I think you are on the money as is WW2 as normal. I feel like I am "unbreakable" (not true of course) while on. I would rather not finish my tren than kill the REAL meds. I do wonder about ATD and ActivaTes overall effect on the immune system now.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm aware as I am an EMT-B (lowest level of EMT's) and I'm also Firefighter 1,2 , Haz Mat Ops 1,2,and Technician and Airport firefighter. Yes I know EMT's have nowhere near the education. I was just talking about how people shoot off the handle and think they know what they are talking about like they're the final authority.
I can agree some people like to think they're an authority on a subject they clearly know nothing about.....but your initial comment wasn't exactly a generalized reference. Anyway, no harm no foul.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Taken from Legal Muscle by Rick Collins, pg 14

"One of the big secrets within the medical community is the beneficial effect that anabolic steriods have on the immune response."

Trauma1,

I think you are on the money as is WW2 as normal. I feel like I am "unbreakable" (not true of course) while on. I would rather not finish my tren than kill the REAL meds. I do wonder about ATD and ActivaTes overall effect on the immune system now.
I could really only see it affecting you immune system if the atd suppresses too much estrogen which you definately need to maintain a healthy immune response......I really don't think you'll have an issue though.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I'm also using 100 mg ed of DHEA, so I think there should be plenty of estrogen circulating as well. Thank you for your response.