nicotine as a fat burner - AnabolicMinds.com

nicotine as a fat burner

  1. Advanced Member
    mercedesdd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    729
    Rep Power
    467

    Reputation

    nicotine as a fat burner


    I was wondering if anyone has any input on the effects of nicotine ( gum or patch . not saying to smoke) on fat loss.. I know lots of bodybuilders use it to prepare for a show . This is a study a friend of mine posted on another board . I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think !!! Very interesting stuff ..

    Effect of chewing gum containing nicotine and caffeine on energy expenditure and substrate utilization in men.
    Jessen AB, Toubro S, Astrup A.

    Department of Human Nutrition, Centre for Advanced Food Studies, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark.

    BACKGROUND: Nicotine replacement therapy limits weight gain after smoking cessation. This finding is partly attributable to the thermogenic effect of nicotine, which may be enhanced by caffeine. OBJECTIVE: We assessed the acute thermogenic effects of chewing gum containing different doses of nicotine and caffeine. DESIGN: This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study included 12 healthy, normal-weight men (aged 18-45 y). Energy expenditure was measured with indirect calorimetry before and 2.5 h after subjects chewed each of 7 different types of gum containing the following doses of nicotine/caffeine: 0/0, 1/0, 2/0, 1/50, 2/50, 1/100, and 2/100 mg/mg. RESULTS: The thermogenic responses (increases over the response to placebo) were 3.7%, 4.9%, 7.9%, 6.3%, 8.5%, and 9.8%, respectively, for the gums containing 1/0, 2/0, 1/50, 2/50, 1/100, and 2/100 mg nicotine/mg caffeine (P < 0.05 for all). Adding caffeine to 1 and 2 mg nicotine significantly enhanced the thermogenic response, but changing the caffeine dose (from 50 to 100 mg) did not change the thermogenic effect. None of the combinations changed the respiratory quotient compared with placebo, which indicates that glucose and fat oxidation rates were increased to a similar extent. Side effects occurred only with 2 mg nicotine. CONCLUSIONS: One milligram of nicotine has a pronounced thermogenic effect, which can be increased by approximately 100% by adding 100 mg caffeine. Increasing the nicotine dose to 2 mg does not increase the thermogenic effect but produces side effects in most subjects. Caffeine may be useful in preventing weight gain after smoking cessation if its thermogenic effect can be used to enhance nicotine's effect on long-term energy balance.

    Publication Types:
    Clinical Trial
    Randomized Controlled Trial

  2. New Member
    bigSMokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    174

    Reputation

    Interesting. Esp. since nicotine water will soon be available to those over 18. It's called 'Nico Water' and will be sold starting in July. Since it's targeted to smokers with nicotine tolerance, it will contain a full 4 mg of the alkaloid dissolved in 500ml water. So spiking a cup of coffee with just 125ml of the Nico Water could mimic the results in this study. Maybe espresso and sugar would be better due to excessive dilution.

    The product should be $2 for a half-liter bottle, sort of like one of the bulkier energy drinks. So, not a bad plan...if you don't mind playing with an extremely addictive substance.
  3. Advanced Member
    mercedesdd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    729
    Rep Power
    467

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bigSMokey
    Interesting. Esp. since nicotine water will soon be available to those over 18. It's called 'Nico Water' and will be sold starting in July. Since it's targeted to smokers with nicotine tolerance, it will contain a full 4 mg of the alkaloid dissolved in 500ml water. So spiking a cup of coffee with just 125ml of the Nico Water could mimic the results in this study. Maybe espresso and sugar would be better due to excessive dilution.

    The product should be $2 for a half-liter bottle, sort of like one of the bulkier energy drinks. So, not a bad plan...if you don't mind playing with an extremely addictive substance.
    Man never heard about the nic water . I was also concerned about its additive nature but from what I understand form researching this the effective dose for fatloss should not be an addictive one. This is just from what I have been studying on this matter and really dont know how true that is . Anymore info on the nic water any sites ??
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    bigSMokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    174

    Reputation

    I looked into it a little more, and it appears the 'nic water' was an attempted release. Turns out the FDA got their panties in a bunch and killed the product, declaring it a drug. However if you google nic lite, you'll see a nearly identical product, now sparsely available. They add a little lemon flavor. I dunno, maybe that makes it a beverage instead of a pharm.
  5. New Member
    ndfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    45
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    144

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bigSMokey
    I looked into it a little more, and it appears the 'nic water' was an attempted release. Turns out the FDA got their panties in a bunch and killed the product, declaring it a drug. However if you google nic lite, you'll see a nearly identical product, now sparsely available. They add a little lemon flavor. I dunno, maybe that makes it a beverage instead of a pharm.
    I heard about that nic water today on the radio, Suppose to be marketed for smokers that can't smoke on planes. it's equal to 2 ciggaretts or something like that.
  6. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,697
    Rep Power
    513132

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Nicotine is a terrific fat burner, nutrient partioner, muscle hardner and it also seems to reduce subQ water. I've added it to a an EC stack for a week or so and it worked great. I didn't dare go longer because I really liked it and knew full well that I could get hooked on it very easily.

    IMO, it makes a good pre-contest type of thing, but the risk of addiction is too great to be using it all the time.
  7. Diamond Member
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74317

    Reputation Reputation

    wtf. lol. i see it has good effect for contest prep but wouldnt most agree that its negative effects outweigh the positives? when using nicotine for fat loss i dont see how you can in any way say you are helping your health even though you are losing weight. however, if you do use nicotine as a fat loss drug, you may as well just smoke, right? its more fun that way. (if you dont have an addictive nature)

    btw, shouldnt this be under the contest prep section or something?
  8. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11680

    Reputation

    No the other parts of cigs are the real killer. Tar etc...How much is an effective dose for those above responses, Bioman? I tried it a year or so ago but the taste of it drove me nuts and I stopped after 3 days.
  9. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,697
    Rep Power
    513132

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    True, the other consituents of cigarettes are the main health risks. Long term nicotine use is associated with hardening of the arteries, but it is not a carcinogen and short term use of just nicotine isn't really linked to anything except addiction..which leads to long term use..which leads to working harder..so I can buy more nicotine..so I can work harder. lol

    I had decent results from chewing 2-4 peices of the low dose gum..sorry forgot the dosage. I've also achieved the same results from sucking on a cigar for a portion of the day..but I won't recommend that one,lol.
  10. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    554

    Reputation

    Nicotine is also a carcinogen... i'd stay away (only dip, its safe!!! )
    cc

    edit: procarcinogen; there are recent studies that show the metabolites of nicotine are nitrosamines (carcinogenic)... although there is research to be done to confirm this, it is much better than smoking.
  11. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11680

    Reputation

    that's about what I was using bioman and it was like chewing on an ashtray but I hear the new nicorettes have some kind of wintergreen taste. probably wintergreen ashtray.
  12. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,697
    Rep Power
    513132

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I thought Skoal was gud fer ya?! lol.

    Yeah, the gum sucks..even more reason to not use it. It has it's uses, but given the potential for health problems, addiction et cetera, I'd file it away in one of those "good to know about, but only use once in a blue moon" categories.
  13. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    554

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    I thought Skoal was gud fer ya?! lol.

    Yeah, the gum sucks..even more reason to not use it. It has it's uses, but given the potential for health problems, addiction et cetera, I'd file it away in one of those "good to know about, but only use once in a blue moon" categories.
    sorry bio, didnt see your above post on nicotine as a carcinogen... see my edited post.

    Also, only peach, apple, and cherry are gud fer yer bodi
  14. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    554

    Reputation

    Just a press release, and rather old, but gets the point across.

    Nicotine metabolism may spawn carcinogen: Science News Online, Oct. 28, 2000

    cc
  15. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,697
    Rep Power
    513132

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    No, it's cool, I actually never thought of nicotine as carcinogenic before, rather I was thinking it was mostly all the other 400 chemicals in cigarettes that were to blame.

    Thank you for the clarification as I loathe to be the source of misinformation. The study seems to indicate that the metabolites of nicotine can cause lung cancer, however it's kind of unclear as to how that applies to nicotine patches..particularly if the user has never smoked before. Over the very short term, I kind of doubt it is all that bad..but keeping use short term is the problem.
  16. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    554

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    No, it's cool, I actually never thought of nicotine as carcinogenic before, rather I was thinking it was mostly all the other 400 chemicals in cigarettes that were to blame.

    Thank you for the clarification as I loathe to be the source of misinformation. The study seems to indicate that the metabolites of nicotine can cause lung cancer, however it's kind of unclear as to how that applies to nicotine patches..particularly if the user has never smoked before. Over the very short term, I kind of doubt it is all that bad..but keeping use short term is the problem.
    Yeah, I agree, the harm in low doses is likely nil. There is some other research out there to support nicotine as being a procarcinogen, just though it was worth mentioning.
    cc
  17. Elite Member
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,110
    Rep Power
    9661

    Reputation

    The formation of nitrosoamines is the reason why you read NOT to grill meat on an open flame. Fat that comes in contact with a flame will form nitrosoamines on the meat surface.
  18. Banned
    jomi822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,419
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    There are also studies showing that nicotine fortifies cancer cells against treatment.

    i used to smoke occasionally ("social") but eventually it began to become more and more often. I will no longer even go near cigarettes, nicotine is simply too addicting.
  19. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    602

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jomi822
    There are also studies showing that nicotine fortifies cancer cells against treatment.

    i used to smoke occasionally ("social") but eventually it began to become more and more often. I will no longer even go near cigarettes, nicotine is simply too addicting.
    Tis true. I quit smoking almost 2 years ago, and have had only a couple cigarettes since then.

    Even today, if I think about it, I feel like I would love to have one.
  20. Professional Member
    motiv8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,187
    Rep Power
    26294

    Reputation

    I tolerated the patch much better than the gum. The gum always made me want to cough. I may have got fewer doses from the patch, but I got great results whe combined with caffiene.
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  21. Elite Member
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,110
    Rep Power
    9661

    Reputation

    Here's an article on the nicotine water supplement.

    ABC News: Nicotine Drink Touts Alternative to Smoking
  22. Senior Member
    max silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,318
    Rep Power
    1230

    Reputation

    I've used nicotine as a cutting aid in the past with good results. It provides very effective appetite suppression, mood enhancement, cognitive enhancement, nutrient partioning, etc. I've used both gum and patch method for delivery, and found each have their benefits and downsides.

    The gum gave me a sore throat, and basically made it feel like I'd smoked a cigarrette in that regard. The taste was pretty bad too, even in the new improved nicorrette. I found that my jaw would eventually get sore from chewing so much gum, as you are chomping on each piece for 30 minutes+, and it's pretty hard stuff. It was good in that effects were only for a few hours, as it's pretty easy to overdo it and chew the gum too fast.

    The patch provided even better appetite suppression, and a much smoother release than the gum did. I had a few times where the strength of the patch was more than I could handle, and by the time you realize this it's too late, as the nicotine is already in your bloodstream. I found if I wore the patch to bed, it lowered my quality of sleep and gave me very strange dreams.

    I've used nicotine for as long as a month, and simply stopped cold turkey. I found that both gum and patch were simply not addictive in myself, as I experienced no withdrawl when coming off of the nicotine.
  23. I know nothing...
    DmitryWI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,532
    Rep Power
    1410

    Reputation

    I've been using nicotine gum for 10-12 weeks when cutting. I do enjoy the taste of it, but never had problems stopping when I need to. And I mean I can have half box left sitting on the fridge for 8 months and I don't have any desire to start using it again.
    I've smoked for 7 years, quit 3 years ago, so I know how it is.

    P.S. who said might as well smoke instead of using gum or patch is an idiot and have no clue what he's talking about.
  24. I know nothing...
    DmitryWI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,532
    Rep Power
    1410

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by canadian champ
    Just a press release, and rather old, but gets the point across.

    Nicotine metabolism may spawn carcinogen: Science News Online, Oct. 28, 2000

    cc
    I don't see of what kind of dosage they talking about. Remember, 1 cigarette contains 6-8 mg of nicotine, smoke whole pack and you get 120-160 mg of nicotine plus **** load of other poisons that make nicotine look harmless.
  25. Advanced Member
    mercedesdd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    729
    Rep Power
    467

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitryWI
    I've been using nicotine gum for 10-12 weeks when cutting. I do enjoy the taste of it, but never had problems stopping when I need to. And I mean I can have half box left sitting on the fridge for 8 months and I don't have any desire to start using it again.
    I've smoked for 7 years, quit 3 years ago, so I know how it is.

    P.S. who said might as well smoke instead of using gum or patch is an idiot and have no clue what he's talking about.
    Who said to smoke instead?? I must have missed that one!!!!
  26. Senior Member
    max silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,318
    Rep Power
    1230

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon
    wtf. lol. i see it has good effect for contest prep but wouldnt most agree that its negative effects outweigh the positives? when using nicotine for fat loss i dont see how you can in any way say you are helping your health even though you are losing weight. however, if you do use nicotine as a fat loss drug, you may as well just smoke, right? its more fun that way. (if you dont have an addictive nature)

    btw, shouldnt this be under the contest prep section or something?
    This was the smoking comment.
  27. Advanced Member
    mercedesdd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    729
    Rep Power
    467

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by max silver
    This was the smoking comment.
    AHH, Thanks !!!!!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Best Fat Burner to act as Alpha-2 Antagonist?
    By rangestormer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 10:18 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 03:38 PM
  3. Any OTC 'fat burner' as effective as ECA?
    By adil in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 05:39 PM
  4. Caffeine as a fat burner
    By Confucious in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 06:39 AM
  5. Fat Burners
    By New Body in forum Supplements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 12:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in