OMG!! Abdominal cramp(charlie horse), the size of a fist!! - AnabolicMinds.com

OMG!! Abdominal cramp(charlie horse), the size of a fist!!

OMG!! Abdominal cramp(charlie horse), the size of a fist!!

I posted this on another board but would like to hear input from all of you as well...

I was doing crunches and my lower abs (mainly left side) cramped up so bad that it poked out as large as a fist!! I was in so much pain!! If youve ever been swimming and get one of those charlie horses in your leg, thats what happend to me but in my abs. God it was so painful! It took about 20 mintues to subside. It didnt matter what I did, I couldnt get comfortable in any position.....im QUITE sure that the 100mcg IGF had ALOT to do with it. But even when I dont use IGF i still get small ab cramps when I do abs. Why is this? I mean for years , thats proabbly why i dont really focus on them like I should

Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Lack of core strength will cause this. I had this problem and after slowly working on reps and stopping short of feeling the onset of cramps I was able to stop them completely. I had serious cramps that caused me to not be able to straighten up and took my breath away but never got a large lump. make sure you didn't rupture something.

Reputation Reputation

A lump as large as a fist? Are you sure you don't have a hernia?
    •   

Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. You might want to get checked out if it is still sore.

I think these guys are right. I am betting my next pay check you have a hernia. I have actually witnessed this a few months back while a friend of mine was performing slanted situps with a medicine ball. It looked pretty freaky. Anyway, result was a rather nasty hernia. You should definitely seek medical advice before hitting the gym again.

...and if it's a strangulated hernia, your could be in some serious danger. On the other hand, this did happen to me also, when I was using my extremely underdeveloped stomach muscles to pull me up, while my son was using me as a tackling dummy.

I too, had balled up in the ab where the cramp was and was sure it was a hernia. It wasn't. As it calmed down it eventually was the same size as the symmetrical side again. It took a while. A hernia would have continued it's prominence, unless you pushed it back in which is very hard to do after the fact and would have found it's way out soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by 6oxo User
    ...and if it's a strangulated hernia, your could be in some serious danger. On the other hand, this did happen to me also, when I was using my extremely underdeveloped stomach muscles to pull me up, while my son was using me as a tackling dummy.

I too, had balled up in the ab where the cramp was and was sure it was a hernia. It wasn't. As it calmed down it eventually was the same size as the symmetrical side again. It took a while. A hernia would have continued it's prominence, unless you pushed it back in which is very hard to do after the fact and would have found it's way out soon after.

well,its now been 14 hours since the cramp and im fine. 2-3 hrs after the onset my lower abs were sore (to be expected though). I have no sorness at all. I feel like i can do abs again but will go w/less weight next time with higher reps. Ill wait a week or so beofre i train them again

i was on clen and got the same thing. trick is to relax and lay flat before it hits completely. i was out for about 10 min. hurt bad - i went white and started sweating. hasnt happened since.
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelAdams
    well,its now been 14 hours since the cramp and im fine. 2-3 hrs after the onset my lower abs were sore (to be expected though). I have no sorness at all. I feel like i can do abs again but will go w/less weight next time with higher reps. Ill wait a week or so beofre i train them again
    Sure sounds like it could be a hernia.....while it might not bother you now it will cause problems down the line.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelAdams
    Good to hear! It's amazing how brutal those cramps can become.

If you pop a hernia the size of a fist you will know it. Without a doubt. Sounds to me like he had a cramp. Hernias don't feel anything like muscle cramps. If you are familiar with your body it is pretty easy to tell the difference in your muscle cramping or your intestines popping out. JMO.
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by max-rot98
    If you pop a hernia the size of a fist you will know it. Without a doubt. Sounds to me like he had a cramp. Hernias don't feel anything like muscle cramps. If you are familiar with your body it is pretty easy to tell the difference in your muscle cramping or your intestines popping out. JMO.
    If he had any type of mass protrude out of his abdominal area while straining I'd bet the farm it's a hernia.....a hernia can cause cramp like pain that will get worse if not repaired....But in all reality it's better to have an exam and rule this out to be safe imo.
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.

I'm betting on the hernia diagnosis... if not that then something internally wrong .. dude you would be wise to see the doc for this asap..
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

Better safe than sorry here. I'm speaking from experience. Intense cramping pain, but in my groin area. After rest it felt better,only to return when exercising. Ended up having hernia repair surgery 2weeks later.Have your doc check it out.

Better safe than sorry is good advice. But I have had an abdominal cramp before that looked like a golf ball under my skin. I have experience too. I have had two, my dad three and my brother three. If you bear down, or cough really hard, or sneeze really hard, or for that matter when you squat or deadlift if it feels like something is pushing out or you get a wierd throbbing sensation in that area after you workout than it probably is a hernia.

I still think if he popped a hernia the size of a god damn fist and didn't realize that it wasn't a cramp, than he is a moron. That is one big ass hernia and more than likely it would be somewhat tender the next day to say the least. More than likely popping one that big would cause a hematoma(sp?) as well.

But what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by max-rot98
    Better safe than sorry is good advice. But I have had an abdominal cramp before that looked like a golf ball under my skin. I have experience too. I have had two, my dad three and my brother three. If you bear down, or cough really hard, or sneeze really hard, or for that matter when you squat or deadlift if it feels like something is pushing out or you get a wierd throbbing sensation in that area after you workout than it probably is a hernia.

I still think if he popped a hernia the size of a god damn fist and didn't realize that it wasn't a cramp, than he is a moron. That is one big ass hernia and more than likely it would be somewhat tender the next day to say the least.
    agreed - i've had cramps that i later described to people as "tennis-ball sized"...man do they feel weird and hurt worse than all get-out if you dont stretch them out before they bind you up.

get your potassium and taurine.

Quote Originally Posted by same_old
    agreed - i've had cramps that i later described to people as "tennis-ball sized"...man do they feel weird and hurt worse than all get-out if you dont stretch them out before they bind you up.

get your potassium and taurine.
    I agree too...the only other time that i have had large ab cramps was a few years ago when i started clen(which is notorious for this). I never have had any cramps anywhere else on my body. Just my abs. I can lift, squat or whatever without any probs. Only when i do crunches does this happen. I have weak abnominals, obviously.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Letrozole for decreasing the size of lumps?
    By jwayne in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 12:02 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 08:11 AM
  3. Zits the size of cherry-pits on me
    By BigJimCalhoun in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
  4. length of the cycle/size of the dose
    By BeatNec in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 1