How do research chemicals get made?

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
This might be a tad bit off topic but the smarter minds are here so...if a chemist wanted to make tamoxifen citrate (or any other chemical for that matter) what raw material would he start out with, and how would he do it?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
This might be a tad bit off topic but the smarter minds are here so...if a chemist wanted to make tamoxifen citrate (or any other chemical for that matter) what raw material would he start out with, and how would he do it?
I would imagine your local university library would have reference books that would be of use.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
There is a class (if that is the right word) of chemicals sold that are genrally refered to as pharmaceuticals intermediates. That would be a good place to start searching. Do be careful of questions like this though as its a long and slippery path

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There are Chemical Engineering Grad students that would have trouble making these chems. Dont even waste your time thinking about it. The equipment, raw chems, catalysts are all out of your reach im sure. Learning the process might be even harder, since im sure they arent published. Drug companies spend lots of money in R & D and they dont exactly want to hand over what they know to the public.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
There are Chemical Engineering Grad students that would have trouble making these chems. Dont even waste your time thinking about it. The equipment, raw chems, catalysts are all out of your reach im sure. Learning the process might be even harder, since im sure they arent published. Drug companies spend lots of money in R & D and they dont exactly want to hand over what they know to the public.
LMAO I would never try it. I can't even bake bread. Just curious though.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
First, you will need to aquire a bunch of pharmacutical grade labware. Your labratory should have an industrial grade HAC unit, as the fumes can be quite noxious. Make sure your area is zoned commercially for lab work. This will save time later
Next, I would recommend (though not absolutley necessary) that you create a shadow identity-ie social security# drivers liscense,ect. This will help in case your work recieves some unwanted interest from governing authorities.
Alternativley, you can apply for a research certification(this is rather costly and time consuming)
Now, you are ready to aquire your raw materials. Foriegn suppliers,usually in china or thailand, are the most cost effective choice. It is a good idea to have plenty of cash on hand to lube any custom delays you may encounter.
oh also if you don't have a chemistry background pick up a good book on the subject, Amazon is a good source for such material.
goodluck let us know how you make out!

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Bro I can assure you we would DEFINITELY have trouble making these lol. I am (well was up until this semester) in my junior year of it and I can assure you that a BS in ChE doesn't do much for you other than give you a VERY basic foundation. Luckily I switched to pharmacy where I will make more money haha.

As for the question, I would definitely be careful asking questions like this. I am not sure if you are referring to the actual synthesization of these compounds, which is a process beyond your knowledge more than likely (judging by your question) and def. beyond mine, or whether you are talking abou companies receiving the product and then putting into solution which is quite easy.