Octyl Salicylate

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
ok, made a small amount of prop using this as a solvent.

200mg/ml prop
3% BA
12%BB
12% Octyl Salicylate
1% TEA

Results
first 24 hours not much of anything. a little sore maybe by the next night.
48 hours ouch.
72 hours I am still limping. there is a nice knot in my left quad.

on the pluse side (such as it is) it was a very thin inject and painless to inject (at least at first.) you could however taste it for a while after the shot.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Out of curiosity, why OS?

Sorry to hear about the after effects.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
It's a UV screen and pretty easy to find. Looks like it didn't work though. Too bad. If you guys ask IBE, maybe he'll start carrying benzyl salicylate on his solvents list.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
why not just use ethyl oleate.
I'm guessing because salicylate acts as a local painkiller and anti-inflammitory. Like I said, benzyl salicylate works great as a BB sub when formulating painful stuff like 4OHT cyp, 1T cyp, tren acetate and test prop.

WATERLOGGED

WATERLOGGED

supreme being
Awards
  • Established
oh , o.k i missed that , a pain killer got it !

BHarper

Awards
I believe that OS is the methy form os salacylic acid (asprin) What would benzyl salicylate do, or how is it different?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I believe that OS is the methy form os salacylic acid (asprin) What would benzyl salicylate do, or how is it different?
OS is the octyl form. Methyl Salisylate is the same as wintergreen oil. It's a darn good solubilizer, but I've always been to scared to shoot it! BS is just the benzyl form, it's a good one too and mild internally as far as toxicity.

BHarper

Awards
It's a darn good solubilizer, but I've always been to scared to shoot it!.
You say "it's a darn good solubilizer" I'm guessing you are referring to OS here?

Sorry for my previous post. I was really tired and didn't notice I forgot some words..:icon_lol: My wireless keyboard didn't transmit I think.

Anyway, how toxic do youthink OS is? I've used up to 10% BA before, but now use 5% and find it not painful. What % would you suggest trying OS at? Also, any suggestions on a % for BS?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
... Anyway, how toxic do youthink OS is? I've used up to 10% BA before, but now use 5% and find it not painful. What % would you suggest trying OS at? Also, any suggestions on a % for BS?
I don't suggest OS. Too toxic. Octyl is the most toxic straight alkyl series alcohol, I think. You can use BS at up to 30%.

BHarper

Awards
I don't suggest OS. Too toxic. Octyl is the most toxic straight alkyl series alcohol, I think. You can use BS at up to 30%.
Thanks for the info. Where can I find info out on the toxicity of solvents/substances other than their MSDS?

BHarper

Awards
Also, is methyl Salicylate useful as a solvent? I know this is used as a pain releaving agent in "muscle rubs" like flexall, icyhot, artic ice, and all generic/store brand cremes.

Anyone have any info on this? It would also be decent for pain relief at the injection spot as well.?.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. Where can I find info out on the toxicity of solvents/substances other than their MSDS?
Get some books on general, medicinal chemistry. That's the best source really. An MSDS can't tell you much useful biological info. It's trial and error in many cases!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
OS is the octyl form. Methyl Salisylate is the same as wintergreen oil. It's a darn good solubilizer, but I've always been to scared to shoot it! BS is just the benzyl form, it's a good one too and mild internally as far as toxicity.
BHarper, I already stated that MS is a very good solvent. I've never injected high concentration though. I think it would be too painful and would generate a lot of methanol in it's metabolism, but I could be wrong.

BHarper

Awards
BHarper, I already stated that MS is a very good solvent. I've never injected high concentration though. I think it would be too painful and would generate a lot of methanol in it's metabolism, but I could be wrong.

In your first quote there, I thought that you were referring to OS as being a "good solubilizer". Sorry for the confusion.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
In your first quote there, I thought that you were referring to OS as being a "good solubilizer". Sorry for the confusion.
No, it's probably me bro. I know I'm confusing at times so don't worry about it. Just ask me again if I don't make sense the first time. I can't spell for sh*t either so that doesn't help! :p

Yeah, it's too bad about MS. I love that smell too! I have some ethyl salicylate (ES) also, but haven't tried it yet. It would be less toxic than the methyl for sure, but I still think it may hydrolyze too rapidly to be a healthy option. If too much free sal acid was metabolized in a depo shot, it could cause serious tissue necrosis. Remember that sal acid is the same thing commonly used to eat off skin wart. It's a good pain killer but could actually cause pain if that happened, so I like the idea of the cyclic and long chain esters better. Octyl just happens to be very toxic. With the exception of methanol, normal alcohols get more toxic with each additional carbon atom you add. So octyl > heptyl > hexyl, etc. It peaks around octyl and then starts to get less toxic again as the number of carbons increase until about C15 which is generally no more toxic than ethanol. You could probably find a book online or easy online source for this info if you wanted. It's just basic pharmaceutical chemistry. Or enter medicinal chem isty and toxicity as a search and see what you can find. If you have more questions, please feel free to ask me too and I'll tell you what I know and try to make more sense next time!

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
it was a shame too as it worked good. tell us how the ethyl salicylate works if you get a chance.

BHarper

Awards
I remember I tried a fey drops of OS in a Var solution and it held in a mix of everclear(95%) and OS 2%, BA3% @ 50mg/ml. It did turn a little pink though, from the OS..

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I remember I tried a fey drops of OS in a Var solution and it held in a mix of everclear(95%) and OS 2%, BA3% @ 50mg/ml. It did turn a little pink though, from the OS..
Yeah, sal acid turns pink upon oxidation. That indicates hydrolysis. Adding some BHT, Vit. E acetate or ascorbyl palmitate could help delay that next time.