Saw Palmetto During Cycle - Bad or Good? - AnabolicMinds.com

Saw Palmetto During Cycle - Bad or Good?

1. New Member

Saw Palmetto During Cycle - Bad or Good?

So I have some on hand (Enough for on cycle and after for PCT)

I noticed my boys are a little small (Im on a PP/Prostan cycle)

So im interested in taking a moderate dose during my cycle, around 320mg ED or so~

I hear alot of mixed reviews-

Discuss-

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kasket
    So I have some on hand (Enough for on cycle and after for PCT)

I noticed my boys are a little small (Im on a PP/Prostan cycle)

So im interested in taking a moderate dose during my cycle, around 320mg ED or so~

I hear alot of mixed reviews-

Discuss-
    Your taking it to make "your boys" regain their size? Thats a new one on me?
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.

LOL

Saw Palmetto.. good thing... for protection against Prostate Hypertrophy.
    •   

4. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous
    LOL

Saw Palmetto.. good thing... for protection against Prostate Hypertrophy.
    I agree. Don't f*ck up the prostate...better to be safe than sorry. I always run saw palmetto when using androgens.
  5. New Member

I always run saw too - but I did see a recent research that said it proved saw did nothing for the prostate. I'll try to dig it up because it was quite a reputable source from memory.
  6. New Member

Found it.......

NEW YORK - A popular herbal pill used by millions of men doesn’t reduce the frequent urge to go to the bathroom or other annoying symptoms of an enlarged prostate, a rigorous new study concludes.

The yearlong research found the plant extract, saw palmetto, was no more effective than dummy capsules in easing symptoms for the 225 men in the study. The results contrast with previous research that showed it helped.

“This certainly sheds some doubt on whether the product’s effective and suggests that it might not work,” said the lead researcher, Dr. Stephen Bent, of the San Francisco VA Medical Center.

More than 2 million American men take the herb to treat an enlarged prostate and it is widely used in Europe, the researchers said. Until their results are confirmed by more studies, men who take saw palmetto and feel it works should probably keep using it, Bent said.

The findings are published in Thursday’s New England Journal of Medicine.

The prostate is a walnut-sized gland that surrounds the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder. Benign enlargement is a common condition as men age, and it causes problems with urination. This condition has nothing to do with prostate cancer.

The saw palmetto is a small palm native to the southeastern United States. The extract comes from its olive-size berries and is sold over-the-counter in capsule form.

Popular herbal remedy
    It is the third-highest-selling herbal dietary supplement in the U.S., after garlic and echinacea, according to the American Botanical Council. Unlike prescription drugs, dietary supplements do not need government approval.

Bent said he and his colleagues picked saw palmetto to study because of its widespread use and positive findings from previous studies, which were smaller and shorter than his federally funded research. Some of his colleagues have received fees or support from drug makers.

The new study recruited men over 49 with enlarged prostates who had moderate to severe symptoms. They took 160 milligrams of saw palmetto twice a day or similar-looking dummy capsules. At each visit, they filled out a symptoms survey and their urine flow was measured.

After a year, there was no significant difference between the groups in symptom changes or other measures, the researchers reported.

Bent said the dummy capsule was carefully designed to match the brown color, bitter taste and strong odor of the extract. At the end of the study, 40 percent in the saw palmetto group and 46 percent in the comparison group thought they were getting the extract, showing it was well disguised.

“It’s a theory of ours, but we think that that might be one of the reasons that our study didn’t work, whereas prior studies did work,” Bent said, suggesting that men in other studies may have figured out they were getting a placebo.

Other doses may work
    Mark Blumenthal, head of the American Botanical Council, which follows research on herbs, said saw palmetto is recommended for milder symptoms than those included in the latest research.

“I don’t have a fault for them raising the bar. I do think it’s unfortunate they didn’t raise the dosage,” said Blumenthal, who has been taking the extract for about a decade.

Bent said they recruited the same kind of patients used to test prescription drugs for enlarged prostate, and the dosage was identical to that used in earlier tests of saw palmetto.

“Now that this study is negative, I think it’s reasonable to try a higher dose,” said Bent.

A larger study of herbal remedies, including saw palmetto, is in the final planning stages.

In a journal editorial, Drs. Robert S. DiPaola and Ronald A. Morton at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, note that only one formula of saw palmetto was tested and suggest that other preparations or doses might work.

“What I tell men is that they may not do themselves any harm by taking it. It’s just that I’m not certain they’re going to do themselves any good taking it,” said Morton.
  7. Registered User

For every clinical test that proves something works there is another that proves it doesn't. You have to take most of this with a grain a salt of anyway. You never know what "company" is paying for the testing. If they want to prove it does/doesn't work, they probably will suceed. If you have been taking it and feel it works for you, by all means continue. I use saw palmetto and just had blood work done, and also had a prostate exam (no fun). Mine is fine and I'm 48. Could be the saw palmetto, might not. I'll continue to use it though. Even if it only works as a placebo effect. The mind is a very strong tool.
    Last edited by delta314; 03-08-2006 at 12:38 PM.
  8. New Member

I keep Saw Palmetto in my supplement arsenal just in case.

There is an article by Author L. Rea about Ginger being essential for the prostate, it seems a better option than Saw Palmetto:

"Ginger is the top of the list in the government's USDA database of 5-LO inhibitors. This is due to the fact that ginger has been shown to contain at least 22 different chemicals that act as effective 5-LO inhibitors.

In my opinion an athlete cannot consume enough organic ginger. It also seems intelligent to reduce ingestion of large amounts of Omega-6 arachidonic acid. Arachidonic acid is found in high levels in the red meats and certain cooking oils like corn and peanut oils.
    Additional protection can be achieved through consumption of more of the "good" Omega 3 fatty acids (in particular DHA) as the balance or ratio of Omega 3- to - 6 fatty acids is another way to inhibit the inappropriate formation of arachidonic acid by-products. AAS and The Prostate"
  9. New Member

I always run it while on - better safe than sorry
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Would it be a bad or good idea to mix BCAA
    By Kingjake in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 10:56 PM
  2. CLA: Bad or Good?
    By Hyde12 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 05:38 AM
  3. Is it ok to take Saw Palmetto Post Cycle?
    By Grant in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 03:24 PM