do they use sniffer dogs when looking for aas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enimity

Awards
Mostly a question for those that may have been visited by there friendly local law enforcement agency in the past. Ive got mostly powders which smell very strong so wouldnt think how matter how well it is hidden sniffer dogs would have any trouble finding the stash. Also wondering how thoroughly they perform the search.

Some say that dogs cant be trained to smell steroids though this cant be true, any one have any first hand experience.

Not talking huge amounts here but theres enough to cause me some trouble if the law didnt have better things to do, rather not take the chance.

parttimer

Awards
  • Established
They may hit, trust me. Dogs are trained to detect odors, sometimes the odors are similar to other odors they may be trained for. For example, methamphetamine contains psuedo/ephedrine. If you have a **** load in your car, expect the dog to hit. Sometimes they will smell an odor which resembles something they have been trained on and will hit.

FYI

matthams

Awards
man, if dogs can smell cancer i wouldn't put AAS past them...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think the point is that no one knows of any dogs currently trained to detect AAS..at least not on a local level. I could see them having a dog trained for AAS sniffing the mail..but I really doubt the average LLE dog trained onto street drugs will be onto AAS as well. It's just not that high of priority.

enimity

Awards
I know a few guys on here have allready had such visits, does any one know if dogs where ever used..

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I'm assuming you are talking about AAS powder not 70's Disco Candy....But in terms of AAS no, a dog will not smell your powder. Why? Because dogs are taught specifically what odors to signal on. Cocaine, herion, marijuana..etc. Thats why people smuggle LSD, and other liquid drugs easily. Now if by chance there was a dog trained on AAS then you would be screwed. But since it cost thousands of dollars to train a dog, I highly doubt the AAS market is worthy of that much attention. Besides if you order from where ever, you can always say you thought it was going to be creatine..?? Just eat big and lift hard you won't need them anyway right...
Have you seen the media lately... the Government is spending hundreds of millions upon millions on the sterioid witch hunt. Hell.. millions alone get donated to education on steroids in school.

And they wouldn't spend a 20k to train some dogs... please......

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've never heard of an AAS sniffing dog and I've toured the kennels where they train those dogs.

Wolfe08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
if they could smell, they could only smell powder/orals...not injectables (so I've been told)

enimity

Awards
if they could smell, they could only smell powder/orals...not injectables (so I've been told)
I would think so as the test e powder especially smells allot like amphetamines, I mean I can smell the shite from a couple of meters away. Thing is though if they can smell it why is it so easy to get the powders through customs.

2fast2live

Awards
The company i work for uses bomb sniffing dogs, most of the handlers have worked with drug sniffing dogs and they dont train them for that, plus ive been told the dogs cant detect roids. Hope this helps

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I think if the dogs are trained to smell AAS, they would be able to. These dogs are pretty amazing, they can smell out narcotics, bomb materials, firearms, and missing persons. And they have cadaver dogs that are trained to smell out corpses.

I have read that most of the police dogs in the United States are trained in Germany, and the commands they follow are consequently spoken in German. I think the cost and priority do not warrant them to train the dogs to search for AAS. There just isn't the need.

"The estimated cost to train a member and dog team is $60,000."

KD1

Awards
  • Established
Ive read in a repsected book that dogs cant detect roids, and are not taught to detect them either. So if they did search you claiming the dog smelled something you could use that as your defense claiming an illegal search.

parttimer

Awards
  • Established
Ive read in a repsected book that dogs cant detect roids, and are not taught to detect them either. So if they did search you claiming the dog smelled something you could use that as your defense claiming an illegal search.

You could claim this, however the dog alerted on a substance that is considered illegal/controlled and you were found to have something illegal/controlled.

As for costing 60 grand to train a dog and handler that is way off!! Its more like the 8-10k range and takes 4-10 weeks. Maybe, just maybe if you counted all the additional training throughout the dogs life you may be able to come up with that, but I doubt it.

roadsidejustice

Awards
I am a K9 handler and currently we do not have any canines certified in the detection of AAS. A canine can be trained to detect ANYTHING. It is all a game for the dog.

As far as a search goes, any cop worth their weight will conduct a good search regardless if a canine is there to assist. I do narcotics raids all the time and regardless if the dog hits or not we still tear the place apart so the dog should not be your concern. Unless you are dealing, I wouldn't be too concerned with law enforcement obtaining a warrant.

KD1

Awards
  • Established
You could claim this, however the dog alerted on a substance that is considered illegal/controlled and you were found to have something illegal/controlled.
Exactly, but a good lawyer will argue that the search was illegal because dogs are not trained to detect that chemical. Anything found in an illegal search isnt admissable.

Otherwise any cop with a dog could just search anyone they wanted and claim "it was the dog - the dog alerted on something!".

It would be like a cop pulling you over with a radar gun that couldent work on your type of car ( bad example I know but you get the point ).

KD1

Awards
  • Established
As far as a search goes, any cop worth their weight will conduct a good search regardless if a canine is there to assist. I do narcotics raids all the time and regardless if the dog hits or not we still tear the place apart so the dog should not be your concern.
Yeah but you are mostly going after people that cant afford a really good lawyer so you can do whatever you want and not catch **** for it.

parttimer

Awards
  • Established
Exactly, but a good lawyer will argue that the search was illegal because dogs are not trained to detect that chemical. Anything found in an illegal search isnt admissable.

Otherwise any cop with a dog could just search anyone they wanted and claim "it was the dog - the dog alerted on something!".

It would be like a cop pulling you over with a radar gun that couldent work on your type of car ( bad example I know but you get the point ).
A dog can be run on any traffic stop and if he alerts then the officer can search, so yeah, the dog alerted on something! As long as you can prove the dog is sufficiently trained for the State in which it works the search, and anything found will be admissible. If my dog hits on the vehicle and I don't find any drugs but do find a gun or something else the person still gets charged. As for the people we are dealing with not having good lawyers, my dog hit on a car and the only thing we found was a pipe, he brought in the best lawyer in the county. This is a gray area, yes, but the dog is hitting on something he knows.

brogers

Awards
  • Established
Just another troubling expansion of government power...

The dog could bark at another dog walking by and they will call that "alerted" it's all bs, and it's your word against theirs anyway. Just try not to travel with it and don't speed..

roadsidejustice

Awards
I don't even know why I bother opening my mouth sometimes. Some of you prove how stupid you really are. You think you are wise to the law and for people that actually have a clue you just prove your ignorance.

parttimer

Awards
  • Established
Just another troubling expansion of government power...

The dog could bark at another dog walking by and they will call that "alerted" it's all bs, and it's your word against theirs anyway. Just try not to travel with it and don't speed..
This one would be tossed out though, good example. You need to be able to document how your dog alerts and where.

KD1

Awards
  • Established
I don't even know why I bother opening my mouth sometimes. Some of you prove how stupid you really are. You think you are wise to the law and for people that actually have a clue you just prove your ignorance.
Dude you are the one being stupid, just because you are a cop doesent mean you are right 100% of the time. Just because somebody disagrees with you does not make them ignorant.

You need to learn how to discuss things like an adult without resorting to insults.

BTW, What Ive been saying is a good laywer will argue such and such, Im not saying that it will 100% get the guy off.

Status
Not open for further replies.