Standard labs for HRT?

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Comprehensive metabolic panel and Lipid profile, are these standard testing for HRT? What would preclude getting a script for testosterone according to the results of these tests? There is also a testosterone something (cant read the Docs writting) ordered. Any feed back is appreciated. Thanks!

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Bumping for responses, want to compare notes, Dr. D?

tattoopierced1

free test, total test, est. levels are all initial tests to see if more tests should be taken if low testosterone is suspected.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This is the test protocol my doctor follows.

Total Testosterone
Bioavailable Testosterone (sometimes called “Free and Loosely Bound”)
Free Testosterone (if Bio T is not available)
SHBG
DHT
Estradiol (specify by the “Extraction Method” or “Ultra-Sensitive”)
Total Estrogens
LH
FSH
Prolactin
Cortisol
Thyroid Panel (TSH, FT3, FT4)
CBC
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
Lipid Panel
Homocysteine
PSA (if over 40)
IGF-1 (if HGH therapy is desired)
Fasting Insulin

At the one month point, I follow-up with these assays:
Total Testosterone
Bioavailable Testosterone
Free T and SHBG (if Bio T is not available)
Estradiol (specify by the “Extraction Method” or “Sensitive”)
DHT (if patient is using a transdermal delivery system)
SHBG
FSH (3rd gen "sensitive" assay)
CBC
Lipid Panel
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
(if ALT/AST from above are elevated, then get a GGT)

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all these good responses, can any one think of any reason I wouldnt get the HRT?

tattoopierced1

possible health reasons, high BP, heart problems in your family, etc...its all up to you and your Dr. to discuss. if you do go on HRT, he'll give you the option of the gel, patch or weekly/biweekly injections..however if you do injections, make sure you have them done weekly.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
possible health reasons, high BP, heart problems in your family, etc...its all up to you and your Dr. to discuss. if you do go on HRT, he'll give you the option of the gel, patch or weekly/biweekly injections..however if you do injections, make sure you have them done weekly.
Good info and advice...

Hey TTP, it's been awhile since I've been around, how has your HRT been going? Last I remember you said you were completing the first month or so and things were going pretty good, still the same? Are you using test alone or is he also scripting HCG, etc.? And what doses now? Very interested since you're a younger guy. :)

oh and good luck with getting the HRT KB...

tattoopierced1

no HCG, however my last visit (couple weeks ago), he wanted to up my dose up from 100mg per week. I told him I wanted one more blood panel drawn before we decide to do that, so I am going to get blood drawn probably tomorrow morning and should have results back within a week or so. I'm thinking he'll up my dose to 200+mg per week, but we'll see.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Well sounds like fun, can they do the shots at the Doctors office, or do you have to take them home?

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
I believe you can just drop by.
Last I heard at my docs office, people with regular injections practically walk in and then walk out.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
no HCG, however my last visit (couple weeks ago), he wanted to up my dose up from 100mg per week. I told him I wanted one more blood panel drawn before we decide to do that, so I am going to get blood drawn probably tomorrow morning and should have results back within a week or so. I'm thinking he'll up my dose to 200+mg per week, but we'll see.
Nice. How has your general progress in the gym been going? What was your TT, FT, etc. looking like with 100mg/week?

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Well sounds like fun, can they do the shots at the Doctors office, or do you have to take them home?
I've heard (but of course not sure) that you can usually decide if you want to make a visit or just do them yourself. I think that you (or your insurance if it's covered) will be charged for each visit to the clinic though.

tattoopierced1

Nice. How has your general progress in the gym been going? What was your TT, FT, etc. looking like with 100mg/week?
Training had been going good when I was taking my HRT shots. I was keeping up with my workout partner which I had not been before. Although, I did do a recent cycle, so that will skew my progress a bit, however before my cycle, I did notice a lean towards the positive side in the gym and workouts. I'm actually looking quite forward to see what dose he puts me on. I am holding off of the bloodwork as I have been really sick lately and dont want anything to look messed up on the bloodwork.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Training had been going good when I was taking my HRT shots. I was keeping up with my workout partner which I had not been before. Although, I did do a recent cycle, so that will skew my progress a bit, however before my cycle, I did notice a lean towards the positive side in the gym and workouts. I'm actually looking quite forward to see what dose he puts me on. I am holding off of the bloodwork as I have been really sick lately and dont want anything to look messed up on the bloodwork.
Sounds good. Please let us know what he decides to put you on and what those blood test results come back as w/ your current dose, thx bud. Good luck as well, 200-250/week would be VERY cool. ;)

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Do you intend to cycle off or are you staying on? What is the length of cycle and parameters for cycling off?

tattoopierced1

HRT is for life bro... its not like AAS, so I'm on for life. PCT is super easy for me when I do do a cycle.