Red Devil Lye is gone, what to use for Syno to TNE conversion?

travbedaman

travbedaman

Awards
  • Established
Well low and behold the company that manufactured Red Devil Lye stopped making it, now what is there to use to make TNE? Walmart has Drano crystals, the bottle just says sodium hydroxide, however after some research I see that the msds lists....
Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent

Sodium hydroxide 001310-73-2 30-60
Aluminum 007429-90-5 1-5
Sodium nitrate 007631-99-4 15-40
Sodium chloride 007647-14-5 7-13

So I`m not sure if this will work since it`s only about half Naoh, anyone know?

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I sure wouldn't just go look for another sorce for lye. if nothing else most any place that sells supplies for making soap will have it. do google search on making soap and supplies.

mildain

Awards
Well low and behold the company that manufactured Red Devil Lye stopped making it, now what is there to use to make TNE?
Travbedaman, try buying Rooto 100% Lye. I found it at a hardware store in the plumbing section. The bottle says it contains 100% lye crystals and nothing else.

madchem

Awards
You can get it easily from a chemical supplier. It is an unwatched chemical and used extremely often in laboratories.
If questions arise let them know that it’s for an experimental soap making project (it’s almost indispensable for making soap)
Also be very careful when using hardware store lye, caustic soda or sodium hydroxide as there may be some unlisted toxic ingredients.
Hope this helps.

LP

mildain

Awards
Also be very careful when using hardware store lye, caustic soda or sodium hydroxide as there may be some unlisted toxic ingredients.
Hope this helps.

LP
MadChem, do you know if Root 100% lye is safe to use? I know it says 100% lye but when I used it, it ruined my batch of test base turning it yellowish. Was wondering if there are other chemicals not listed, and if you know.

I'll take your advise though and just buy future lye through a chemical supplier to be safe.

madchem

Awards
I am 100 % sure its not 100% NaOH. Even ACS Reagent grade which is quite pure is not 100% NaOH. When they use NaOH for drain cleaner they use the lowest quality NaOH they can find.
When used in an injectable end product like your doing I would not use OTC drain cleaners.:nono:
I once tried to make GHB with what looked like a clean and pure caustic based drain cleaner. I ended up in the garbage; it was yellow and nasty looking.

Again this is just my 2cents

PS:Hardware stores never list the full ingredients on there products.

madchem

Awards
First of all you shouldent post sources.
Second That info is bull**** and may apply simply to the state indiana. Im a chemist and I work for one of the bigest chemical suppliers in north America and I can tell you with out a doubt that caustic soda is not on a watched list, specially the amounts you need.
Third. If Indiana has a large meth problem and are watching ALL the caustic sales don't order from a company in Indiana.

Also you can use Potassium Hydroxide. You simply have to account for the diffrent molecular weights.

IE: if your going to use 10g of NaOH you should use 18.7g of KOH . This is because potassium (K) is heavier then sodium (Na)

Hope this helps

If you need any more help just PM me