Why does this keep happening...? (Deltoid Injection)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Recently, no matter what pin I use, 23g, 25g, 1" or 1.5", blood rushes to the surface after removing the pin. I can't imagine I keep hitting a vein.

Tonight, I used a 25g 1.5" pin and blood rushed to the surface (oil did not).

I've tried everything from pinning slower to extending my arm (and shoulder) upwards to let the oil settle.

any suggestions here..? I'll probably lay off delts for a while anyway.

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Blood keeps coming to the surface?

Well here's my opinion, as long as you aspirate and you're not getting blood, you shouldn't worry about a little blood coming out after a shot. Why does it happen to you every time? I can't answer that. Still you're not in any danger and your injections is being absorbed so you're fine.

BTW you mentioned laying off the shoulders. I have no clue if you fall in this category but I know guys who only pin their shoulders, it's a bad idea. ROTATE your sites and always swab your vial tops and injection sites before hand, obviously don't reuse pins.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
definitely follow that :D
I just can't understand why this happens now..

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I get it sometimes.. lots of blood beads out of the injection site.. it's because you passed through, or nicked a vessel.. no big deal.. I pin 3cc's into my delts at a time and with that, you get oil seeping unless you ztrack (pulling the skin to the side as you insert the pin, then releasing once it's in).. oil and blood.. it's a bummer but it's not a risk in any way... it just sucks when it doesn't stop for a good 20 seconds.

I personally love the delts as a site, but I rotate evenly throughout my body using a color coded calendar. :)

1.5 Calf

Awards
Just my opinion, but 1.5" is way to big for deltoid. depending on body fat so is 1". Per my HRT Dr., preferred delt pin is 5/8". As for the blood, as long as you aspirated I wouldnt worry. I have had it happen many times. Delt is a hard muscle to self inject into. In addition, many times it tightens up. Good suggestion is to rotate. Might want to try the 1" needle in center of thigh about 1" down from pelvic bone. I know, I know, sounds crazy but my HRT Dr. lives by it. Cant feel a damn thing

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
yeah, I used just use a 1" pin but once the oil shot out so I figured i'd use a 1.5" pin to keep that oil down there. All was going well... for a while anyway

tattoopierced1

Just my opinion, but 1.5" is way to big for deltoid. depending on body fat so is 1". Per my HRT Dr., preferred delt pin is 5/8". As for the blood, as long as you aspirated I wouldnt worry. I have had it happen many times. Delt is a hard muscle to self inject into. In addition, many times it tightens up. Good suggestion is to rotate. Might want to try the 1" needle in center of thigh about 1" down from pelvic bone. I know, I know, sounds crazy but my HRT Dr. lives by it. Cant feel a damn thing
5/8 inch needle is too small. Use no smaller than a 1 inch needle when injecting anywhere...if you dont get into the muscle deep enough, you can get a type of ulcer in your muscle and that is not fun.

brogers

Awards
  • Established
I've had the same exact problem the previous 2 delt inj's. No blood when pulling plunger back, but after I was done and removed it, blood rushed out and would run down my arm. Freaked me out, but I never coughed or anything.

Last time I did delts though it went fine. Maybe move over a little laterally from where you usually do it.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Might want to try the 1" needle in center of thigh about 1" down from pelvic bone. I know, I know, sounds crazy but my HRT Dr. lives by it. Cant feel a damn thing
Anyone else on here every try this?

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I also have the same problem when injecting delts, I quit using my delts as a spot. Interested in hearing some more opinions on this and what maybe causing it though, I thought it may be scar tissue?

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
Delts have a higher concentration of blood vessels and veins in them. Bleeding is not uncommon.

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
Why not just use the glutes?? I never hear of many guys hitting the glutes anymore... Best place IMO, if anything happens at least the site is on your arse :D