hemochromatosis & BB

theseus

theseus

Awards
Anybody here have hemochromatosis? My liver enzymes have been going up every three months over the past year, and they finally noticed that my iron levels (transferrin saturation) were high 820/mg/dl (either ferrin level or tranferrin I cant remember). Liver enzymes right now are in the low 100's...

Docs thought the liver problems were due to orals (even though I never take more then 50mg winny for 4 weeks) so I didnt think it was that, but have been off for about a month now.

Anyway, getting a liver biopsy tomorrow to look for damage, just wondering if anyone here has high iron levels...

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Anybody here have hemochromatosis? My liver enzymes have been going up every three months over the past year, and they finally noticed that my iron levels (transferrin saturation) were high 820/mg/dl (either ferrin level or tranferrin I cant remember). Liver enzymes right now are in the low 100's...

Docs thought the liver problems were due to orals (even though I never take more then 50mg winny for 4 weeks) so I didnt think it was that, but have been off for about a month now.

Anyway, getting a liver biopsy tomorrow to look for damage, just wondering if anyone here has high iron levels...
Not personally, but family member had the same disease. Giving blood on a regular basis should be part of your future.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
If it were me, I'd look into a naturopath. They seem a little more clued in on mineral/metal imbalances.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My father has it.

Needed to go on a low iron diet, and have bi-monthly phlebotomies (bleedings).

Once the levels were back down he could relax his diet but he still gives blood on a regular basis. I believe every 5 weeks or so.

Sputnik

Sputnik

Awards
  • Established
I've got it, but I have it under control. I have a mild case, so after getting bled 6 times per year I don't have to bleed so often anymore. Iron levels are now fine. Let us kow the results of the bioscopy. Good luck amigo.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Most multi-vitamins are high in Fe (like 18mg or more) so avoid multi-vits! Also, chew a few tums with iron rich foods because an alkaline stomach reduces metal absorption.

theseus

theseus

Awards
My Multi is Iron free. And thats good to know about the tums, cause Id hate to give up steak totally.

Ill know my results sometime next week, ill bump this thread when I hear something.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Male Anti-Aging Medicine 9