Immune System Boosters?

vein-x

Awards
I've got all my gear, and I'm all set. My REAL problem now, I seem to be getting sick lately. It probably has to do with the cold weather, but it pisses me off when I tell myself I'm going to inject tomorrow night, cross over into "The Dark Side" and post about how things went.... and I wake up with a f*cking cold!! I've heard eating fruit helps, and I feel I'm taking in adaquet water, it's probably just the fruit I've been laying off for the past couple weeks.

In all honesty I've gotten 3 colds in the past month, and they were just the 2-3 day runny nose and stuffy head-colds, but they hit hard enough to keep you out of the gym. You know what I'm talking about, the "walking in the cold w/o a jacket" type of cold.

Now I know this isn't the "Disease Section" but could a couple bros help me out on this? I plan to keep an extensive log and I personally feel I have the genetics to go far. I LOVE training and bodybuilding (as do 99% of you I'm sure) but it's really hard on you when half of your week is spent in bed and not the gym! Any ideas at all guys? Eat more fruit? More juice? I remember there was a vitamin you could buy that supposedly helps fight colds and helps the immune system, but what are other ways of keeping your immune system TOP notch?? Any ideas at all would help! Thanks for any advice and supplement tips from anyone.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
super dose the C. Every two hours or so... makes my **** disappear in a heartbeat.

Adams

chemikill

Banned
Awards
echinasea(sp?) is supposed to help boost immune system,
and airborn (a new supp.) is supposed to help if you start to show symptoms.
Good luck-
-chem.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I'm a huge fan of zinc lozenges, plus lodaing up on E/C/A all day seems to kill everything in me that isn't supposed to be there!

Good luck with the colds and coming to the dark side!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Zinc, elderberry extract, maitake mushroom extract, Beta 1,3-6 Glucan, silver biotics, vitamin C o' plenty...and rest, as much as possible.

vein-x

Awards
Can't thank you guys enough! I'm doing all you said (except the echincea, I'll get some tomorrow) and hoping for the best.

Today has really been a lie around, rest and read type of day. I haven't done much at all and I'm hoping to super doses of Vitamin C and extra water, along with proper medications, will work their wonders on me after a solid 10 hours of sleep.

Thanks again for everything guys, and if anyone has anymore info, please go ahead and post!

jvangard

Awards
While most of those supps are thought to provide some protection, really the evidence is anecdotal. In fact, there are just as many articles showing that Vit C, echinacea, and the like, don't work as do.

If your illnesses are in anyway associated with stress, then cortisol might be the culprit. I know people generally think of 7-OH or 7-OXO DHEA, like Lean Xtreme from DS as anticatabolic, but it is generally accepted that these compounds have some profound immunostimulatory activities, especially toward viral illnesses.

You have to be careful using these though. They are so potent that they could cause unwanted sides, or even possibly potentiate autoimmune disease in someone prone to such a condition. I know people use these compounds for weeks during PCT, but no one knows the long term effects of chronic use. Over the short term, these compounds have very low toxicity though. I only use them immediately before I am expecting to be stressed or if I know I have been exposed to a cold or something, and even then I have noticed at times sore joints.

I should also say that you have to realize that cortisol has its place in the immune response as well, especially against extracellular pathogens, such as ones that might cause intestinal problems, like worms or protozoa. Also, cortisol release is a way that your body copes with stress (esp. physical stress), so it wouldn't be there if it weren't necessary. So, just suppressing cortisol all the time isn't necessarily a good idea (see Addison's Disease).

Interestingly, there are thought to be people who are "cortisol hyper-responders", and this might be associated with increased infection rates, certain types of arthritis, and diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome. It is thought that these "hyper-responders" usually follow the normal diurnal variation in cortisol production, but when faced with a stimulus for cortisol release, (ie. stressful situation), they make much more of this hormone than an average person. In these cases, 7-OH DHEA might be especially useful. This is just a hypothesis though, and there is no concrete evidence to back this up (yet)--so if you have IBS or something, don't run out and buy some 7-OXO based on what I have said here. Consult your doctor first!!

Anecdotally, I used to get sick with some upper respiratory virus or other everytime I would do major traveling for business (ie. unusually major stress). Since I have started using some 7-OXO right before a flight, I haven't been sick once. But then again, I might be one of these "hyper-responders", which is why 7-OXO works so well for me in this respect (ie. n=1). It might be worth a try though...

Here is an nice little review:

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000;917:971-82
7 alpha-hydroxy-dehydroepiandrosterone and immune response.

Morfin R, Lafaye P, Cotillon AC, Nato F, Chmielewski V, Pompon D.

Laboratoire de Biotechnologie, Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers, 2 rue Conte, 75003 Paris, France. [email protected]

In human and murine lymphoid organs, circulating 3 beta-hydroxysteroids, including pregnenolone (PREG), dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), and epiandrosterone (EPIA), are 7 alpha-hydroxylated by a cytochrome P450 identified in the hippocampus as P4507B1. Mouse and human lymphoid organs produced different patterns of 3 beta-hydroxysteroid 7 alpha-hydroxylation with the absence of pregnenolone and epiandrosterone hydroxylation in human and mouse, respectively. Both 7 alpha-hydroxy-DHEA and 7 alpha-hydroxy-EPIA triggered a significant increase of antitetanus toxoid and anti-Bordetella pertussis toxins IgGs production in cultures of activated B + T cells derived from human tonsils, whereas both 7 alpha-hydroxy-PREG and 7 alpha-hydroxy-DHEA increased the immune response in mouse. Paracrine action of 7 alpha-hydroxysteroids resulted from their production in cells of the lymphoid organs. Comparison of P4507B1 sequences in rat, human, and two mouse species showed that one amino acid change might explain important differences in KM for 7 alpha-hydroxylation, and suggested that such differences might contribute to the extent of immune response.

jdahlum

Board Supporter
Awards
I have been using a product called Airborne for past few months and I am a COMPLETE believer in it now. I have three young kids who always bring home colds and since I have started taking Airborne I have been able stay well through several colds the kids had. I start taking it as soon as I feel even a hint of a cold or as soon as one of the kids seems to be getting sick and it ALWAYS gets rid of it for me. I don't know if it will work for you guys or not but it works awesome for me.

It is really just a big vitamin with some other herbs and minerals added in. Kinda pricey too but there is no way I will ever be without it! Check it out and see what you think.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
i hear good things about the proprietary blend Airborne.

I use zinc, vit C, and Colostrum.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Resveratrols
grape seed extract
green tea extract(standardized to high catchens/egcg)
Turmeric extract(standardized to high curcumin)
ALA/R-aLA/KR-aLA
lycopene

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I will be starting a new thread in the supplement area just on a not getting sick stack. Right now I am running all kinds of herbs, and botanicals that strengthen the immune system and fight of infection, bacteria, etc... I think one of the best supplements out there are the Maitake and ****ake mushrooms although very expensive.
http://www.vitacost.com/GardenofLifeFungalDefense if I had the money to put out I would invest in some of this, I love GOL products but they are expensive. Here are some other brands of mushroom complex's
http://www.vitacost.com/store/products/ProductSearch.cfm?SearchText=mushrooms&SearchBy=PN

Also try taking Goldensea with Echinacea. Use a liquid extract it is cosidered to be the best. If not try using it in root for and make sure it is standerdized. Look out for my thread as I will be exprimenting with different herbs to see if it keeps me from getting the winter bug.

tremelo24

Board Supporter
Awards
Everyone has made excellent suggestions so far. I am a huge fan of R-ALA and KR-ALA.

I have weak tonsils which leave (used to) me open to colds, sinusitis, strep throat etc. I used to get reaaaally sick 3 to 4 times a year.

I have been drinking 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar *with mother* ED for the past 12 months. I have not been sick a single time. Nowhere close. Apple cider vinegar is a dirt cheap natty way to cleanse all of your internal organs and keep your immune system running at full tilt.

Note, it is crucial you get the kind "with mother" otherwise the natural antibiotic properties will be missing.

sly

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
NAC has been the best immune booster for me since taking it the last couple of years, I rarely get sick. The wife and kids were sick recently and I came through unscathed again. :)