doxycycline hamper gains/PCT?

aries

Board Sponsor
Awards
hi,

prescribed 100mg per day of doxycycline for some acne.. How would this hamper my gains during PCT? I know dr. d addressed this somewhat but i'd like a more detailed understanding of how much this would hurt my gains especially during pct period.. DOes it hurt protein synthesis?

I'm supplementing with acidophilus right now... would this be beneficial for doxycycline since it kills healthy bacteria as well in the intestinal tract? Thanks..

I have not started doxycycline for fear of hampering my gains.. if anyone can help, thanks..

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
hi,

prescribed 100mg per day of doxycycline for some acne.. How would this hamper my gains during PCT? I know dr. d addressed this somewhat but i'd like a more detailed understanding of how much this would hurt my gains especially during pct period.. DOes it hurt protein synthesis?

I'm supplementing with acidophilus right now... would this be beneficial for doxycycline since it kills healthy bacteria as well in the intestinal tract? Thanks..

I have not started doxycycline for fear of hampering my gains.. if anyone can help, thanks..
The way that the tetracyclines work is by inhibition of protein synthesis. So by theory yes it should hamper gains, but in the real-world, I as well as others have never experienced any problems. I posted a little excerpt from a drug-profile site in my PowerFULL thread here. might wanna check it out to understand what I mean.

One more thing...I also supp'ed with acidipholus to try and make up for any lack of good bacteria and all it seemed to do was make the antibiotics work less and made the acne come right back.

If I were you, I'd tough it out if not too bad and complete PCT w/o the anti's. If problems still arise after that, then throw it in the mix.

I also noticed that during PCT, tetra's never were strong enough to help acne breakouts...so I just use them if I'm ON, or if I'm natty.

aequitas

aequitas

Awards
Actually this is a big misconception. Doxycycline does inhibit protein synthesis, however only in bacteria. It inhibits translation of RNA by binding to the 30s ribosome, which is specific to bacteria. Humans have a 40s ribosomal subunit.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yes, but bacteria is used to breakdown the protein. Unless I'm still confused, cause you just said a whole lotta stuff that I don't understand. :)

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I've been on doxycycline (200 mg) for more than a year on and off (on most of it) and I didn't see any difference in gains and didn't see probiotics helped at all.

scarfacebling

Awards
I have been thinking of doing vet doxycycline hyclate that is super cheap off the internet. i was woundering if during PCT it will really help and if anyone else has taken this version of doxycycline. Right now you can get 50 100mg pills for 7.99 its so cheap i would like to give it a try even though antibiotics mess up my butt LOL.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Damn, it is cheap, link don't work though. I pay almost $30 for a month supply. As far as butt goes I have to take lactase enzymes when use antibiotics.

scarfacebling

Awards
Damn, it is cheap, link don't work though. I pay almost $30 for a month supply. As far as butt goes I have to take lactase enzymes when use antibiotics.
It wasnt supposed to be a link i belive that would violate board rules i just cut and pasted so i didnt have to spell.

aequitas

aequitas

Awards
Yes, but bacteria is used to breakdown the protein. Unless I'm still confused, cause you just said a whole lotta stuff that I don't understand. :)
What protein are you talking about exactly?

Tetracyclines target bacteria to decrease protein production within the cell. This leads to inadequate growth and multiplication of bacteria. Tetracyclines and many other families of antibiotics target specific components that are involved in the production of proteins and inhibit their function, ie the ribosomes i mentioned are one target. The bottom line is tetracyclines and almost all antibiotics only target bacterial cells. They do not have any effect in human cells on protein synthesis. If antibiotics caused a decrease in production of protein in human cells, it would be very harmful to us, thus they would not be used.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
What protein are you talking about exactly?

Tetracyclines target bacteria to decrease protein production within the cell. This leads to inadequate growth and multiplication of bacteria. Tetracyclines and many other families of antibiotics target specific components that are involved in the production of proteins and inhibit their function, ie the ribosomes i mentioned are one target. The bottom line is tetracyclines and almost all antibiotics only target bacterial cells. They do not have any effect in human cells on protein synthesis. If antibiotics caused a decrease in production of protein in human cells, it would be very harmful to us, thus they would not be used.
I see now. I was reffering to all proteins..including the ones we ingest for growth.

I've also heard that the tetracyclines can decrease collagen synthesis, do you happen to know if this is also true?

Sky9

Tan from the Island
Awards
  • Established
Very educational thread, I dont take any of these things, but its still good to know. I have a feeling this thread will be referenced in the future for a similar question.

aequitas

aequitas

Awards
As for collagen synthesis a ton of studies show that it does in cultured human cells and in other animals. After looking through some of the studies none of the research states a proposed mechanism for this. However, it is known that tetracyclines decrease the effect of Vitamin C. And a major role of vitamin c is to aid in collagen synthesis. This could possibly be why it causes this. But will it affect collagen synthesis to an appreciable extent in humans?.... i highly doubt it

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
As for collagen synthesis a ton of studies show that it does in cultured human cells and in other animals. After looking through some of the studies none of the research states a proposed mechanism for this. However, it is known that tetracyclines decrease the effect of Vitamin C. And a major role of vitamin c is to aid in collagen synthesis. This could possibly be why it causes this. But will it affect collagen synthesis to an appreciable extent in humans?.... i highly doubt it
That sounds reasonable, thx for the explanation.